V-Twin Forum banner

How I lowered my RKC

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  plumpbiker 
#1 ·
Here's the story. I'm not the tallest guy you'll ever meet. I'm 5'6" and to tell the truth I'm probably not even that tall any more. We all shrink in our old age. So anyway, for me to be comfortable, most of my bikes have had to be lowered. As anyone who has ever done this knows, it can get expensive.

In May I bought my latest bike, a 2011 RKC. ( yes I know that Softails are lower but I liked the Road King) So as I'm considering my options to get my feet closer to the ground and being reluctant to alter the suspension of the bike, this idea pops into my head. Instead of lowering the bike, why not make my legs a bit longer. I went online and found shoe lifts. For 20 bucks I got 2 inches of shoe lifts that are in 1/4 inch increments. I put 1 1/2 inches inside my boots. Now I can plant my feet flat on the ground with no problem.

So my question is am I the only guy to think of this or have I just given you guys a reason to bust my chops? I have to tell you that I still think it's one of the smartest things I've ever done. So let's hear your thoughts. Go ahead, I can take it.

#6 ·
I did that too. The lifts did just what I needed But, with the lifts in my boots, my instep was super painful after a half hour of wearing the boots. I tried having a shoe repair shop, stretch the boot at the instep..it only helped a little...The idea really worked to get a better stance but I had to abandon the lifts....for now. I will try again with another boot..perhaps a size up?. In the meantime, I. Had a 1/4" heel added to the boot and another 1/4" gel insert ..Even that 1/2" total made a difference...What? Just us CT guys are short?

#7 ·
I just bought a pair of Herman Munsters old shoes & it's all good now!

#16 ·
I really belong on a Softail or even a Dyna. I can easily sit flat footed on a Softail. I've owned several Heritages and loved them. This is my third Road King Classic and once I bought an Electraglide Classic. I love the touring bikes but I'm just too short for them. They say the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different output. That describes me pretty well. I think the next bike might just be one of those Switchbacks.

#18 ·
:hystria:

Love your solution. I have pretty much the same problem, as I have a RK and I'm 5'6". Your solution is quick and cheap for sure.

I have an appointment with a company (Bitch'n Stich'n) to get my seat custom fit and gel pad'd for me. Once he's done with that I'll see where I am... if I only need like a 1/4" I might ask where you bought them from :whistle:

#19 ·
If you only need that much, you can get a set of drug store insoles and using them as a pattern, cut out one or two pieces of cardboard to go under the insoles. To be honest, I don't remember where I got them. I just Googled shoe lifts. I think they came from Canada. Maybe that's why I've been speaking French lately !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.