V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having a discussion with the wife, we are wondering how the riders in hot weather states deal with high temps and wearing a full face helmet. such as do you wear head socks or du rags ar just the helmet? what does work the best?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Myself, I don't wear a helmet unless it's *really* freakin cold out, otherwise just a bandana or whatever to prevent burn.

My wife on the other hand ALWAYS wore a helmet until one day when it was almost 100 degrees I suggested she might want to leave it home just once. Well we went for a short ride -her on the back, and she loved it! When she bought her Harley she always wore the helmet, then she tried some short trips without it, now she feels confident enough to ride without one.

It was totally her own doing and I didn't pressure her either way, it has to be her decision.

She will still wear the half-face on the highway, and that's okay by me.
:)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Unless I am driving for some long "non-stop" distances, if it is really hot and only a few hours drive, I will wear my "half-helmet".

If I am heading through a very busy city (like DC) and it is really hot, I might wear the full but....

Either way I wear a "dew rag" under both. There is a new "head sock" that works really well too!;)

·
Registered
985 Posts
I bought the little woman a Bieffe (sp?) full face that has vents on top and bottom.
She doesn't like the half helmet because of bugs and debris.
I try to go fast enough to keep her cool.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I live here in Southwest Oklahoma, the temps in July an August stay in the 100s, I don't see anyone around here wearing a full face helmet, just half helmets, the only time I pull mine out is if I'm going to be ridding in the rain or in the winter.

Mongo like candy!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Drink water

I always wear a full face, regardless of weather. On long rides, I carry a "Camel Back" to drink from between stops. Then I drink as much as I can when filling up. I don't have any problems with heat from the helmet (black full face), more from my suit (black 1 piece).

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might want to wear a Slik cap or rag under the full face if you don't want unspeakable things happening to your doo. And that still may not keep you cool much. In Houston it doesn't take much to sweat like a pig. Try one of those evaporative cooling neck wraps. Harley sells them. They look and feel cool.

I went to Las Vegas in May from Houston on our Road King with a Slik cap under a full face helmet and a cordura jacket on. Big hot heat from hell I tell ya! By the time I got to College Station, I was down to a t-shirt and ballcap and the neck coolwrap. My wife, bless her soul, kept her full face helmet and leather jacket on the whole way. She told me she wanted to take her helmet and jacket off, but my driving scared her too much. Ouch!! It was low 90's in Houston and over 100 degrees by the time we rolled into Laughlin and Vegas.

John

G

·
I always wear a full-face. In hot weather I open the vents and the faceshield a bit, and soak my do-rag in water at each stop. I use a neck wrap with the water crystal gizmos and if REALLY hot a vest with the crystals. Worst I saw this year was 103 deg, and I was OK all day. One of the venders for the neck wraps and vests also sells one that fits inside the helmet, haven't tried it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wear a full-face at all times as well. In the daytime, I usually wear sunglasses and crack the visor open a good bit to keep the air flowing. Of course it comes all the way open in stop-and-go traffic. :D I actually think the full-face keeps me cooler because my head doesn't dry out so much (I'm a full-time sweater).

I second the suggestion about having water on the ride. I keep some in a tank bag with a hose so I can drink on the fly. (not to mention you can squirt it on your shirt or pants if you want.)

Between hydration and good circulation, I've been comfortable enough in the worst heat--even during an 85 ft slide down the asphalt that would have chewed a hole in my skull.:D

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Last weekend when I was in Illinois picking up the scoot, I had to buy a helmet because of coming through Missouri. It was a peanut shell and I ended up wearing it the full 1,024 miles home.

When it got hot, ( and it was ) I just lifted up the front, shoved some air over the old head and was fine.

·
A$$HOLE!
467 Posts
Helmets suk -- I ride with a shell, only when I have to.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey guys thanks for all the info, i am very surprised at how many of you wear helmets. at least one thing we have the choice in Wi. after seeing my wife go down it was a wake up call to me as far as safty goes.
Glad to see Jimmy K is home maybe he can tell us about his trip?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts