V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
We are hanging in there. Weather has improved and the fire fighters
are getting a handle on it though it will be weeks before all the fires are out.
I have been thru many of these over the years but this year was definately the
worst I've ever seen. Damn firebugs

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
I spent some time in Doofland while this site was down (and will again because it's a pretty happening place). Last I heard, 8-Ball was fine — in a pocket not touched by the fires — and Gordito, in Chula Vista, was okay too. I used to live in Southern California so I know about wildfire season, but it's far worse now than it ever was back in my day.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey all!
This was some pretty strange sh-t! I live in Poway and the evac line was 2 miles to the east of me and the other evac was 2 miles to the WNW of me. The smoke from the poway portion of the blaze was really heavy just 2 blocks north while at my house it was smokey but looking up you could saee blue sky. I had one of the kids that had to evacuate. She lives over in Carlsbad and was on the voluntary evac area of the fire that jumped the 15 and started across the hills. Needless to say we still have some of the fires still burning. Thanks for asking!

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Wow, a doctor who lived in Poway was prominently featured on CNN after his house burned to the ground. Glad you got lucky, sblair! I can't even imagine the stress level.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
We escaped the fires by a long shot, but it's like living in a BBQ after the fire's out. Ash everywhere. Cars, floors, windows, street, air, walls, you name it. FORTUNATELY, no direct fire damage.

I don't know if any of you caught our Governor on LIVE TV today, but he's out for the dogs who started a couple of these fires. He said they better turn themselves in because we're hunting them down! Schwarzenegger is doing a darn good job if you ask me. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y838vto6los

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/27/fire.wildfire.ca/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I live in Chula Vista and am still cleaning up all the ash. I know 1 person that lost a house in Jamul. Man what a mess. I havent had a chance to go for a ride up in the hills yet to see all the damage.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm on the western edge of Blossom Valley and was pinched between Harbison/Crest and Lakeside mando evac areas. This round wasn't as bad for us as '03, but still nerve wracking. Opened the house up on Sat as the air appeared to be improving. Woke up this morning thought that was moisture haze in the hills surrounding us...Nope, heavy smoke, eyes & throat burning like heck.
Hope everyone is OK...

Go Chargers!!!:beer:

·
Registered
349 Posts
04GLIDE said:
I havent had a chance to go for a ride up in the hills yet to see all the damage.
Sorry to hear about your bud's home. Hope he is getting the support he needs to get back on his feet and get the rebuilding going.

Rode to SD HD on Sat for the free eats; consensus at the BBQ is a good percentage of our fav backcountry roads are moonscapes. Although I hear Hideout is still standing. Before the fires they were scheduled for a grand "reopening" next weekend 2-4 Nov.

GL all

·
Registered
675 Posts
7 houses gone..

I live in Escondido, CA and 7 homes are gone within 200ft of mine but mine is still standin...who knows why? They are getting my support...TFB!

·
Cruisin' SoCal
175 Posts
Live out here in Spring Valley, but Mt. San Miguel. Had my family and dogs ready to go, watched the fire come down the Mt. then the firemen got on it and it went down finally.......................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts