V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is a loaded question. I have a 2006 Deluxe and I am looking at increasing the displacement/power. I have not posted much on this forum as I have been doing a LOT of reading, but I am left with some questions. For one, I have noticed that many people on here have had great results with HDWrench's BB kits and Dewey's heads. Everyone seems to be very pleased with the results. That being said, how much of an improvment would be expected using HDWrench's 98" kit with Dewey's heads in combination with a 37g cam and unspecified fuel/spark control (still looking) as compared to a Sreaming Eagle Stage I Big Bore kit along with SC heads with the same cams and AFR control?

I hate questions like this as I know that there is no easy answer, but I can pick up a Stage I BB kit made for 99-01 bikes (which is supposed to be the same exept for air cleaner and I already have a Stage I) for around $350-$400 and a set of SC heads for around $600 off of eBay. This would save me around $800 or so which could go towards the cams and fuel/spark control.

So what kind of difference is normally seen between a 98" and a 95"? I have looked at Deweys dyno results and I just do not see too many huge differences. And are Dewey's heads better then the SC heads? This is in no means meant to doubt anyones products or abilities, both of them have enough posotive feedback to leave any doubt on the table, this is simply being asked because I need to save some money while doing the build. I would be doing the build myself (a lot of auto engine experience) so the labor would not be an issue, I just do not want to scimp and regret it if there is a large difference, nor do I want to spend money for no reason.

I am looking for a reliable engine with no higher then 9.8 to 1 compression ratio just to be safe and easy. I am not after balls to the walls outright performance, just some more get up and go. The biggest problem might be that I drive a 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution that is putting 375+ hp to the wheels, and my Deluxe feels like a slug in comparisson. I am not expecting the same performance out of my Harley as my Evo (I have already fried an engine in the Evo :duh?: ) but not having to plan my passing of other cars like I was playing chess would be nice.

I am open to any comments, and yes I am a FNG on here so I am open to :spank: as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the 95" SE put on my bike before I took delivery. 18 months later I got 211 cams, SERT & SE perf heads on e bay new, for real cheap. The local dealer installed them all, and the improvement is outstanding.
I don't know what everyone else is doing, but I went with what I could easily afford & am happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is an FLSTNI so it has the injection. Maybe I am just mis-informed, but I have been told $700 to redo my stock heads. If that is the case then I could buy some SC heads for $600 and then sell my stock heads. If it is significantly less to have the stock heads done then I am all for it.

I have read the reveiws concerning GMR's 98" kit and I would love to do it, but is it worth another $600? Actually, the biggest pro in GMR's direction for me would be having a good person to call on if I had a question.

The GMR kit includes piston, jugs, and gaskets correct? I would have to acquire the cam and cam gears?

Thanks for the help

Also, my factory engine warranty would obviously go out the window, how often do these things break? That is probably not a fair question, but I am just trying to get an idea of the risks that I will be taking by not using H-D parts and having it factory installed.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
I think $700 is about right for Dewey's full job, but it's not that it's cheaper, it's that it's better.
If you want cheaper and still better than SE, have Big Boys port them. $300 to port, plus a little to cc them to bump the compression. Cylinders can be bored for around $150 or so and $100 +/- for pistons, add gaskets.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Call Steve at GMR real nice guy to talk to, just ordered a kit and head work from him. It's nice to get the whole package from one person if you can , than everything works together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts