V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 88b motored springer softtail with s/e slip ons,air cleaner and techclusion performance controller.
I,ve read alot of good things about woods cams......All i,d like to do is go with a cam change and leave what i,ve done with it so far as it is for now.
Does any one have any feedback they can share with me on what woods cam I could use and what they are making....hp. and torque.....what can I expect.(the bike is 05 EFI)

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
If you have to have Wood, then the TW6 is a bolt in unit that will give you some ooomph. But you should raise the compression up a bit to get a real benefit from that cam. Thinner head gaskets can get you there but you will need to remove the heads. And as long as you have the heads off, well, a little port job will really open up some options for you. If I were you and didn't want to do the heads, I'd go with the Andrews 26. Just MHO.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Check out this thread about the tw21G's looks like quite a few like em with basically stock setup. http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=67473
I don't know from experience but from my reading, I'd say 21's or 26's are what you are looking for. Putting 37's in my bagger as we speak, but did heads(Big Boyz), bored TB, (I have MM/EFI) and BB with 9.7:1 so probably the next up the performance ladder from where you're headed.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK......so if I drop the woods cam idea and go with 26,s I should be coming real close to around 80 horse and close to 90 torque?
Could these cams be used with success for an incremental build......say...headwork and maybe 95" somewhere down the road?

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Another consideration depending on your riding style is a gear change.
This could be the biggest seat of the pants mod ?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
BIBS said:
OK......so if I drop the woods cam idea and go with 26,s I should be coming real close to around 80 horse and close to 90 torque?
Could these cams be used with success for an incremental build......say...headwork and maybe 95" somewhere down the road?
Perhaps you should stick with SE aircleaner, a good flowing exhaust a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner and a reputable dynometer operator and SERT tuner. You may suprise yourself at just what the little stock set up can produce. If want more--well--everything is already in place and it'll give more time for your research and a better idea of how you ride with just that l'il bump in power you experienced to guide you in your research.

I further suggest before you make all performance mods to consider upgrades on your front brakes and your front shocks (better pad/heavier fork oil) and perhaps a rear tire that lasts more than 10k-14k miles of normal driving or has better traction than the OE tire. Just a thought on how to spend YOUR money. Get the platform right before you put the power in it.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Good Post

Kelly
Good post
great tips
What you touched on makes sense
Alot of riders overlook the obvious...
out of sight...out of mind...

Thanks

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Another thought. As mentioned a trip to the dyno. This way you know where you are currently and if you are tuned correctly as is. Then as you make changes and return to the dyno you will know if you got what you intended. I went after my first changes and always have wished I had that baseline to look back at. It is nice to measure your progress. One warning this can become addictive as I have been to the dyno half a dozen times or more since.:)

·
rambleon
16 Posts
kelly said:
Perhaps you should stick with SE aircleaner, a good flowing exhaust a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner and a reputable dynometer operator and SERT tuner. You may suprise yourself at just what the little stock set up can produce. If want more--well--everything is already in place and it'll give more time for your research and a better idea of how you ride with just that l'il bump in power you experienced to guide you in your research.

I further suggest before you make all performance mods to consider upgrades on your front brakes and your front shocks (better pad/heavier fork oil) and perhaps a rear tire that lasts more than 10k-14k miles of normal driving or has better traction than the OE tire. Just a thought on how to spend YOUR money. Get the platform right before you put the power in it.
Good idea on those tips Kelly...I'll use them for future reference...though I don't think BIBS would need heavier fork oil for his Springer. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the good stuff fellas!! I really think the cams are the way to go,an interesting note to consider is the gear change......3.37-1 in conjunction with 26,s(cams) oughta really round things out!!!!!! whatayas think about this???

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
BIBS,

If you look at the link adlerx posted you will see that some even use the TW-21 in a big bore. The TW-26 A or G will respond very well if you later decide to upgrade to big bore and/or headwork. Excellent for baggers!

Considering that you have a relatively light Springer Softail and if you mainly ride solo, when you do go to big bore AND headwork you may be be happier changing to the TW-37 B or G.

So my recommendation, stick in a $200 TW-26A for now and when you have the extra cash for a big bore and headwork also change to a TW-37G.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts