V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
03 Heritage
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my Screamin’ Eagle air cleaner (p/n 29440-99C) today. I was surprised that the rubber seals on the front and back of the filter are black. The ones I’ve seen todate have been blue. Anyway, I thought the pot-metal backplate (p/n 29478-05) looked cheap, so I painted the back (side against the engine) with high temp engine header paint. I baked it in the oven until I overheard my wife and son talking about “what’s that funny smell???”. I won’t have time to put the kit on until tomorrow. So whata ya think?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Originally I put in on out of the box but didn't like looking at the cheap pot metal either. Painted mine flat black and it looks way better. I didn't use high temp paint, and it's holding up well with 2K miles of mostly summertime city driving, but that's a good idea and surely can't hurt.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Harley offers a chrome version in the 2006 accessory catalog. I put one on my bike and looks awsome. It should come standard but you know the MOCO likes to sell chrome stuff and we love to buy it and the rest is history. Mike

·
Just Sayin'
2,563 Posts
Great Idea!!!!!!! Looks good. I wonder if MOCO buys up rusty old "rice bikes" melts them down and uses it for pot metal?:roflback::whistle:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Bought the SE air cleaner, put it on.... looked at it.... hated it.... got rid of it. I also found out that the MoCo changed the filter medium from K&N to their own.

Got the D&M cycles bullet... love it!!! Better performance.... deeper sound from the Bubs... saved a can of spray paint....

I think the black looks better than the pot metal, however... loved the oven trick.

·
Registered
310 Posts
DynaLow05 said:
Great Idea!!!!!!! Looks good. I wonder if MOCO buys up rusty old "rice bikes" melts them down and uses it for pot metal?:roflback::whistle:
Nah, then it wouldnt be good ol' merkin pot metal. :Banadance

-dogtown

1 - 8 of 8 Posts