V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Electra Glide Classic and the handlebars are bent (long story). Anyway I see the replacement bars are cheap enough, but how difficult is the job? I see that I would need to get into the fairing, remove grips, controls etc. Is this something I can do, or would it be better left to a shop?

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
First recommendation everyone will give you is get the manual for your bike.

It has detailed instructions about what to do. Read the steps a couple of times before removing first bolt, screw, etc. Take your time. Allocate a day to complete the job(in my opinion). Probably take less but if you set aside all day and finish early, great. If you plan on a couple of hours and it takes 6 - 8, then you're pissed and apt to make mistakes trying to hurry.

Others say that it is a simple task for people who are a little mechanically inclined. Might want to get a friend to help you out.

My one other recommendation: Stay away from certain beverages until you have completed the job and sure it is working okay.:wootdnc:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Piece of cake. Buy the manual. Should take you a few hours. Buy the manual. Now's the time to get the new grips you want. Buy the manual. Since the fairing skin is off, time to put the braided steel lines on too!! :whistle:
Oh yea, don't forget.........buy the manual!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Will get the manual and give it a shot.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
None of this crap is hard with the manual, it just takes time.
So you gotta decide if you have more time or money...

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have a 04' EG Classic. I didn't replace my bars, but I had to tighten them up a little, I don't know how they became loose. Getting to them wasn't that hard with a little patience and the service manual, took me awhile to get the key lock out. I went to my HD service department, they stated that new bars would be cheap, but the service would be over $200.00!!!! Do it yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts