V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to wax my bike, but first I want to remove all the bug silhouettes. This has proved near impossible. Anyone have any tips that work?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Polish and a buffing wheel will remove it from the paint.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
A clay bar is a great item to add to your collection of stuff for the bike. Less messy than buffing, WAY less agressive for a guy that has never buffed paint before..

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Bugs

+1 on the clay bar also use cleaner wax or polish compound by hand going back and forth never in circles will cause swirl marks. Be very carefull with buffer you can do some serious damage with a polisher with black paint .

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
A clay bar will only remove something that's on the paint. Buffing or a lot of hand polishing is the only way remove something that's in the paint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You have to get the new turtle wax Black Box wax kit, this stuff is amazing! the spay detailer removes the swril marks and the clear scratches..............best i have ever used

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Spray detailer DOES NOT remove scratches, it only hides them. The only way to remove scratches is by machine or hand polishing. It's obvious that most of you don't know how to maintain your paint correctly.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
You have to get the new turtle wax Black Box wax kit, this stuff is amazing! the spay detailer removes the swril marks and the clear scratches..............best i have ever used
The black box works well not prefect but good and after first use you skip the cleaner it gets better and better.
Black can be a pain if you ride you bike .

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
You could paint a note on the bottom corner of your fairing stating "Custom painted by Big-G" and wax right over the bug silhouettes.

People will think the silhouettes are supposed to be there!

·
Doof Armorer
94 Posts
Soapy water and a drier sheet work wonders on the stuff that's on the surface......I thought it was crazy myself until I tried it.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
A dryer sheet will scratch the paint. It's designed to be used in a dryer not to clean a painted surface. I suppose you take a shower with laundry soap since it cleans so well.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
A soft clean towel soaked in hot water and draped over the area. Let sit for 15-20 minutes and wipe away bugs. Repeat is required. It work great with windshields as well.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Low Rider is correct. Any product with paper or coarse fibers in it will scratch paint or plastic windshields.
This includes the paper towels at gas pumps.
Don't believe me just keep using them.

Barney biker
07 EG
PGR

·
Enjoying a great Ride.
807 Posts
What really gets me is this yrs factory paint is the worst I ever seen. I was polishing my road glide the other day, and the back of the saddle bags has the worst orange peal I ever saw, its really bad. .I think when the weather cools down and I have the time I'm gonna wet sand them, then machine buff them to a nice mirror finish. As far as the bugs wash the bike, clay area or whole fairing, get yourself a good porter cable machine orbitor, use a mild commpond, finishing polish, some wax sealant good to go. I never us those instant detailer or waterless wash and polish. Black is the worst color but man does it look good when done right. Jeff

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Bug goo

Not sure ,but, think the OP was talking about the collateral damage done when you leave the bug splat sitting on the paint. My experience has been that that form of mark on the paint can not be fixed with anything short of sandpaper. (Once it's etched it way into the paint, you own it). Might only need wet/dry 1200-2000 grit but it needs sanding.
Only one fix.... Don't let bug goo sit. The wet towel has to be applied
asap. Leave that goo on bare paint for more than 48hrs and you will have paint damage for sure. If you have a very high quality wax/sealant on your paint you MIGHT be ok for longer. WAX YOUR BIKE!! There's not much paint to wax guy's!! Side benefit you may notice something loose/needing adjustment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ammonia and water on a towel and let sit for just about 5 mins then wash bike no stains in paint or anything has been my experience. Works great on car mirrors and frontends also but have to wash with soap afterwards.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Not sure ,but, think the OP was talking about the collateral damage done when you leave the bug splat sitting on the paint. My experience has been that that form of mark on the paint can not be fixed with anything short of sandpaper. (Once it's etched it way into the paint, you own it). Might only need wet/dry 1200-2000 grit but it needs sanding.
Only one fix.... Don't let bug goo sit. The wet towel has to be applied
asap. Leave that goo on bare paint for more than 48hrs and you will have paint damage for sure. If you have a very high quality wax/sealant on your paint you MIGHT be ok for longer. WAX YOUR BIKE!! There's not much paint to wax guy's!! Side benefit you may notice something loose/needing adjustment.
I agree. the bug juice is a type of acid that actually etches into the clearcoat finish. Much like acid rain. If the ecthing is severe, light sanding with 2000 grit and machine polishing is the best way. I own & operate a bodyshop and see this everyday. Light etching may be removed by machine polishing. I would try this first and sanding would be the last resort. Apply wax frequently to keep bugs sticking.

Tarheelrdr

1 - 20 of 43 Posts