V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today was my first ride on my 97 Ultra EFI 54K miles. Bought it back in January, changed all fluids, plugs, put on K&N air filter, fixed an inner primary seal leak. I have owned all *** bagger cruisers up until now, and they all seemed to run alot cooler with their electric fans. Even being 55 degrees today in central NY state, I noticed this bike does run much hotter. I am a bit concerned about when it will be 40 degrees warmer yet. It has a Lockhart oil cooler mounted, which I am sure helps cool it. Question is, how do you know if it is overheating? Is there any kind of protection circuit? Will it stall? Glides have the beautiful dash with all the gauges, but I am not as interested in the air temp as the oil temp. That's my only concern now. Otherwise I would have to agree it is true. The character, ride, sound and feel of the bike are one of a kind, and not made in Japan.....as long as you don't mind cleaning grease out from under your finger nails, it's worth it and part of the fun.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
thewater47 said:
Today was my first ride on my 97 Ultra EFI 54K miles. Bought it back in January, changed all fluids, plugs, put on K&N air filter, fixed an inner primary seal leak. I have owned all *** bagger cruisers up until now, and they all seemed to run alot cooler with their electric fans. Even being 55 degrees today in central NY state, I noticed this bike does run much hotter. I am a bit concerned about when it will be 40 degrees warmer yet. It has a Lockhart oil cooler mounted, which I am sure helps cool it. Question is, how do you know if it is overheating? Is there any kind of protection circuit? Will it stall? Glides have the beautiful dash with all the gauges, but I am not as interested in the air temp as the oil temp. That's my only concern now. Otherwise I would have to agree it is true. The character, ride, sound and feel of the bike are one of a kind, and not made in Japan.....as long as you don't mind cleaning grease out from under your finger nails, it's worth it and part of the fun.
This has been discussed before. Some recommendations from the past: get a good dyno tune, run synth oil, get either 2:1 or true duals to get rid of the heat under the seat, get oil cooler, get fan.

I have done the first 3 and do not have problems.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Well I can only speak for myself, but here in Texas, it get's mighty hot and it stays that way for months at a time. I have had only 1 time it almost died on me, and that's when I was stuck in road work traffic in Houston, which is all the time. Unless your bike has problems that you are unaware of, I would doubt that the temps in Upstate NY would pose a problem. Born and raised up there.
I use Syn-3 and that should do the trick for you. Amsoil would work to if that's your choosing. Just get a oil temp. gauge and keep an eye on it if you feel as if it is starting to act up.
Now enjoy the views up there, that's a great part of the state to live and ride !!

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
MegaGlide said:
The biggest temp drop for me came w/ duals. Folks w/ the 2:1 say they have the same result.
Dyno tune and 2:1 at the same time did wonders for me regarding the heat issue.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advise. I will look for some of that stuff. I spotted an oil cooler adapter in Dennis Kirk that allows for oil to pass through the filter first, then the cooler which supposedly allows better cooling and better pressure, which I also may give a shot. I notice the oil pressure gauge shows just about pinned all the way up pulling out of my driveway cold, then once its hot about 20-30 cruising, Harley Synth20-50. What does a Dyno-Tune cost? I did a compression test and had about 92lbs front and back. Did not do leakdown. Theres no oil on the floor in the morning, previous owner said top end done 45k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts