V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tx_Outlaw said:
Good video! Wish is was shown on TV here in the states!
After my heart started beating again that's the first thing I thought...

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
FATVETTE said:
After my heart started beating again that's the first thing I thought...
Same here.

They should show that in all driving classes.

Better yet, it should be aired during the Super Bowl.

·
Not-so-Fatboy
1,115 Posts
This commercial was pretty shocking the first time I saw it. You are right, it is something that should be part of every drivers ed.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
That should definitely be played here in Nashville. Idiots here don't seem to even be able to notice an 18 wheeler comming down the road.

·
Seasoned and Baked
4,297 Posts
As an MSF instructor, I can say this is the best commercial I've seen regarding the 'being seen' principle. Why our Dept. of Transportation doesn't do the same type of awareness advertising is beyond me.

·
Not-so-Fatboy
1,115 Posts
They just started airing this commercial in the UK in the past 2 weeks or so (that I know of). Maybe the states will catch on. Or, maybe they are too concerned with loud pipes......

·
Registered
42 Posts
BigSwede said:
They just started airing this commercial in the UK in the past 2 weeks or so (that I know of). Maybe the states will catch on. Or, maybe they are too concerned with loud pipes......

They (the states) will never catch on...but the loud pipes...oh they are all over that like white on rice....

Down here in FL, I give Daytona a few more years before Bike week officially sets up shop to the north with all the crap the city has been pulling the last two years...noise...oh thats very bad....public awareness of bikes....ehhhh...

they sure like the money though

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
GAH! I'm forwarding that on too.

remember, there are two standards for almost everything vehicle related... the US version and the rest of the world... someday our government may catch on.

·
Registered
260 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
remember, there are two standards for almost everything vehicle related... the US version and the rest of the world... someday our government may catch on.
Our government's "As long as it makes people FEEL safer" method would simply be to outlaw motorcycles alltogether.

"We're taking it away to protect you from yourselves."

Or-
I get a ticket for leaving my car running, AT -23 DEGREES, while in a convenience store. Officer says she's just trying to protect me from thieves. Well the city ended up stealing $75 from me in fines.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
It would be great if they would play it in the US, but I think it's too graphic for the tender sensibilities of the public. Sponsors would be upset, and the collective karma might be disturbed. In England they used to show similar warnings re train crossings, complete with bodies and blood, on the tv. Course, they also show nudity. Any way, where would you find time to air it between all the tampon and vagisil commercials?

BigSwede said:

·
Banned
17,239 Posts
Movie?

what movie? that's exactly what happened to me in Denver in 1975. Totaled a perfectly good BMW and all I got was a scratch on my ankle. My angel was with me that day. 85 yr old guy came to the stop sign, stopped, looked both ways, then proceeded. I didn't have time to even hit the brakes. scared the hell out of him.

Fred

·
Registered
9 Posts
Damn good video! It should be EVERYONE'S responsibility to watch this. In drivers ed, when renewing your drivers license, whenever... this needs to be hammered into the minds of people as well as how to dial a cell phone while you're changing a cd in between chapters of your book that you're reading while you're driving is. I will forward it to EVERYONE I know.
@gree:

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Something is working......

........according to the statistics

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-news/blog/

Driver Education Program Helps London Motorcyclists

January 19, 2006 - (Courtesy of Association des Constructeurs Européens
de Motocycles, Edited by webBikeWorld)

Motorcycling in London has grown dramatically from about 62,000 motorcycles owned by Londoners in 1995 to over 100,000 today. However, as the numbers of motorcyclists grew in London, the number of crashes and casualties also rose. To reverse this trend and reinforce the role of powered two wheeled vehicles (PTWs) in London’s transport mix, specific targets for reducing motorcycling casualties were fixed.

Analysis of the data showed that many of the accidents involved cars and lorries crossing the path of the motorcyclist. Changing the behavior of car drivers became as important as educating motorcyclists how to avoid crashes.

To this end, Transport for London commissioned an innovative series of advertisements showing simulated crashes as a way of bringing drivers’ attention to the problem of “not seeing” the motorcyclist.

At the same time, the assessment program ‘Bikesafe’ was introduced, in which qualified police riders assess motorcyclists on roads and advise them how to ride more safely.

In addition, pilot schemes are currently running with motorcycles sharing some bus lanes and advanced stop lines that had been initially introduced for cyclists. Motorcycle casualties in London dropped more than 30% as a result of the safety measures introduced, the number of killed and seriously injured motorcyclists in London fell from 1,286 in 2001 to 895 in 2004 (-30%).

Since many motorcycle accidents in the United States are also caused by automobile and othervehicle drivers not "seeing" the motorcyclist, these tactics may have implications for us also.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Not trying to take anything away from the video but did anyone else notice in the video there was no bike in site until a just a fraction of a second before the impact. In the rerun of the video you can see the bike way down the road.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts