V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to look for a "family" ride, thinkin a 14-16 Ultra Limited, don't get me wrong...I love my Evo but the wife wants more comfort and room when she comes along. We used to have an 09 EGC and she LOVED that bike...I liked it too but I had my Evo and I didn't need 2 bikes when I retired so I got rid of it. Now we're gettin close to her retiring and we plan on takin a bike in the bed and pull a travel trailer and go on the "grand tour" of the good ol USA. I haven't really followed the Twinkie since I don't have one anymore so what's the opinion of the TC103? Is there anything that I need to do to it to bullet proof it, or is it pretty decent out of the box?

·
not sober all the time
5,695 Posts
I only have a bit over 11,000 miles on my 2015 Ultra Classic Electra Glide mainly because of back problems. I replaced the lifters @ 9,600 miles because of a rattle. Other than a set of slip-on mufflers, breather and a PV-2 with a generic tune, it's all stock. I keep a battery tender on it, fuel stabilizer in the gas and follow the maintenance schedule. Half of the miles on it were done within the first two months I owned it. I didn't get the Limited because I didn't want a water pump on it. Never had a water cooled scooter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've got over 45,000 miles on my Ultra Limited with a 103 Stage IV kit on it. Other than normal maintenance, lifters changed @ 10,000 miles is only thing out of ordinary. Being an ex superbike rider, my floorboards are a touch knife edged.

Reactions: captainhook455

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
its bullet proof at a level 1,,, if you really want to make it perform,, grenade is the word I would use,,, unless the great majority of the engine parts are changed..

this is my personal opinion,,

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
its bullet proof at a level 1,,, if you really want to make it perform,, grenade is the word I would use,,, unless the great majority of the engine parts are changed..

this is my personal opinion,,
Maybe just a bit exaggerated but true. However that can be said of most engines. I think the 103 is a very good option.
Brakes on the touring bikes were upgraded in 14, you should see improvement over the 09 you had. I've heard complaints on the GPS from those years, clumsy operation and inaccurate information. If that matters to you.
Overall I think you're on the right track.
Disclosure: These opinions/observations not firsthand experience, they are feedback from friends who ride newer bikes. My newest ride is an 07.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
the 103 isnt a bike it is an engine installed on the bike,, this was the basis of my comment,,, not the entire bike...

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
the 103 isnt a bike it is an engine installed on the bike,, this was the basis of my comment,,, not the entire bike...
Yes, understand. My post was a little ambiguous, fixed it.
Thank you

·
not sober all the time
5,695 Posts
I assume when kowboy inquires about a "family" ride for a couple about to retire, he's not looking for monster power. I believe the stock 103 should be fine other than the lifters. Seems like they are a weak link since the "C" lifters came out.

And yes, the Harley navigation sux.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So lifters should be upgraded...if I'm gonna do them I might as well do a Tq cam and tuner while I'm in there.

·
not sober all the time
5,695 Posts
That is an option. I hear the Rushmore bikes respond well to the right cam. I didn't because it had enough power to pull me and the gear around or wifey and me. She prefers riding her bike and let me tote the luggage when we hit the road. When I replaced the lifters, I cut the factory pushrods and went back with S&S adjustable pushrods so I didn't remove the rockers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info, now I have to see if I want a "smart" HD vs 2013 and earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
I don't know much about the pre 14 103's but the 103 HO I have runs great. I since have changed a few things and it's definitely more responsive. Just cams, header and tuner. I'm satisfied... for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts