V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen older ST's that come with 150's on the back that have wheels off of a duece with a 180 on them, but im not sure if there running the stock swing arm. has anyone else seen this before, or know how big of a tire i can put under my 03 FXSTB without changing anything but the wheel, or what else will i have to change to fit a 180 under it??

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
hi mate,
I have a 2003 fxst and have just brought a duece rear wheel and hope to fit a 180 under the guard with no mods it looks like it will go apparently you have to shave back off caliper to get it on? I have a 160 metzler on there now (measures very close to that)and dont want a 200 as I think they are too wide and push the bike straight when riding hard into corners with only a 21 x 2.15 front.so I am hopeing 180 will work anyone with info?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks, i feel the same way i don't want to go too big but i think a 180 will look good, if not i guess a 160 will look pretty good too. keep me posted and let me know how the 180 turns out

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
My 2002 Night Train came stock with a 130 and I want to go as big as possible with the stock set up..

can I go to a 150 or 160 with out doing any mods at all besides perhaps grinding down or flipping the strut mount bolts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Softail aftermarket frame (Ultra) that came stock with a 130 in the rear. It originally had a 1 1/2 drive belt and I switched it out for a 1 1/8 belt and a stock 1 1/8 HD rear pulley to match. I then had plenty of room for a 150 and I think I could even go bigger with all the space I gained from the belt switch. Been on there for the last two years with no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
i've seen older ST's that come with 150's on the back that have wheels off of a duece with a 180 on them, but im not sure if there running the stock swing arm. has anyone else seen this before, or know how big of a tire i can put under my 03 FXSTB without changing anything but the wheel, or what else will i have to change to fit a 180 under it??
hi ,
just started to fit my duece rear on my 03 fxst today,only had 170 mm between guard mounts so my 160 would have been it.So got the 9" angle grinder out and cut the frame horns off.Welded them back on 15mm wider each side,going to cut rear guard down the middle and put 30mm extra in.This will give me 200mm in between guard mounts.Should have no problems fitting a 190 mm on rear.Not sure on belt and pulley yet I know I will have to space pully 2.5mm out and shave 2.5mm off caliper to centre wheel just not sure if wider belt will clear might have to get narrow pully and belt?anyone got experience on this?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
hi ,
just started to fit my duece rear on my 03 fxst today,only had 170 mm between guard mounts so my 160 would have been it.So got the 9" angle grinder out and cut the frame horns off.Welded them back on 15mm wider each side,going to cut rear guard down the middle and put 30mm extra in.This will give me 200mm in between guard mounts.Should have no problems fitting a 190 mm on rear.Not sure on belt and pulley yet I know I will have to space pully 2.5mm out and shave 2.5mm off caliper to centre wheel just not sure if wider belt will clear might have to get narrow pully and belt?anyone got experience on this?
Update,
fitted a 180/55/17 onto standard 05 duece rim put it back on bike and will miss the original belt and pulley.had to fit rim with rear disc off and slide it in then bolt it up.waiting for guard to be cut but wont be a problem once guard is 30mm wider.havnt spaced wheel over 2.5mm yet not sure if I will have to still using the original spacers that came with spoked wheel?

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
Update,
fitted a 180/55/17 onto standard 05 duece rim put it back on bike and will miss the original belt and pulley.had to fit rim with rear disc off and slide it in then bolt it up.waiting for guard to be cut but wont be a problem once guard is 30mm wider.havnt spaced wheel over 2.5mm yet not sure if I will have to still using the original spacers that came with spoked wheel?
It sounds like you are doing well. I've been told that you can get a 160 on these older softails without mods but you have to go to an 18 x 4.25 wheel.
Let us know how it turns out will you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 FXST that I put a 18X5.5 rim on with a 180 tire. Stock wheel spacers - swingarm is fine. Belt is okay - it has minimal clearence and my (spoke) rim flexes and you can hear it rub during low speed corners (parking lots), but no belt issues in the past 35,000 miles of that. I just cut the front of the belt guard off so that it does not extend forward of the front mount. This way it cannot interfere with the tire. Note - if you do not have a Duece, you have to cut the fender struts off and go strutless, since this tire is wider than the stock fender.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
update,
had the frame horns rewelded 15mm out each side.have had 30mm put into guard for a trial fit looks ok.rear horns now measure 210mm inbetween.I think this would be max as guard would hit swingarm if any wider(using original guard widened).will post some photos later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts