V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Ultra Classic and I want to mount a GPS. I'd like to hear some suggestions on how to hook it up. It would be nice if it had Key Switched power. I have a accessories switch on my Instrument panel, How do I wire into it. Do I need to buy a harness or special connector.... Thanks for your help.
Danny

·
2005 Ultra Classic
45 Posts
Pondrun said:
I have a 2005 Ultra Classic and I want to mount a GPS. I'd like to hear some suggestions on how to hook it up. It would be nice if it had Key Switched power. I have a accessories switch on my Instrument panel, How do I wire into it. Do I need to buy a harness or special connector.... Thanks for your help.
Danny
I have the same bike. I bought and installed a HD Road Tech GPS. Easy to install and works perfect.
Randy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Accessorie plug

I have a service manual but it doesn't tell me where to plug the accessories in at. Does anyone know where this accessory plug is. Thanks

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Pondrun said:
I have a service manual but it doesn't tell me where to plug the accessories in at. Does anyone know where this accessory plug is. Thanks
Under the seat.

G

·
Look under the seat for a four position Deustch connecter, with a rubber cap. That's your accessory plug. The acc plug has 4 positions. #1 is beige, and switched to the ignition, #2 is red/yellow and switched to the stop lamp, # 3 is orange and switched to the acc switch, and # 4 is the black ground wire. To connect to it, you'll need the opposite plug. Usually you'll only be trying to go to one of the outputs, plus the ground so you'll only need two pins in your new socket. The parts are: Deustch 4-pin socket. H-D P/N’s 72117-94BK (housing), 72191-94 (pins, 2 required), and 72154-94 (locking wedge). You simply solder your device's wires to the two pins, then install them into the Deutsch connector, and install the locking wedge. Then plug this into the accessory plug under the seat (after removing the rubber plug of course).

Harris

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
as posted not too long ago by someone else here, you can get the Deutsch connector assemblies and parts from Batts Racing: www.battsracing.com or www.deutschconnector.com

I belive all the connectors you would use on a Harley are the DT series.

BTW, the service manual also has a chart of connector locations in the back, that with the wire schematic, should allow you to find anything (though the manual is sometimes lacking/wrong, but not too often)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts