V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
My husband is looking to buy a 91 Ultra Classic. Although I think it is a beautiful bike, I think I would feel like a grandma on one. It isn't quite as sporty looking as I was wanting. How difficult of a task would it be to take the faring off? And what is involved? I would love it without the faring. Please someone put my mind at ease and tell me it is easy. Also how much cost is involved?

Thanks
Christine

·
Registered
354 Posts
outdoorzgirl said:
HI
My husband is looking to buy a 91 Ultra Classic. Although I think it is a beautiful bike, I think I would feel like a grandma on one. It isn't quite as sporty looking as I was wanting. How difficult of a task would it be to take the faring off? And what is involved?

Thanks
Christine
Christine,
I would imagine taking the fairing off would be a very complicated project. There is a WHOLE lot of wiring/radio/gauges etc. under there. I would not recommend it.

If you plan on riding with your husband on the same bike over long distances, I think you're on the right track wanting a HD from the "touring" class. Maybe a Road King would be a better choice for you? It is a similar bike but without the fairing and extra electronics.

I am 31 years old, and I ride a 1998 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic. I don't feel like a "grandpa" when riding it. In fact, it is a great all around bike!

Good luck,
Mike:D

·
Registered
684 Posts
outdoorzgirl,

First, let me welcome you to the forum. As you will soon find out, there are a lot of people here that can answer nearly any question you might have about Harleys.

As for your question . . . taking the fairing off is easy, but you cannot ride without it unless you intend to replace several costly items such as the gauges and headlamp. These are all integrated into the fairing. Sounds like you (or the om) might want to look at the Road King.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
The key here is she is speaking of a 91 model.

Let me ask this. How much is the bike selling for? The cost to remove is high.

Is buying new out of the question?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cost of the bike is 11,000. We would love to have a new one, don't get me wrong, but we don't want to go in the hole for as much as a new one costs. Would it even be worth the expense of removing the faring after spending 11,000 to buy the bike? How much do you think it would cost?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
If Hippo drops in here he will probably be the best one suited to answer your questions.

If I were going to attempt such a project, I would try and replace the entire front end as opposed to dismantleing it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Removing the fairing in the sense of servicing something is exceedingly simple, but removing it to convert the bike to something like a RoadKing will be your worst nightmare and will put the final cost of the bike well above the cost of a new one, and you will end up with a butchered bike worth little on the market. IF you intend to keep it for the rest of your life, and IF you don't care what it looks like, and IF you know what you are doing, by all means, it CAN be done but it is lousy business.

As far as general thoughts after you ride the big bikes a few times you will not trade them for any other model, probably even more so from a passenger point of view. If you just want to ride TT (tavern to tavern) it's a different story.

The way you put it from a price point of view it sounds you will finance the bike either way. If this is the case and you break the ownership cost up over say three or four years, the new bike may just be cheaper to own.

Interest rates are lower on new bike loans, they can easily be ridden anywhere in stock configuration while a 91 stock touring bike may be pretty marginal at todays speeds and would likely need to be souped up. Older high content bikes like full touring rigs get real expensive to maintain after 4 or 5 years and you have to factor this in.

Take a look at the Electraglide standard, it may not have a radio or cruise control, but can be made to look real nice with just a few little add on's. It costs only a couple of thousand more then the used bike and is a lot of bike for the money. It will cost much less then the used bike in the long run.

The RoadKings are the most versatile of all the models, and if that is what you want, that is what you should get, even though initially they cost a pretty penny.
Trust me, halfassed **** in the end always turns out more expensive then the real thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts