V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the cam chains are lubricated? Does the "clean out" plug on top of the cam support plate play any role? Does it make a difference if the plug with the o-ring is not seated in the support plate but pushed up by ?oil pressure? and the top of the cam cover prevents it from being ejected into the cam chest area. I removed my cam cover and the plug with the o-ring was exposed and was hitting the top of the cam cover. I wanted to check the secondary tensioner at 31,000 miles...the chain was just about to start eating into the metal of the tensioner shoe.
Thanks, Bill Crandell, Evansville, Indiana

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
The only lubrication mine receive is when I open the cardboard box where they reside and spray them and the stock cams, sprockets, tensioners, etc., down w/ WD-40 or something. :D

Sorry...

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
MegaGlide said:
The only lubrication mine receive is when I open the cardboard box where they reside and spray them and the stock cams, sprockets, tensioners, etc., down w/ WD-40 or something. :D

Sorry...
That's how I lubed mine.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
My cam chaines never get lubed because I never open the box.
My cam gears are lubed the same way in the motor as your chains. There are spray holes in the cam plate that sprayes oil on them. One in the front and two in the back I think. Not sure about the number of holes.
The cam plate distributes oil to all parts of th motor.
Not sure what you are talking about on the top plug, It should be tight. It has no function for lubication. It just plugs a hole.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Bear is right except there is only one in the rear, the holes are VERY small and thats the reason you have to use a 10 micron filter. The top clean out plug will pop up from the pressure of the oil, the cam cover keeps it from popping all the way off.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
wood02 said:
I wanted to check the secondary tensioner at 31,000 miles...the chain was just about to start eating into the metal of the tensioner shoe.
Thanks, Bill Crandell, Evansville, Indiana
Read about my tensioner mishap. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Twin Cams are plagued with this problem because it's really hit or miss from vin to vin. But do yourself a favor and install some gear driven cams. Like Ron Popiel says, "set it and forget it". Pricey but, do you really want to ever be concerned about when it will fail again? I doubt its an oiling issue. There is lots of speculation related to the failure, but no real answers. A good mystery for now.

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=62902&highlight=tensioner+failure

Good luck with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts