V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had Hondas and winter would come and I put the bike away for the season and not think about it again till spring. However, this is my first year with a Harley and I can already see withdrawal symptoms coming! It's different now - I never thought I'd miss the whole riding thing but I know I will. How do you get through winter?

Smart-ass comments from riders in areas where you can ride year-round are also appreciated. :dry:

Cheers,
Dennis E.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
deisenbraun said:
Smart-ass comments from riders in areas where you can ride year-round are also appreciated. :dry:

Cheers,
Dennis E.
Here in Arizona, the question is, How do you make it through the summer?~!Awesome!

Teu

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
We just got our first snow here. I'm getting pretty dpressed. I find other things to do but I always feel down about not riding for a few months. Last year I did get at least one short ride in during every month though so maybe I'll do that again to ease my suffering.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I have a variety of friends who help me through the winter. Jim Beam, Ezra Brooks, Jack Daniels, Evan Williams, to name a few.

·
Kilted Werewolf
390 Posts
Beer....large amounts of beer. Then I get tools and customize....I plan on starting the paint just as soon as I get the gas out for the season.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Yep, some days when the temp dips into the 40's it's just too cold to ride.
(One of those smart-ass answers you were looking for...I hope.):hystria:

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Well this is the first time owning a bike and I have been riding it daily. Its in the low 40's on the way to work but in the 70's on the way home. Not bad I guess. I'm sure when the rain starts I will park it.

But even so we still go boating. This was taken on New Years Day last year. Just wearing pants and a sweatshirt. Temps were in the high 30's.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Martin64 said:
In San Diego County we have 3 seasons, early spring, spring and late spring....what's a w-i-n-t-e-r?:huh:
So true, I just got back from a ride and it's 9:30PM. Took the wife out to do some early Christmas shopping.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I put some overtime in at work to help pay for the winter upgrades I plan each year. On top of the upgrades, I take care of ALL my maintenance needs in the off season, so hopefully, the only thing I have to spin a wrench on during riding season is the oil and filter changes, and the occasional tire change.

Finally I took up a winter time hobby...competetive dart leagues; which you play in a BAR:beer:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
deisenbraun said:
When I had Hondas and winter would come and I put the bike away for the season and not think about it again till spring. However, this is my first year with a Harley and I can already see withdrawal symptoms coming! It's different now - I never thought I'd miss the whole riding thing but I know I will. How do you get through winter?

Cheers,
Dennis E.
I moved from New England to California... sheeeeit, it's expensive to live here, but the weather kicks ass!

·
Registered
708 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
I moved from New England to California... sheeeeit, it's expensive to live here, but the weather kicks ass!
I feel your pain. I moved from Philadelphia to Monterey CA. in the early 90's & said WTF am I doing here? (It turns out the U.S. Army had me there, but that's another story).:rolleyes:

As for the "winter", it does get cold (for us anyway) in the southwest states at times & we learn to park the bikes on occasion.
The 'Rod likes the cold better than the E-Glide did, so I have a little more leeway there.
There's a reason I don't live near coastlines or up north, Me+snow/ice=SUCKS!

·
Who, me?
434 Posts
Dennis, right now is the most dangerous time of year for Harley owners up in the north. Right now we're obsessing about riding and even brave the weather, including ice and snow, just to see if it's really that bad to ride (even for those who have done many times before).

When we realize that we just simply can't get out riding, we start opening up the pocketbooks cause there's nothing to stop us - not even the OL. She'll be pushing you out in the garage to tinker cause we're absolutely inconsolable.

I say, go for it....get all the mods you've ever dreamed of, then get your bike down to Florida or Arizona....

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Once they salt in Ohio, I am done riding until the spring rains. I normally do any major changes on the bike during the winter. Last year I did the BB, cams, etc. This year I am changing the bars, switch housings, putting on braided cables, and a few other items. Other than that, we are planning a vacation in late January to the carribean for some sun. Winters suck in Ohio.:thumbsdn:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
deisenbraun said:

Cheers,
Dennis E.

If there is no snow, ice or salt on the ground, you can ride if you really want to. I do this, and yes I often freeze my ass off. But never reget doing it.

But when you really can't ride at all, it just plain suks. The only thing I can do to ease the pain is work on the bike, clean it and watch biker movies.

Indoor work should done too - painting, remodeling, etc. Yes, that suks even more, but if you get it done in the winter, then you have all of the rest of the year to ride :)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts