V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who recommend/use Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 gear lube in the twin-cam how do you know if it meets Harley specs for the transmission?

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Because of the "silky smoothness" of the contraption after servicing with 75/90.....PLUS..George the Oil Guy says it's great stuff...even though he's AMSOIL in his heart....and business. :whistle:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've been using it for 25k miles and my tranny still shifts smooth as silk. It's only gears running in oil. No rocket science there.

·
Free agent
795 Posts
My bike spoke to me..in a sorta wierd kinda way that it wanted Mobil 1 and I believe everything it says! I just do! :xhere:

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Denis,

The forum contributors have suggested synthetic gear oil. I did that first and noticed a big difference in the lack of noise when shifting. Next I did the synthetic ATF in the primary, another significant improvement in the way the bike shifts. Less effort to shift and less clunking, this has to make things better for the longevity of the transmission.

Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
Virgin oil analysis has shown Formula+ (HD's recommended transmission lube) as:
Petroleum based
Ca 169
P 230
B 210
S - some
Zn - essentially none
No other elemental additives.
Vis. within SAE 50 range.
Listed as a GL-1, does test out as a GL-3.
(Mini VOA via Amsoil)

And the published specs:
Application: recommended for heavy-duty service in manual transmissions where the manufacturer normally recommends either engine oils or GL-1 lubricants. (Emphasis mine.)
Specific Gravity: 0.857
Pounds per Gallon: 7.14
Viscosity, ASTM D 445,
cSt at 40°C: 168.04
cSt at 100°C: 20.10
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270: 139
Brookfield Viscosity, ASTM D 2983,
cP at -26°C - 28,800
cP at -40°C - n/m
Pour Point, ASTM D 97, °F (°C): -60 (-51)
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °F (°C): 507 (264)

Info is not mine- I got it here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=47&Number=926040&Searchpage=1&Main=72166&Words=formula+&topic=0&Search=true#Post926040

So as long as the lube you use is GL1 rated or better (which Mobil 1 syn gear lube is) you've met HD's "specs." (This is why Syn3 engine oil is recommended for use in the tranny and primary by HD.)

HD's lubricant specs are, as most have found out, intentionally ambiguous- to no doubt deter the average joe from buying a competitor's equal or better product. Rather than research the issue many just buy HD oils for 2-3x what comparable or better products cost.
A cheesy way for a company like HD to conduct business IMO, but it brings in $$$- which is what it's all about... :whatever:

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Ed Y said:
What Harley spec's??
The MOCO Specs of .012 on the crank run out :yikes: ............... Isn't that what specs you were inquiring about?! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Registered
20 Posts
It occurs to me that many don't have any idea what synthetic oils are.

btw-Every jet engine uses synthetic lubricants.

Here is a simple explanation.

Synthetic lubricants are chemically engineered from pure chemicals rather than refined from crude oil. That gives them significant advantages over refined oils.

Conventional oils – the oils most people are familiar with – are refined from crude oil. Refining is a process of physically separating light oil components from heavy ones. Crude oil contains a full range of different kinds of molecules. Many are similar in weight but not in structure. The refining process cannot distinguish such molecules, so a wide assortment of molecules is present in a finished lubricant made from crude oil stocks.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
The issue here is not what it is made of or who's brand it is. HD has shown that it really isn't that important what you use in their tranny since they have went from 75w 90 semi synthetic gearlube to 20w 50 syn3 to now a simple straight 50 weight mineral oil with a few additives in it. I have done some used oil samples on different Amsoil products in some road kings a few years ago and there was virtually no difference in the wear characteristics of any of them. So when a customer ask me what to use I ask them what they want to use a gearlube or motor oil because it really doesn't matter in the sense of protection. It is more of a comfort level for the rider. With that said though I personally am using the ATF in the primary and the 75w 140 in the tranny as this what I tested last and probably will stay with that combination. I guess that's my comfort level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Z71 said:
Emmm, jet engines used to oil from the "basking sharks liver" and that is what was synthesised not really much use for anything else, but statement is correct.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
BigTed said:
Emmm, jet engines used to oil from the "basking sharks liver" and that is what was synthesised not really much use for anything else, but statement is correct.
Not to be dis-respectful, but where the heck did you come up with this assumption?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I personally witnessed a friend use Castrol GTX SAE 5W-30 and a 1991 Toyota Pickup oil filter on a 1994 HD Sportster for 18,000 miles before he sold it. I also had a 2003 Sportster, which I used HD recommended oil and filter products.

Assessment:

It didn't make a lick of a difference between his scoot and mine on how they operated, handled, shifted and sounded.

Both scoots were garaged, and lived in South Virginia's mild climate all year round. All maintanence was performed as recommended by the manual.

My friends's cost My cost Syn 3
$1.50/qt oil X 3 = $4.50 $4.95/qt oil X 3 = $14.85 $9.95/qt oil X 3=$29.85
oil filter = $3.00 oil filter = $9.25 oil filter = $9.25

oil change 5 in 10,000 miles on both vehicles

Total = $37.50 = $120.50 = $195.50

·
Registered
168 Posts
The issue here is not what it is made of or who's brand it is. HD has shown that it really isn't that important what you use in their tranny since they have went from 75w 90 semi synthetic gearlube to 20w 50 syn3 to now a simple straight 50 weight mineral oil with a few additives in it. I have done some used oil samples on different Amsoil products in some road kings a few years ago and there was virtually no difference in the wear characteristics of any of them. So when a customer ask me what to use I ask them what they want to use a gearlube or motor oil because it really doesn't matter in the sense of protection. It is more of a comfort level for the rider. With that said though I personally am using the ATF in the primary and the 75w 140 in the tranny as this what I tested last and probably will stay with that combination. I guess that's my comfort level.

What brand of syn atf are you using?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
It occurs to me that many don't have any idea what synthetic oils are.

Here is a simple explanation.

Synthetic lubricants are chemically engineered from pure chemicals rather than refined from crude oil. That gives them significant advantages over refined oils.
Jet engines use synthetic oil, but comparing Mil-L- 23699 or Mil-L-7808 to any automotive oil is comparing apples and oranges...

You would like to think that is how synthetic oil is made, but since the lawsuit involving Castrol and Mobil over what the term synthetic means...

They legally can call anything they want synthetic...

I`ve used what ever gear lube was on the shelf at the auto parts store, also tried Mobil 1 and Red Line, never noticed any difference, so for most of my bikes 125,000 miles I have used the cheap stuff...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts