V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how fast in quater mile is a stock v-rod?also what is the top speed?also how fast is a stock softtail custom bike in a quatermile?

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
STOCK V-rod? Has anyone actually left the stealer with one of those??

·
Registered
477 Posts
I left the stealership bone stock, wrote a check for $19027, then 4 weeks later, painted it black, as I had planned from day one. I've done all mods myself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
200 lb rider - stock gearing, but tweaked performance - Aircleaner, ecm , PCIII and slipons - 11.8 to 12.0 @ 113 - you can deduct about .1 seconds per 20 lbs of reduced rider/bike - 28 tooth is front sprocket is good for .4 - chain conversioon .5 to .6 seconds (assuming optimized gear setup- airshift another .3 to .4 seconds @ 116 to 118mph -Top speed by my calculations (as I have never been clocked at top speed)the rev limiter should cut in in the 145 to 147 mph range with stock gears I am not sure about stock softtails - not many Harleys at the strip, and the ones that come are usually modified - my guess 14s, maybe high 13s @ 95mph or so.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As far as softails go, I just saw on tv a test of a 01 FLSTFI. They were at a slight alititude, and ran 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, top speed of like 112, and the best 1/4 mile was 13.45. The first 1/4 mile run was like low 14's, but then the rider started slipping the clutch more, rather than just dumping it, and he got down to 13.45. Bike looked to be bone stock too, no pipes or nuttin.

·
Registered
477 Posts
KSPZ3,

Where you gonna find a 28 tooth front pulley for VROD? Unless you have one made by a machinist, there is no 28 tooth for sale at this time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Polizzio - You are right, the only option that I am aware of on 28 tooth is custom made- as is a chain conversion setup. The only reason that I mentioned the 28 tooth was that was the setup for all the pre-production bikes that the magazines tested. It is also the gear ratio that was speced for the "North America" in some of the early litature - Consequently all the magizine ET tend to be faster than what you can do in real life with the way they geared the production version of the VRod. I believe that it was a marketing game - fast et and rollon specs - which sell bikes - and then they ultimately compromised the performance by gearing them taller - hiding behind less maintenance concerns (i.e. broken belts). From my point of view it stes from an all show and no go tradition. HD has alot of big performance talk - but not much walk. They have yet to qualify their prostock - and didn't even show up at most of the events. The screaming eagle performance options are pathetic- basically a Richer ecm, an aircleaner and two noise makers. They could have delivered the aircleaner and ecm flash on the stock and had the same miniscule HP increase. Yamaha road warriors are dominating the Hot Rod Crusier class and Harley has not provided an ounce of support to any of the folks trying to compete these machines. Willy G was the one that said he the new VRod would take on any cruiser - big talk but HD never shows up when lights start to drop. You may have noticed I have a bit of an attitude on HD and their competitive impotancy.

·
Registered
477 Posts
kspz3

Yeah I noticed, but you are right. HD spent big money to finance Vance and Hines efforts, great looking drag bike, all that machine work, but it failed to perform competatively. It's an uphill battle to get ANY v twin to run with inline 4s, street or dragstrip. Yes, HD shoulda stuck with the 28 tooth pulley too as they originally said USA bikes would have, I'd give up a little topend for an easier launch, but again they failed, probably in an attempt to eak out another couple mpg on a bike with a small tank. But I still like my VROD, its evolutionary for HD. It looks unique, bad, no serious vibes, handles reasonably well, performs pretty damn good. I still like the massive low end torque of my Titan though, sometimes its hard to pick which one to ride, the VROD is kinda whimpy down low. See you down the road........

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
kspz3 said:
Yamaha road warriors are dominating the Hot Rod Crusier class

Umm... i think it's time you put down your magazines and look around a little bit. First of all no way does anyone with a stock road warrior want any part of a drag with my stock v-rod, nor does any other stock v-twin out there. Not to mention the fact that they aren't about to park next to me either.

Secondly, take a look around the v-rod sections of this forum, there are plenty of people out there building some of the best cruisers in the world on the backbone of the vrod. Keep in mind this bike is only a year old. You will see more and more mods coming, and when the new big bore kit comes along it will set the yami crowd back another couple of years. Keep in mind the riding positon of this bike was never intended for a 200 mph ride and 10 second 1/4 miles. But don't think some of the crazy bastards on this site aren't gonna do it either.

As for the comment about the HD's "competitve inadequacy" why don't you tell me who has done a better job. All I see is a lot of copy-cats, with nobody doing anything but trying to make their bike look like an HD. I couldn't disagree with you more. The V-Rod is leap forward for HD and for the cruiser market in general, and they deserve credit for it. I personally think HD will eventually become competitive on the strip, but if they don't Who TF cares? Have you checked the balance sheet lately?

yeah i'm partial, i didn't spend this kinda jack for nothing you know. But i have yet to see ANY bike that isn't built by Jesse James that i would rather own.

·
Registered
725 Posts
skidrow said:
how fast in quater mile is a stock v-rod?also what is the top speed?also how fast is a stock softtail custom bike in a quatermile?
According to Motorcycle Consumer News...

V-Rod 1/4 mile: 11.38 sec
FXST 1/4 mile: 13.13 sec (Fastest of the air cooled twins... most in 13.5 range

V-Rod top speed: 137 mph
FXST top speed: 123 mph (Most air cooled in the 110 - 115 range)

These are stock bikes. Have never seen FXSTC performance specs. FXST Standard should be close enough, though it is the fastest of the big twins, even faster than the Dynas according to MCN.

Where the V-Rod really runs away is 60-80 mph roll-ons. Better than most sportbikes.

Steve

·
Registered
725 Posts
mdrsteve said:
STOCK V-rod? Has anyone actually left the stealer with one of those??
I did. Doesn't look or sound like a big twin (good) , with waaaay more performance than I'll ever need or use.

However, :cool: , at the break-in service I will add a few goodies.

Steve

·
Registered
182 Posts
DJW - First let me tell you that I love the bike - there is no other bike made (>$30k) that i would prefer - otherwise I would have bought it - I did the analysis prior - and after almost 6,000 miles and 80 passes at the strip - my decision still stands with the test of time. From a styling, engineering, product development and quality perspective I would rate HD as outsanding - and as for market savy, they have again done an outstanding job. My comments on where they have seriously under performed is at the race track - at all levels including local, national and professional. I also understand that the vast majority of riders could not care less - but I bought the bike because I always wanted to drag race a Harley - and they did come out of the box with big talk - introduced to press at drag strip - geared to go then sold (geared) for sho/slo. The above mentioned "Motorcycle Consumer News" stats illustrate my point - 11.38 w/top speed of 137 - that was the lower gearing which I thought I bought but can't be found -Harley pulled it after all the test and performance stats were published - which to me refects poorly on HD - what you see is not what you get. If you take your bike to the strip you will expereience the disappoinment of recieving a time slip in the mid twelves on your first pass. If you were planning on running the mid 11s then you will be similarly annoyed. Notice that the top speed listed is 137 (not 147 current gearing - those ET numbers were on a 4 gear pass setup - production is 3 gear pass) - and it mentions the better top gear rollon which is also diluted with the higher "production" gearing. Therefore if you get into a rollon, my advice is drop to fourth before you pull the trigger or you will get another surprize. If you really want to do the best 60 to 80 roll ons drop to second and let it rip - 2nd won't catch the rev limiter until 90mph-that is tall gearing. Stock warrior no problem, but watch out for sleeper - modified warriors or you may be in for a surprize - they actually make performance parts for those things - and one further word of caution regarding any notion of outperforming sportbikes - in general don't even think of it - I had a CBR 954 pass me in a race - after he had redlit his launch - on one wheel - wheelie straight up - I went through the lights @ 107 a bike legnth behind him - his front wheel still fully lofted - needless to say the cat was merely playing with the mouse. Now Willy G. are you listening - some of your customer's who are competing would prefer not to be played with like that. By the way, my goal is to take the bike into the 10s hopefully next season - and I can gaurentte you that as soon as Kaz gets his out to the track he will not be content till he hits the 10s and I would not be surprized if he sees the 9's before I see the 10s. He really is crazy and also knows how to make things go faster than they really should. KAZ - I did find the number for the gent that set me up with the conversion kit - so I will contact him next week. Choppersteve is another crazy that will have a VRod in the 10s if not the 9s (he is toying with the possibilities of Nitrous setups). Finally DJW as for who tf cares if Harley becomes competitive at the track - it is those of us that actually want to compete at the track - fans at the track also like seeing Harleys out there and are thrilled when they win. And by the way - it would be alot more fun if more of the faithful would get out to the track - being the sole HD does draw attention but I would prefer some comrads in arms when the racing begins. Anyone out there up to the challange?
Best regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
106 Posts
kspz3, nice pic at the strip. How did you get a chance to run against a Pro Stock bike that is next to you? I live only 40 miles away from New England Dragway in Epping, NH and go there every summer to run what I am riding that year. 12.02 @ 114 on a Buell S1, 12.8 @118 with a 94' supercharged mustang on street tires set up for Autocross. Haven't had a chance to run the VRod, this Spring it's going to see what it will do stock, then some mods and bring it again.
People really do like to see the Harley's run and the Buell was a big hit as well. Wednesday's are $14 and you can race all night, 18 runs one night with the Mustang, lots O fun.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey!, I'm not crazy! Since Ive been taking that pill I've been fine!<G>
But seriously, I'm with you! I got the distinct impression that the MOCO is looking for somebody to carry the flag! Kevin, it could be you!
Best and have a Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
182 Posts
That is NHRA bracket racing - the drag bike that is next to me I believe is a nitrous injected kaw. That picture was during time trials prior to eliminations. In bracket racing you dial in a time which effectively handicapps the race - so for example if I was dialing in at 11.95 and your Buel was dialed in at 12.02 then you would recieve a .07 second head start. Just about a headsup race. It sounds like your Buel is very close to a stock VRod - depending on your weight, sea level, etc. The VROD in stock gears will run through the lights on the rev limiter in 3rd at around 113mph. Of course skinny people get to go faster than us full figured folks. Also for those who run at sea level times will be better than the hills of PA, and cool and dry beats hot and humid. You will notice that when the magizines publish quarter mile ETs there is an * that notes times were adjusted for sea level, temperature, etc - this is frequently 4% - which reduces their actual time by .5 seconds and increases their top speed by 4 or 5 mph. I encourage you to take your VRod out to the track next season - it is a great drag bike (with the exception of the gearing problem that I keep whining about) - I am sure that you will be thrilled with the experieince. It draws alot of attention and it is a fairly easy bike to race - front end stays down and back tire grabs loads of traction. If you are going to play at the track on a regular basis you will need a shift light as the tah is nearly impossible to see during heavy acceleration or when in full tuck - shifting by the speedometer - which is more visable - if you want to shift right before rev limiter then 1st to 2nd @ 60mph and 2nd to 3rd at 90mph - which generally occurs as to go through the timing beams at the eighth.
Best regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Steve - pill or no pill you are in fact crazy - we have been talking for awhile and I am pretty sure of it - you might want to check those pills - make sure that not birth control or vitamans or something. Wouldn't it be great if HD actually got interested or committed and started sponsoring some rides. But the fact remains Steve that you have actually provided me and others with more technical support and assistance than HD - and that is one of the reasons that I am hoping that VMod.com becomes a raving success - plus I am waiting to hear about your track experieinces next year. Maybe we just need to startup a VMod racing club and see if we can't get a new trend started here.
Best regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Kevin, your points are very well taken. I do think talking doing 9's is unrealistic, but maybe 10's. I just don't think the rider's position can ever be corrected enough with the existing frame. Best of luck trying though, it's gotta be a hell of lot of fun. I too would like to see HD become a player on the track, but I'm not conviced that any v-twin can ever be more than a drag bike, and at least for me, the thrill of the track is in the sport bikes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Mtalmer,

I live about the same distance to the track as you..... We should go to the track some wed night and run them. Im pretty much stock...SE pipes with remap, and paint doenst count. (there may be VMod's in my future)
It could be fun with two VRod's up there.

Something to think about till spring gets here!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts