Votes: 9 34.6%
  • could care less

Votes: 6 23.1%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, about a year ago i made a post concerning a project i was contemplating. Since then i have continued to develop the Idea and all the obsticals that will have to be delt with. I am aware of the merlin roadster, as it is close to my vision but still very different. Attached should be some 3D drawings i have been playing with. I wish i had a scanner so i could post my hand drawings that look much more like what i envision. Id like to know what people think. Am i crazy, Is it cool or crap, Is it a detriment to the Harley brand, or would you drive one.

The idea is simple. A mini hotrod coupe powered by a HD.

Basic Required Design Factors
1. safety/street legal
2. cost
3. performance
4. ride quality/driveability
5. rear wheel drive
6. stick shift
7. based mostly on savlaged auto bike parts

Technical Issues (1-3 are the only real challenging ones)
1. making an adapter plate to mate chevette tranny to HD case
2. altering HD main shaft to accept an auto flywheel and pilot bushing for tranny
3. deal with how to start the engine (possibly high output solenoid connected to kick start, or pulsed auto starter hooked to kick start, or stock auto mini starter in stock location driving the auto flywheel if HD block is not in the way)
4. Narrow a stock auto fron suspension clip (idealy mustang II)
5. fab a custom frame (time consuming but not hard)
6. either find or narrow an auto rearend. (posi would be ideal)
7. custom fab rear end suspension im thinking truck-arm coilover.

The rest of the Things i will nead to deal with are either straigtforward or cosmetic such as breaks and body. Im thinkin body might be the most expensive part.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I think it is corbin, but somebody already makes and sells one. I personally think the mustang parts and such would be too heavy to overcome. On the one that is already in production has the motor setup as yours, there is only one rear wheel. For the money I would rather have another bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its called the corbin Mirlin Roadster. I had the idea before i saw the merlin, but when i did see it, my idea seemed that much more of a reality. It uses some pretty heavy parts like the VW trans axle. I dont think the Mustang II Front suspension will be a problem. If you compare it to the Merlin's it is very simiar. A note on power, The chevette transmission that i propose comes from a car with less typical horespower and torque than the average HD engine. I admit it was no proformance car but A chevette is about 2000 lbs. I think i can dramaticaly reduce that weight achiving a car that is quite acceptible/driveable. With a turbo i think i could really surprise some people. What would a turbo HD make.... 125 HP? 125HP in a 1400lbs car, id like to try it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Here it is........it was at the Love Ride...

Tony

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dont know, it could have practical applications in crowded citeies like Key West. I was just there and am dying to rent one of the electric cars they rent, that was triangular in shape. Also, busy cities like Miami, have Harley rentals, could be another area to rent them. As for buying one... I had a friend who was selling the Merlin and eventually gave up and got rid of his. I drove the electric one and it was fun, but would not hardly ever drive it if I had one, regardless of the motor. I guess its just sort of silly given the choices of motorcycles and small cars. A car of that size is simply going to handle poorly comapred to a small car, I wouldnt be comfortable. I think it would work as I mentioned above, in unique or heavily trafficed areas as alternative transportation. Oh, and I would go right to the Revolution motor, why hop up a stock Evolution and risk engine reliability? I know todays hops are much better and more reliable, but nothings as reliable as stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Its not ment to be a practical car. More like a Mini Hot Rod, for saturday afternoon crusing. Check out this car that is custom made (you can buy it). see the website at http://www.jaxports.com/ the only thing wrong with it is that it runs the HD engine in the stock orientation running a belt to a 90deg trasnfer case that runs a driveshaft to the rear wheels. It preforms well, so mine should to. have a look at theses.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I think they unvieled it at Sturgis 2000, a couple of us saw them bolting the air cleaner on and last minute adjustments and then they test drove it....

·
Banned
490 Posts
My $0.02 worth...

If you have a lot of time and money on your hands I'm sure it could be done, but IMHO it's probably not worth it.

For starters, the emissions requirements for automobiles (four wheelers) are considerably tougher than they are for bikes - I doubt you could easily get a Twin-Cam 88 to pass most states emissions tests for cars without a lot of tweaking. Secondly, unless you made the car very light indeed, I think the performance would be pretty anemic. Even the most basic econo-cars put out close to 100 HP these days - and you've got to work pretty hard to get triple digits from most stock Harley engines.

Trikes have their own set of issues, most notably stability. I know they are very popular among certain segments of the bikers community, but frankly they don't corner nearly as well as a regular bike does.

I'm sure the Corbin Merlin will garner a certain amount of sales, but most likely as hobby vehicle. I guess if you really wanted a Harley-powered car this would be one way to go, without having to go through all the engineering headaches yourself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
More on the Merlin Roadsters...

I just happened to see an article in the local paper today about Merlin Motors and their roadsters. I guess Corbin has gone out of business, but licensed the design to this outfit. They have the HD powered performance one and a second "commuter" model that is supposed to get over 80 MPG.

I checked out their web site (below) and found out quite a bit more about them. They're gearing up for some pretty heavy production; makes me wonder how they're going to sell in the quantities they are considering....

At any rate, it sure is an interesting concept. I figure I'll pick one up when I get too old to ride on two wheels. Kind of a riding retirement plan!

You can see the videos and read more at Merlin Motors USA .

·
Retired
1,832 Posts
Just a stupid toy. For me,if it's got four wheels it has to have a V8. Three wheels are either too few or too many.

·
Young Harley Rider
550 Posts
Corbin is doing one already... It is going to be up for sale they said before the end of this year. Its going in for testing, like crashing and everthing. Price is about 30k he told me, and it looked all good till i asked about the drivetrain. Its FWD.... =\ I am just thinking about having understear with only 3 wheels, that is not going to be fun..
They had two driveable ones there at Hollister, no pictures of it.. I know someone who went to Hollister had to take a few snaps.
Oh, the one on show had an TC88, but they are going to an RevTech 100ci for sales.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
gilesie said:
i would prefer to put a V8 in my harley
'
Don't they call that a "Boss Hog"?

·
Lawn Enforcement Officer
77 Posts
gilesie said:
i would prefer to put a V8 in my harley
Glenn Curtiss was "the fastest man on earth" (136 mph) when he was the first to do this in 1907 in Hammondsport NY. If you ever wanted to read about an interesting pioneer biker, he's your man.

·
Lawn Enforcement Officer
77 Posts
MLB said:
Glenn Curtiss was "the fastest man on earth" (136 mph) when he was the first to do this in 1907 in Hammondsport NY. If you ever wanted to read about an interesting pioneer biker, he's your man.
Well, OK. It wasn't a Harley. Can't hold that against him in 1907 though. Here's a link anyway:
http://www.linkny.com/~curtiss/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts