V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a gun collector, combat shooter and reloader and now I've been collecting knives.

Most shooters also have knives, as well as most bikers.

Would this be the proper forum to discuss new models, improved metals that have just hit the market and comparisons between competing companies?

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, many of the own brands are beginning to become collectible.

Like anything else, condition and providence mean everything.

For example, if the knife is pristine and you have the original box and receipt, the knife might be triple the original price, or more.

Or, if pictures and letters varify that your Grandfather was given the knife by Audie Murphy, you can darn near set your own price.

If the knife has some special historic value, leave it in the condition that it is in, don't try to clean the patina from the blade.

About three months ago, a client walked into my sporting goods store. He had an "old hunting knife" and needed the cash. I asked to see it.

After bringing it from his car, he told me that his wife had bought the knife for about 25 bucks over 30 years ago as a gift, and he had put it in the trunk of his car and never touched it again..

Other than telling me he was driving a +30 year old car, it also conveyed that the knife was unused.

I opened the bag, and there was an early Puma bowie knife, with stag handles and the all of the original items--original box, instruction sheet, receipt from the store, etc.

I called my stag collector, and he drove right over.

The collector offered the man 125 dollars, a quintuple amount. The man was so down and out that he took the money, said thank you about six times and ran from the store before anyone changed their mind.

Later that night, my collector friend called me and stated that after research to check the numbers on the knife, the condition and providence proved that the knife was one of Puma's early quarterly collectibles.

Due to its perfect condition, it was worth over six hundred dollars.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
I would be interested in hearing news about knives. I am not an avid collector.

I currently only have a couple of knives, a Gerber that has exchangeable blades, and a Case pocket knife.

I wouldn't mind hearing your recommendation on a good quality pocket knife!

BTW, good idea for a thread.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am a peculiar collector. Since I was very young I traveled all over mediterranean see (Italy of course) but also greece, turky, tunise, corse etc, mostly by bike. So I discovered there is (was indeed) something that makes very similar each to other the handmade knives that shepard used for eating, cutting woods, killing lambs and somethimes (much more often in Sardinia and Sicily) kill peeples. We are speaking of very rude items, folding knives with mouton horn handles and NON stainless blades forged by hands, sometimes with some secrets tecnics to mahe the iron stay terribly sharp, by local craftmans wich often where also horsescoerers. Thats what I started collecting.
Now I like those pieces, and some other italian tradional fighter, much more than any contemporary industrial produccts

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
GrayRider said:
What if my grandfather WAS Audie Murphy?
Well, it probably doesn't increase your value at all. You may want to run that by your SO to be sure.

However, even though your net worth didn't increase, you may still be desireable to hang around with and swap lies and stories, provided of course you are buying!

:hystria: :beer4u:

·
Registered
185 Posts
hello Tourist, I have a puma hunter' s pal (skinner shaped one, pumaster steel, 6397 hand made blade, and stag handle) wich is absolutely brand new else if it belongs from early '80. Mail me if Your's stag collectors is interested.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Neat thread, you have me thinking.

Any idea what this is? Does it have any worth? (curious) My Dad gave this to me years ago, 30 maybe? Said his Uncle gave it to him.

It has moved from house to house with me, but always finds a home in the basement, and I always wondered what it was, and if it's worth anything to a collector.

This thread made me go find it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well thanks to the power of the internet, I've learned it is a Nazi Red Cross Leader daggar, cool hey?

It shows some values and unless I can't read, in normal used condition, it says around $950.00, wonder if that's accurate? Of course condition is subjective, and mine does not have the "dress" pieces, neat none the less.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beyond just momentary value, it's a great hobby just to putz with.

I got into the 'tactical' aspect of the hobby in about 1996. Like anything else, you defend your first love, although cutlery has been following me since birth. I usually respond to '1996' since it's the first time I paid more than 100 bucks for a knife. (I felt my pocket every ten minutes to make sure I had not lost it!)

Even in this 'post 9/11 PC age' you can usually hand your EDC over to your buddy across a plate of eggs at Perkins and still not offend the masses.

Every pair of jeans I own has the piping on the right front pocket ripped to shreds. That's where I clip my knife. If I'm riding a great distance, I switch over to a sheath knife just to stop the handle from jamming me into the thigh. But I always have something with me.

If for no other reason than to cut the 'weiners' at Capital City. I think they are the old, worn-out, Sportster front tires filled with Spam, but what the hey, they're free...

What's your EDC...?

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Interesting thread. I have way too many knives. I don't know what it is about them, but I've been kind of collecting for years. I say kind of, because I have very few expensive knives, just a couple of Emerson folders. Gerber, Cold Steel, Marbles, etc, etc. My favorites are non-carbon steel inexpensive knives like "mountain men" are supposed to have carried. Despite all the tactical folders, I usually carry either my grandpa's Schrade Improved Muscrat pocket knife or a little swiss army knife that has cigar scissors in it.
I admire Randall knives and some of the custom makers, but I'm afraid that if I paid that much, I'd never use it.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I started collecting lock blade knives by accident in 1987. I won a Sharade at a cookout and about a week later I won a Case Mako in a raffle. One thing lead to another and I know have about 80 American Made lock blade knives. Most are still in the original boxes. My problem is what to do with them. I don't really know much about them or their value many of them were won in raffles. Currently I've got them locked in a safe but I'd like to find some way to display them. Any suggestions?

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
I have a few knives as well. Each one has something special about it.

Good thread Mr. T

·
Rider
848 Posts
I don't really collect but accumulate. Have several DU knives. Not sure they are really worth anything. My favorite though is one my bride bought me a couple of years ago. Its a Benchmade "mechanically assisted opening" knife. It's not a switchblade because those are illegal. ^rolleyez^

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
My grandpa gave me my first knife at seven, it was a custom made knife from a local knifesmith in the small town I grew up in. I still have that knife, and my granpa's just like it when he passed. Both knives are "retired" from use, and i've since befriended a local knifemaker and purchased several of his knives, one lockback that i carry daily, and use all the time. growing up down south, it seems we all carried pocketknives since childhood......hell my elementary school principal would sharpen your knife for you and give it back before you got on the bus!!!

Steve
05 fxdi

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I actually grew up in Lucedale dog...............i'm sure you know where that is,we thought mobile was a boomin' metropolis!!

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
ya mean Mobile ain't? :blink: .. shoot - we got a dog track, a battleship, 12 Waffle Houses, forty-eleven dozen pawn shops and at least a hundred Baptist churches

yep, been to, and through, Lucedale

Speaking of knives, right now I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion. I've had and lost a couple dozen pocket knives over the years - Craftsman, Case(s), Schrade(s), Gerber(s), Puma(s), Boker Tree Brand, Buck(s). My favorite (besides my $13 machete) was a Boker switchblade with wood-inlaid handle that I picked up in Cologne, Germany.

And why is it that when you find the perfect kitchen knife it seems to grow legs? Kids.

This Kershaw is a great little knife.

Hell, I may have to take a trip to Madison just to show Chico just how bad a po ol country boy can mar an edge. Have to wipe all the hoghead cheese outta the hinge first. If I do, I'll borry my buddy's blue ticks an see if I can track down a ghost up there they call MadCity.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts