V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking about buying a new Street Glide and trading in my 2003 Fatboy... Just wondering, how big of a hit would you take to get a new bike.

Here is my situation, I bought my first bike in 2004 (A dyna low rider) for $11,500. I put about $1,000 into it in the winter of 2004 and traded it in for the 2003 Fatboy in April of 2005. The dealer gave me $12,500 for trade in (the Fatboy was being sold on consignment for a really good customer and they wanted to get it sold before he took his business elsewhere).

The Fatboy I purchased has a ton of chrome on it and I purchased it for $23,000 (the previous investor had about $30,000 in it). I have since put about $1,500 into it (Windshield bag, saddlebags, mustache engine guard, AC/Reject kit, and brand new Thunderheaders)... Therefore, I have about $24,500 into it.

This April will be about 1 year that I have had it. I know I will lose the taxes I payed but I am trying to figure out how low I would/should go for a trade in and not loose my a$$. It has about 8,250 miles on it. It had 550 when I purchased it.

What do you guys think? Would you expect to lose everthing you have paid to date (i.e. $500 payments for 12 months = $6000)? More? Less? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
03fatty said:
What do you guys think? Would you expect to lose everthing you have paid to date (i.e. $500 payments for 12 months = $6000)? More? Less? :dunno:

Well I would expect to lose most of that:unsure:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
You might loose 10k. Sell it outright.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well it’s a 3 year old bike that’s out of warranty and on it’s second owner. A 2006 fatty can be had new for less than $18k in any color with a 2 year warranty and there available right now at most dealers. The days of paying a premium for the 100th anniversary model or paying a premium because the new bikes required a waiting list are over. Your numbers show the last owner lost about $7k selling to you. I would expect you’d lose about that much too.

I just looked and there are a bunch of Fattys on cycletrader.com that are chromed with asking prices over $20k. You might give that route a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your thoughts... I forgot to mention it but the bike has an extended warranty through May of 2007.

I would think that it would be hard to sell a bike on my own for $20K+ when you can buy a new one for 18K... IMO I think people would rather buy a bike from a dealer for $20K+ than from an individual. I may be wrong.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think there are a lot of guys who think their HD is made of solid gold. I remember when looking for mine a guy wanted his full original purchase price plus the options he put on, and didn't want to budge. I thought it wiser to save money and buy a new one, LOL. Anyway, you are probably better off selling it yourself, but probably still better off just keeping it and riding it.

Of course you can always insure the blazes out of it and take a drive to Chicago...

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Another way to look at it would be to take your bike to the dealer and tell them you want to give them your bike and whatever in cash for the SG. If they don't laugh, it's a good sign. What wouldn't fly is saying you want them to give you the SG and some cash for yours.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't be willing to take a $6K+ hit on the Fatboy. If I could sell it for 21K (a $3500 hit), I would probably sell it and get a Street Glide.

I still like the FatBoy a lot (my problem is, I like all of them a lot). I think I just need to be satisfied with what I have, but I am not. If I did sell it/trade it in, I would probably want a new one the next year... I guess it is better than being addicted to drugs but it may be more costly.

Regardless, I am going to see if I can take a Street Glide for serious ride... just to see if it is worth it and if like it. If I do, I may see what the dealer can do or put a "for sale" sign on it when I go to bike nights. My girlfriend and I have bought 3 bikes from the same dealer and they have given us a great trade in each time. We will see...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
there's a dealer in Ottawa, Ohio that may let you put yours on their showroom floor if you buy from them. that might help ease the pain in the pocket.

good luck and ride safe.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
You'll never know what kind of hit you have to take if you don't get the dealer to give you a trade in price. Sometimes you may be surprised at the offer and other times you may be dissapointed. One thing to consider is if you trade the bike in for say 19K and with any extras you put on the SG it comes to 21K, you only have to pay sales tax on 2k. If you sell the bike out right for 20k and the SG comes to 21K you will be paying sales tax on the full 21k. Sometimes its cheaper to trade for what seems to be a loss than it is to sell out right for what you think is a good price. Get a price and do the math, its the only whay to figure it out. The last 2 HD's I bought I traded my old bike in on, I think I came out ahead both times.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I think you would be better off financially to not trade at all. It sounds like you are just rolling negative equity from loan to loan. How much is that bike worth now based on how much you owe the bank? If you owe more for the Fatboy now than the asset is worth if you sold it based on blue book value then you already have a negtive equity asset. You never want to trade or anything in that situation. You need to sell it and pay off the balance due.

I would do this if I were you. Sell it out right to a buyer on the retail market instead of taking wholesale price. Put that cash in the bank (if you make some profit) and save up for the next scoot and let it be a keeper for a while.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
03fatty said:
...I still like the FatBoy a lot (my problem is, I like all of them a lot). I think I just need to be satisfied with what I have, but I am not. If I did sell it/trade it in, I would probably want a new one the next year... I guess it is better than being addicted to drugs but it may be more costly...
03Fatty -

No offense meant, but looks to me you're a Con-sumer - and an out of control one at that.

You'll be happier overall if you teach yourself to be happy with what you have and don't get caught up in all the hype. Your Fattie sounds like a heck of a nice bike. I'd be keeping it and sure as hell not taking a loss because I had to have something else. Fatboy's advice is solid.:sofa:

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you're worrying about the money aspect of your riding, then just keep it and ride the heck out of it. Lots of riding is the only way to satisfy yourself if your worried about the money you have in it. If money is not an issue, then just get whatever you want and play. Although motocycles are my primary transportation, they are also a major recreation for me and I trade or buy what I want and don't worry about return. If I've had a good time and great adventures on a bike, that's all the return I'm looking for. :beer4u:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good advice so far.

1) I am thinking about buying a new Street Glide
2) trading in my 2003 Fatboy
3) I bought my first bike in 2004 (A dyna low rider)
I'm just wondering...are you SURE you really want the Street Glide.

Are you taking advantage of test rides that most dealers offer?
Will you want an Electra Glide next year?:hmmm:

I would personally hold onto the Fatboy until I was 100% certain, and not just "thinking about".

I shouldn't discourage you. Those of use that buy used cycles like that you're paying the drive-off depreciation.:)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
How much do you owe? Even if you pay it off, you just spent 6000k for one years riding. I personally would not pay ovet 20k on a used bike would either buy new or buy one used for less and put what I want on it.

What makes you think you are going to want a streetglide. You sold the dyna for a fatboy, which are both similar. Not sure why you did that.

Unless you are seriously going to do lots of touring stick with what you got. Pay it off or atleast down a bit.

Don't know you, but you need to make up your mind and quit looking for greener pastures.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
03fatty said:
I am thinking about buying a new Street Glide and trading in my 2003 Fatboy... Just wondering, how big of a hit would you take to get a new bike.
Fukk th '06 bikes and the EPA bullsh!t.

Keep the fatty and get yourself an 02 Electraglide Standard and "make it your own". :cool:

:cheers:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Agree with WYO. Keep it pay it off and get a touring bike. If I had the money would have two.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I think Fatboy said it all. Keep your bike and try to pay down the loan. You might think your dealer has given you three great trades, but somehow you've ended up saddled with a huge debt. Sounds to me like he's made a killing off you on the other end of the deal.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looks like you bought the bike for $23000 and put another $1500 into it so you're up to $24500... I would prepare for a major hit when it comes to trade in or outright sale. Probably not what you want to hear, but you have to look at it this way, NEW Fatboys are selling in my area right now for MSRP or less with the dealer eating freight and set up costs. If a consumer can buy a brand new bike for around $17000, thats seven and a half grand less than what you have into your bike. Yes, all the extra chrome is nice, but you really can't plan on getting the money you have put into "extras" back out of the bike. It might make it easier to sell, but the bottom line is that people will only be able to get a loan for so much money for your year of bike and if it's not priced competetively, they will likely purchase new.

When I bought my '02 FLSTF new, I did it specifically because people wanted too much for their used bikes. Made more sense for me to spend a couple extra bucks and buy new so I knew exactly what had been done (or in my case NOT done) to the bike before it got to me. I have chromed out everything on my bike except for doing the swing arm and a possible wheel change. I spent all that money knowing that I would never get it back out of the bike, but it brings me a lot of pleasure and that's good enough for me!

It's kind of like hot rodding a car. Often times you are lucky to get one dollar back during re-sale out of every three you put into it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts