V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd get the "experts" advice before going ahead with my plan. I'm retired and planning on doing a lot more biking this year but am snowed in and recovering from shoulder surgury so everything is on hold til spring. In the mean time I thought I would start gathering parts for the grand spring put-to-gether. Plan on updating an '06 Road King Classic. I would like to bolt on a set of Vance and Hines slip-ons, a Kuryakyn hypercharger (just like the looks) and a power commander set to specs. I have til April so I figure if I'm patient I can stay within budget on Ebay. How does this combo sound to you? Thanks in advance, Dan:beer4u:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
:welcome: Sounds like a good start be carful the "PERFORMACE" bug is gonna bit HARD!!!!! Nothing like smoking the tire hey you gotta get those stickers off some how LMAO

·
Registered
503 Posts
parts pick

tractorhunter said:
Just thought I'd get the "experts" advice before going ahead with my plan. I'm retired and planning on doing a lot more biking this year but am snowed in and recovering from shoulder surgury so everything is on hold til spring. In the mean time I thought I would start gathering parts for the grand spring put-to-gether. Plan on updating an '06 Road King Classic. I would like to bolt on a set of Vance and Hines slip-ons, a Kuryakyn hypercharger (just like the looks) and a power commander set to specs. I have til April so I figure if I'm patient I can stay within budget on Ebay. How does this combo sound to you? Thanks in advance, Dan:beer4u:
Dan, I know Im going to get rat packed for this but ..my dyno results.....
I like V&H parts but not their slip ons (look good ...dyno nfg) hypercharger will lean out at speed and get wet in rain........slipon mufflers.. I like sampson rolled ovals (a little loud) or fullsac recored stockers (much quiter and great performance) air Filter i like arlen ness big sucker..... PC usb great.... dont get cheap now GET IT DYNOED 5-10% BETTER :banana: just my opinion

Good Luck
Steve The Dyno Guy :cheers:

·
Banned
871 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Hypercharger. They look fancy, but they do not perform well, unless the bike is sitting still. When moving, they tend to create negative pressure at the mouth of the carb, preventing smooth flow INTO the carb. I'd go with the time-tested combination of the S&S air cleaner w/ K&N filter. Almost every drag bike I've seen uses that combination with great success. It's simple and effective! Ya gotta ask yourself... are you building the bike for looks, or performance? Having both is possible, but usually expensive. IMHO, I don't care what my machine looks like to others. It's MY bike, so who cares what everybody else thinks? :thumbsup:

The V&H slipons are ok, but the Straightshots or the Pro-Pipe will give you a LOT better performance. For slipons, I prefer the Cycle Shacks. Good sound and performance (for a 2-2 system, anyway).

Also, as Steve mentioned.... get it dyno'd. You simply won't get the optimum results trying to tune it by ear or plug readings. They are ok for a temp tune-up, but using an AFR meter is the only way to get it perfect.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not written in stone!

Thanks guys, Steve I will certainly consider both of your recommendations but I have a question about the Hypercharger leaning out. With the PC would'nt it be possible to map more fuel in that area? Just like the old "blower" look of the Hypercharger and If it looks like rain, the scoot and I stay inside. Caught in the rain is a different story. Thanks again, Dan

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
tractorhunter said:
I'm retired and planning on doing a lot more biking this year ... Plan on updating an '06 Road King Classic.
Hi Dan,

In large part, it will depend on what "doing a lot more biking" means to you.

If you mean lots of day trips (possibly with your buddies) around the great state of New York, then Stage I (essentially what you're describing) will do just fine.

On the other hand, if you're talking about extended touring, riding two up (packing your missus), you may want to consider a Stage II package aimed at more torque. For example, bore your cylinders to 95", clean up your heads, and getting a good cam SE 204, TW26, or TW37 would give you a rock solid ride with 100 HP and 100 ft lbs of TQ.

BTW, welcome aboard!

regards,

wyo

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The REST of the story!

Thanks Todd and Dude. Here is the rest of the story. I am of an age that I remember what the draft was even before they gave you a "good number". Been there and did my part. (Dude, I'll pass the bricks). Anyway, finally got to the point in my life where I'm not worried about a job or raising the kids. Found a really nice '05 Dyna this summer and thought I'd get back into biking.
Put 1700 mi. on it just sort of around town but riding with my buddys with the Softails and RK's kinda made my butt sore on anything over 40 mi. Off to the local Dealer who let me take a Softail Classic for an afternoon and a Road King a couple days later. Seemed like the Softail started vibrating around 70, The Road King didn't care, 40 or 90. Mind made up. I told the dealer earlier in the week what I wanted for the Dyna in trade. When I had the RK out, someone fell in love with the Dyna while it was parked there. Dealer told me that he would give me $500 more than I wanted (My purchace price) on any bike he had in stock. Anyway, They had the nicest FLHRCI on the floor in Brandywine pearl so out came the Mastercard and took the RK home to show mama.
She won't ride anymore but lets me go about anytime I want so on goes the Corbin Solo and thats where I'm at now. Wasn't impressed with the go-power and the first thing I did was run a 15/16 drill bit (longest one I had) thru the mufflers. Big improvement but now time to step up to Stage I. I really don't want to get into the engine of a brand new bike but never is a long time too. I don't need blinding speed and I think It'll have enough torque to haul me and all my gear ok. Just deciding which way to go with the add-ons. So far all most everyone agrees with is the Power Commander but If we all agreed it would be really tough to find your bike in a parking lot.
This forum is great and a really good source of info. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how the project turns out and try to post a photo as soon as I don't have to shovel a path to the garage. Damn, I hate winter.
Keep the shiny side up and If I ever run into you guys, its my turn to buy. Dan :thanks:

·
Registered
503 Posts
tractorhunter said:
Thanks guys, Steve I will certainly consider both of your recommendations but I have a question about the Hypercharger leaning out. With the PC would'nt it be possible to map more fuel in that area? Just like the old "blower" look of the Hypercharger and If it looks like rain, the scoot and I stay inside. Caught in the rain is a different story. Thanks again, Dan
Dan, I have had two customers with the hypercharger complain about lean symtoms and very lean looking plugs...can not duplicate on dyno...so loaned them a ness filter,and problem went away ..it is like the Force filter on a carbed bike....just the way they are affected by the air at speed...
If that is the look you like, GO FOR IT its your bike,do it your way .:gun: ..all my coments are simply performance

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve, Doing some quick research. Does Ness make a Big Sucker for the '06's yet? Couldn't find one. Dan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Steve Handy said:
Dan, I have had two customers with the hypercharger complain about lean symtoms and very lean looking plugs...can not duplicate on dyno...so loaned them a ness filter,and problem went away ..it is like the Force filter on a carbed bike....just the way they are affected by the air at speed...
If that is the look you like, GO FOR IT its your bike,do it your way .:gun: ..all my coments are simply performance

Good Luck

Steve,
Was interested in installing the Force on my carbed 1550 , Mikuni 42..but now have doubts. Not a good idea ?

Randy

·
Registered
503 Posts
rmhalmaint said:
Steve,
Was interested in installing the Force on my carbed 1550 , Mikuni 42..but now have doubts. Not a good idea ?

Randy
Randy, one of my bikes 100 in rev tec 42 mm Mikuni ...on my dyno went lean at 4700 rpm had to go up 2 sizes in main ...why....the neck acts like a velosity stack at high RPM ..IT MOVES A LOT OF AIR. I have them on both my bikes... with maping 2hp over ness filter on my 2001 ultra (I get mine free as I test for Force Products)
Good product just get it dynoed after installation :banana:

Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts