V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer made a great point and after some dicussion this is how I'd revamp the line up:

Currently there are 26 different Harley

First off Sportsterline up

You got

* Superlow
* Iron 883
* Nightster
* 1200 Custom
* Forty Eight
* XR1200X

I'd rid of the superlow, nightster, and forty eight.

Superlow, well you got the Iron which is a hot seller also the specs are almost identical outside of .2 inches

Nightster is like the Iron but with a bigger engine and kinda redundant since you got the 1200 custom

Forty Eight serves no purpose IMHO.

So now your down to 3 bikes

Iron 883
1200 Custom
XR1200X (only cause it's unique)

Then onto the Dyna 5 bikes

* Street Bob
* Super Glide Custom
* Wide Glide
* Fat Bob
* Switchback

I would get rid of the Street Bob, and that's it...Simply because it's very similar to the Fat Bob.

So the new Dyna Family would be

Super Glide Custom
Wide Glide
Fat Bob
Switchback

Onto the softail, currently the lineup is

* Blackline
* Fat Boy
* Fat Boy Lo
* Softail Deluxe
* Heritage

I would get rid of the Fat Boy Lo, sell a lowering kit instead. Now on the Deluxe and Heritage combine them and call it Softail Classic if you want you order the saddlebags make it an option like ABS Brakes

V-Rod leave alone with it's 2 bikes (3 for 2012 due to the 10th Anniversary)

Now comes the touring (the biggest axing of them all)

* Road King
* Street Glide
* Electra Glide Classic
* Road Glide Custom
* Road King Classic
* Ultra Classic
* Road Glide Ultra
* Electra Glide Ultra limited

A total of 8 bikes

First off Road King and Road King Classic is stupid, have an option for your Road King Hard Bags or Soft Bags your call.

Road Glide and Road Glide Ultra is stupid too, have a Road Glide with a tour Pack Option which includes the lower Fairings

Now where it's really redundant is on the Electra side of things

Have the Electra Glide with the following options

* No tour pak
* Tour Pak
* Tour Pak with CB Radio
* Tour Pak with Heated seats

Boom done.

Now your line up is

* Road King
* Road Glide
* Electra Glide

Went from 26 bikes to 13

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Should we do away with the CVO's as well ?

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
What I want from Harley is a true sport/touring bike, equipped with ABS, traction control, cruise control, a good sound system, easily removable bags, good handling, etc. Others make such a bike (BMW R1200RT for one). Why not Harley??? They can base it on the dyna frame or make a whole new bike. I'm waiting. My next bike will be a true sport touring bike.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I kinda think the 48 is cool....unsure about the switchback...sure he meant to keep the street glide in and good question about the trike...what are your thoughts there, Nik? I have to admit I like the street glide trike - saw one a week or so ago rollin down the road in Sedona Orange and it was badass lookin! Stock too...though I don't think they did a street glide trike in 2012 did they?

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Is enough cornering clearance to match modern tires grip asking too much? Mebby the bikes were a match for the old slippery Goodyears but Good Heavens, this is 50 years later!
Anyhow, that's what I'd revamp.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Nik,

The reason H-D makes so many models is because there is a market for them. Different strokes for different folks.

With your plan, you just killed half of Harley's income and caused them to lay off half their employees. Stockholders will be wanting to lynch you from the nearest closed dealership's entrance.

·
Super Moderator
20,906 Posts
Ya I'd make a few changes. Can't really start cutting back on Sporty's until after York finishes upgrading and get back to full speed on touring bikes. For now the Sporty's are all that's filling in the floor plan gaps.

I would make a change to the Dynas. I replace shotgun pipes with 2 into1's, I'd do that to the Softails too. Then I'd build the Super Glides with the 103s standard.

Lastly, I fix whatever the hell is wrong with twincams that makes them rattle so bad.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Taking this as just a conversation....
I'd have the MOCO build NOS Knucks, pans, shovels,
even if it meant using S&S ...engines.

How much could they make selling a factory 2012 knucklehead, panhead, shovel with choice of NOS rigid or softail frame and choice of NOS 4spd kicker/electric foot, or, a 5 or 6 spd trans?
Just my personal belief they'd sell more old bikes than the newer models.

btw: twin cam noise:
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/t...discussion/155609-twin-cam-top-end-noise.html

·
Registered
233 Posts
They stopped making the FLHXXX - not sure why. I have a TriGlide FLHTCUTG (how's that for a silly moniker?) The FLHXXX was not available in 2012. I though they looked pretty cool, and filled a niche, but I'm not Harley marketing.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I'm pretty sure the MOCO has people with triple Masters Degrees in marketing trying to figure this stuff out. You can bet THEIR way is managed to get every dime out of their customers.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,764 Posts
You all missed the most glaring change needed... the return of the FXR.

joe

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm pretty new to the HD brand, but there sure does seem to be a lot of quality control issue complaints on here. Wouldn't it serve the customer, and company, best to address this first? Improve the brand that way, then zero in on styles if need be. I understand that you'll never have 100% customer satisfaction, but there seem to be a lot of issues and complaints. I'm not saying they aren't doing this, but I would be interested to see how they would do if JD Power rated bikes.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
I would like to see the BOD take less and put more into production. If the top paid weren't into greed so much and would put money into not cutting corners, the quality just might improve, but why do that, there is so much more $$$ to be made from selling warentees.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Keep your hands off my RG and RGU many of us like them and the market is backing that up they sold very well 2010,2011 and doing ok in 2012

1 - 20 of 51 Posts