Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've done a lot of reading, was hoping to talk to someone that has one.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The XB bikes seem to be okay. The real problem is the lack of HP and the price. You have less HP from an XB then you do any *** 600 (some call a beginner bike). Sounds like the XB is still getting a lot of warranty problems (I guess the fuel pump is the latest).

They are not worth the price tag. Why pay that much for a so-called American bike (made of almost all Italian and Japanese parts) when you can get a faster and more reliable one from Japan (at least they are made in America too for you patriots).

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sidewalk said:
Why pay that much for a so-called American bike (made of almost all Italian and Japanese parts) when you can get a faster and more reliable one from Japan (at least they are made in America too for you patriots).
Noted all your Buell responses, and can answer why I'd pay $10K for a Buell...

1). I buy bikes on heart appeal, not HP/torque (yawn) values. While I enjoy my XX Blackbird, and it is a keeper, I get bigger grins on this Buell thing.

2). I can't remember the last time I wanted to go over 100mph on a public road with traffic. My XX is overkill, as is the majority of Asian sportbikes. The Buell has more performance than I need, and more than most others need or will ever use. Who cares if other bikes have more HP or can go 150 while the Buell goes 130? Big deal. There's always a bike out there with more HP.

3). My M2 has been utterly reliable. Early ones had their problems. Recent year models are well sorted.

4). I like riding something not seen often. It is mind numbing the number of H-D's and Asian sportbikes out there.... so many, they're not seen ;)

Hey, anyway, we're all different. What floats my boat doesn't float others :rolleyes:

·
Registered
629 Posts
My boat, I mean, Buell doesn't float. It sits in the garage collecting dust until I can figure out what is wrong, and find the money to fix it...

My only issue to your response is:

$$$

You are paying insurance rates for a big engine that doesn't perform to the amount of money you are paying. You could easily ride an EX500 for near nothing on insurance, with the same performance. And the EX probably handles better.

Not going to tell anyone what to ride. But I won't hold back my opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sidewalk said:
My only issue to your response is:

$$$

You are paying insurance rates for a big engine that doesn't perform to the amount of money you are paying. You could easily ride an EX500 for near nothing on insurance, with the same performance.
Annual insurance on my '02 Cyclone: $196

Annual insurance on my '99 XX: $428

Annual insurance on my '02 Superhawk: $376

I have no issue with insurance for my Cyclone.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My insurance was $1500 a year, before I cancelled it because I couldn't ride it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Oh, and that is with a perfect record.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Sidewalk said:
My insurance was $1500 a year, before I cancelled it because I couldn't ride it.
That's because one of you is 23 and the other is 45 yrears old with 3 bikes. The insurance companies have figured out that a) you can only ride one at a time and b) old guys don't crash as much.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The age difference between sidewalk (23) and sfarson (45) may have alot to do with the difference in insurance cost. I'm sure there are other factors such as insurance company, location, etc. that account for the difference as well.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My insurance used to be quite expensive (Allstate), then decided to shop around. Progressive is taking good care of me... good record, multi-bike discount, slow middle age guy ;), but what really helped was my AMA membership -- guess this communicates a certain "seriousness" about the sport.

Steve

·
Registered
629 Posts
HEHE, Progressive quoted me $2500 last year :D

My wife's bike is only $400 a year, but it is a Blast.

Wish they went by HP, not CC's, I would be much better off.

At least I may actually be able to ride this POS soon, now that I have found what was wrong with it. Guess HD can't afford to spare a couple drops of Loc-Tite for them Buell engines :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sidewalk said:
The XB bikes seem to be okay. The real problem is the lack of HP and the price. You have less HP from an XB then you do any *** 600 (some call a beginner bike). Sounds like the XB is still getting a lot of warranty problems (I guess the fuel pump is the latest).

They are not worth the price tag. Why pay that much for a so-called American bike (made of almost all Italian and Japanese parts) when you can get a faster and more reliable one from Japan (at least they are made in America too for you patriots).
First, I am a little late on this post.

Second, If you compare a 600ss to any 900 and say there is no difference then you have no clue, or, you haven't really been on a ride that any 9 can take you for. Yes, there is less than .3 sec difference in a 1/4 mile between an F4i and a 954rr, and no weight difference. But anyone, YES anyone, who has twisted the throttle of the two can tell you what a 9x is all about. The shear power of that 900, although it is not the same as a 954, R1 or GSX-R1000 is huge compared to any 600. And Buell did a great thig by making it rideable (?) for the street. This comming from someone who owns a 954rr and a FXD, the 954 is for sale if you want it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
~LOL~ I'm 45 yrs old, riding for 30 yrs, have a clean driver record (they haven't caught me) and own 2 Buell Blasts! One for the street and one race bike. The Street Blast with just minimun liabilty, costs me a Whole $50 per year to insure. I ain't shittin ya.
BTW- I love all Buells, but won't own an old tube framer, or the new XB's. The reason being, YEs high insurance, lack of performance on the XB's and lack of reliability on the tube framers.
But don't laugh at the Blast... My race bike is pushing 50 RWHP ! And the street one (mildly tweeked)is about as fast as a stock 883 sportser.

·
Registered
629 Posts
wolfe47374 said:

First, I am a little late on this post.

Second, If you compare a 600ss to any 900 and say there is no difference then you have no clue, or, you haven't really been on a ride that any 9 can take you for. Yes, there is less than .3 sec difference in a 1/4 mile between an F4i and a 954rr, and no weight difference. But anyone, YES anyone, who has twisted the throttle of the two can tell you what a 9x is all about. The shear power of that 900, although it is not the same as a 954, R1 or GSX-R1000 is huge compared to any 600. And Buell did a great thig by making it rideable (?) for the street. This comming from someone who owns a 954rr and a FXD, the 954 is for sale if you want it.
Guess I am a little late as well....

Your response is so far flawed, that it isn't even funny. First, and foremost, I am comparing a 600 *** bike to a Buell 9R. You are comparing to Japanese bikes. I am comparing what you get out of the 9R for $10,000 (price has dropped since then, but still not enough), to an R6 for a couple grand less (though closer together now), and putting down about 25 HP (more actually) over the Buell.

Saying that you know how the XB9 engine feels compared to a 600 because you have another brand 900 is foolish. I mean, I must know how a Gixxer 1000 feels like, I have 2000 cc's more!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Blastoholic said:
~LOL~ I'm 45 yrs old, riding for 30 yrs, have a clean driver record (they haven't caught me) and own 2 Buell Blasts! One for the street and one race bike. The Street Blast with just minimun liabilty, costs me a Whole $50 per year to insure. I ain't shittin ya.
BTW- I love all Buells, but won't own an old tube framer, or the new XB's. The reason being, YEs high insurance, lack of performance on the XB's and lack of reliability on the tube framers.
But don't laugh at the Blast... My race bike is pushing 50 RWHP ! And the street one (mildly tweeked)is about as fast as a stock 883 sportser.
My wife put about 10,000 miles on her Blast last year, her first year of riding. That bike has been overall wonderfull. She broke her hand a month ago when she went down just outside LA when someone changed lanes in front of her. She ended up riding another 100 miles that day, then riding about 500 miles home the next day, bike is still going.

I am thinking about picking up a used one for myself. The insurance is also killing me for my X, and the Blast is just way too much fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts