V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some threads in the forum where a few riders( probably the safer, more intelligent of us) have said that they've never had their Harley over 100, either due to power limitations or stability at high speed.
During a Sunday ride a few weeks ago, I was cruising along the interstate, and I recalled the threads. So, being passed by much traffic even though I was moving at about 70-75 mph, I had a good bit of distance between a lot of cars that had passed me, and a good bunch of cars that would eventually be passing me (a couple hundred yards in either direction). So I figured, WHAT THE HECK!! I gave it some gas & it rolled right up to about 100 mph, with NO problem. So I slowed down to my highway speed, since I was getting closer to the group ahead of me. As they pulled away from me & I had space in front of me, I figured I'd check for noticable instability. So I gave it some gas again & it took me to 110 mph (not as quick as my Truimph Trophy 1200 can but pretty quick just the same) In spite of the big oversized removable windscreen that came with my 'rescued' 2003 police Road King, I noticed no instability. Also, I didn't go WOT once during these run-ups to speed. It could've gone higher, except that I quickly closed on the traffic ahead.
Have any of you guys checked your speed limitations?
P.S.
My '03 RK has the HD 95" BB kit (stage II) & Wild Pig pipes & K&N filter, but other than that. Stock.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
fast

heres some answers to your question but some new answers may be different....

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92685

you need to ask SuperKaz how fast he went at bonneville at the Bub meet. He's probably the top speed guy around these parts, unless somebody here runs a top fueler.....

myself, 114 or so....had maybe a 1/4 throttle left and i'll guess maybe 125-130 top end was possible, but i ran out of balls. Bike front end was movin & groovin' a bit.:yikes: Wasn't feelin' it. Thought id try again another time but sold the bike. Oh well. Tim

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
108 in Montana on the way to Sturgis this year. Handled real solid, no wobble. 05 Roadking...... I swear it runs better at 80 to 90 than 35!

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
I've never broken the limit. I swear!

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
I've never broken the limit. I swear!
I'm sure I witnessed you NOT breaking the limit once or twice.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
DNLEVESQUE said:
I'm sure I witnessed you NOT breaking the limit once or twice.

I would hope!! I was trying to keep up with you!!!!

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
I would hope!! I was trying to keep up with you!!!!
Yeah I suppose you're right being that I was in front of you. Let's just blame it on your oil pressure guage sticking.

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
The fastest one...Is there any other?:xhere:

·
Registered
180 Posts
95 all day long

Came back from Daytona all the way to Fayetteville, nc. Road was virtually empty and I cruised at 95 for almost the entire way. Smooth as silk but mileage dropped to 35 mpg.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
airman said:
Came back from Daytona all the way to Fayetteville, nc. Road was virtually empty and I cruised at 95 for almost the entire way. Smooth as silk but mileage dropped to 35 mpg.
I had to keep up with my wife in her car from Orlando to Maryville, Tennessee. She kept around 85. I had the comfort Stitch, but my ass was still sore as hell about 10 hrs into it. (we got lost somewhere up there along the way.)
I did faster on my Triumph Trophy, up around 140 +/-. But that's got nothing to do with my original question.

·
Registered
729 Posts
About 104 on a dressed Cop Electraglide. I used to have the high speed wobble, but I cured that [email protected] I have not found enough clear I-road around here to run it higher. :(

113 on a Yamaha Roadstar with the 96" stock motor, but the bike was bobbed.

128 on a 1976 Honda CB 750 rigid frame chopper in 1995 - confirmed by State Trooper that I waited to catch up with me after he turned around. (Waiting for him actually kept me out of jail that night, he had already called for assistance to set up a few miles down the road).

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
About 115 on my EG Classic,about 130 on the old '84 FXRS after I changed out the sprockets for more top end speed and about 140 on a Buell test ride.:whistle:

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
On my '95 Ultra I got it up to 105mph, on my current '01 Ultra 110mph, on the BMW RT1100 126mph, and on the ZX-11 Ninja over 150mph.​

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Speed is Life !!!

120 indicated on both my FXD and the FLHTCUI, I-75 is long, wide, straight & flat here in SW Florida. And in that was the last two weeks. I know, I'm too old to be doin these kind of stunts. In '05 I had an SV1000S, saw 150 on that, my "friend" says he had it up to 158.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Fast

We have wound it down to the "O" on Davidson on the road, with 95" kits of ours, have seen 160 mph on the dyno, with the 6 speed bikes, with a one of our engine combos.
Our AHDRA 108" Evo would pull 148 and change in 1320 ft. Top speed on that geared for the big mph???
Scott

·
Registered
394 Posts
The '98 sporty had a death wobble at about 90, until I got rid of the dunflop, and then I think I hit about 115 and backed out.

the 02 WG I think i've pushed 110 a couple times. Don't have much desire to go that fast on 2 wheels anymore...

1 - 20 of 211 Posts