V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting myself a Dyna FXDX or FXDXT. Can't say I'm mad about the looks but I like the extra handling bits and bobs. Plus I spend more time riding the bike than looking at it.

Also, I live in merry old England and I'm dammed if I'm only going to ride on the 2 days in the year when it isn't raining. So something I can just hose down and not polish is quite appealing.

The question to those guys and girls who've had one of these bikes for a few years is how does the fnish of that black engine paint hold up after a few years? Does it chip or flake or go dull and ugly? Do you have to clean it in some wierd and wonderful way to stop it looking crap after a few months? etc. etc.

many thanks in advance

Mike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
S100 engine brightener seems to work well on them.
While they may not be perfect they hold up better then the natural color ones.
You do not want to neglect them too much.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hippo...

So the paint doesn't come off where your boots sit against the cases and rub up and down during gear changes / braking?

I take it from your last comment that they need cleaning and polishing - would WD40 do? I don't think either S100 or Pig Spit (is that what's called) are availabe here in the UK.

Also, if you've got a second, I'd be grateful if you could explain how they hold up better.

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
S100 range at your local HD.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
So the paint doesn't come off where your boots sit against the cases and rub up and down during gear changes / braking?
That's a new one to me. How big are your feet anyway? Maybe ask Shaq.

The silver engines tend to discolor pretty much permanently when any oil gets on them. The black ones probably do the same but you can't see it. Also most blonde engines come with clearcoated polished covers as opposed to chromed ones and they have a way of discoloring and peeling.

S100 engine brightener works exceedingly well in keeping them looking new.
Don't know about England, but just about every bike shop in Italy and Germany carries it.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I haven't got big feet honest!

...10 US size. But I do find that the cases on the Sportster and on the Bonneville before it got very shiny from the boots rubbing against them, which is why I asked.

As you can see, Harleyhog put me right on the S100. somehow my eyes never fed the facts to the relevant braincell.

Many thanks for the info.

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
But a Dyna has forward controls or no? I own a Night Train and havent had a prob yet.Pig Spit I would definitely look into for the cases.I wash my bike once a week since new in May, And have 5500 miles on it now.Havent noticed any probs yet.God Save the Queen....I had to do that sorry.......T

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the news...

about your Night Train. The black Dynas, the FXD and FXDT, both have mid controls.

As for the Queen, they just haven't been the same since Freddie Mercury died...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that :)

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I say that the jugs & heads will fail frist. Thing is its easy to tuch up the black. I do a 1/2 ass job on keeping my FXDXT clean and its much lower maintenance than my XLH polish alum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a product called "Pig Spit" that seems to work well to brighten up the black crinkle paint. I think it is similar to the S100 someone mentioned earlier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts