V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would like to put V&H Big Shots on my '02 FLSTF, was wondering how difficult the process was. I have installed other exhausts on metric cruisers and it wasn't too hard. Any special tools I'd need? Does the service manual have the torque settings for the bolts to the engine?

Thanks in advance!

- Z

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
i just put the bigshot longs on my heritage and it wasnt bad at all. you will probably need someone to hold the tailpipes up while you line it up with the the head bolts. takes a little finess but they fit like a glove. the bigshot longs come really as one piece so you have to fit it into there all together. i dont know about the regular bigshots. i love mine! the sound is terrific and the bike runs wonderfully. is your bike carberuated? if so you probably need to go up a size on the main jet. you can change it with the carb in place if it is setup like my heritage. good luck! you can do it!

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
all i needed was a 1/4" ratchet with a universal to get at the head bolt nuts. they are a little tricky to get at but not bad at all. you need to re-use the stock flange and snap ring off each pipe and put it on the new ones. to remove the rings you just need a large flat blade screwdriver to pry them off. then just your basic sockets in 3/8" if it is like my heritage you have to remove the stock bracket, then the new pipes bolt up where the stock bracket was removed. you would probably need someone to hold the rear of the pipes up while you line up the headers to the head bolts. then just bolt er up. i would suggest loctiting everything. not bad at all. must be on some bikes, and i dont know which ones that there are brackets held in place by the rear pivot bolt. in that case you need to hoist the bike up and take the pivot bolt out to remove the stock brackets but my bike it was not needed. if your bike has the long bar that the mufflers bolt to then i would say it is like mine. good luck!!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
And since the Heritage and Fatboy frames are identical, his advice is Golden! :cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm for sure going to install my pipes. After reading good threads like this, makes it easier for people to wrench on their own bike. Thanks for the question zappmann, we're lucky to have people in this forum like otter (and many others) to help us out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Otter, one more question, are you running those long shots with the baffles in or out? I'm guessing they sound pretty good either way.

Thanks for all the help - Z

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
I'm not otter, but I thought I'd let you know that I have run my straightshots both with and without the baffles. The bike runs better with them in. BUT, they are super easy to remove and replace, so you can easily try them both ways yourself. I have taken mine out 3 times...

·
Registered
985 Posts
One last thing, you will need to replace the header gaskets with new, they are mesh/crush type that are good for one time only. Your HD dealer should have them in stock or if you need the part # , ask and I'll look.
I installed Longshots on my 02 FLSTFI and it was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Zapp-
The HD part # for gasket kit is 17048-98.
Good Luck.
Chops

1 - 14 of 14 Posts