V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
S&S has some stroker cranks as well as big bore kits. I think that the same problem with all V-twins here is the size of the piston and the largest not having skirts unless the cylinder is longer - that causes fit problems and frame modification. The sportster engine has 4 seperate cams and the best valve geometry of any push rod V-twi. Stroked and BB, properly balanced, could easily get 7500 rpm and maybe more. That is where the power is. A well done sporty motor kicks ass. I saw some articles that had cut the trans out of the engine and modified the cases to fit in a softail frame. That bike could be a real sleeper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love to hate crotch rockets also.....
BUT thats much effort to take down a 7000.00 plastic bike that will turn very low 10's in a 1/4 with a top speed of 170mph all day long bone stock,,,
lets not go head to head with one for no real reason.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Buy Yamaha and/or Suzuki for power. In talented hands a stock FZ1 can run 10.5 at 130

Buy a Honda for rock solid engineering at some tradeoff in power.

Buy Ducati for general acceptance in lots of crowds.

Buy a Harley for style, the sound, Harley get togethers.. Save your money and just accept the above.

AW

·
Registered
6 Posts
HHHmmmmmmm,
I ll let my 1999 cbr1100 Super Blackbird know that im traiding off power next time I ride her,,, :)

Top Speed - Stock - 179mpph..

Buy Yamaha and/or Suzuki for power. In talented hands a stock FZ1 can run 10.5 at 130

Buy a Honda for rock solid engineering at some tradeoff in power.

Buy Ducati for general acceptance in lots of crowds.

Buy a Harley for style, the sound, Harley get togethers.. Save your money and just accept the above.

AW

·
Registered
117 Posts
Data from 3 years ago.. and these are stock numbers

1/4 Mile Times:
ZX-14....................9.04
Hayabusa..............9.23
Ducati 999R.........10.10
Yamaha R1...........9.779
GSXR1000............9.774
Honda1000RR......9.898
Ducati1098............9.99

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Data from 3 years ago.. and these are stock numbers

1/4 Mile Times:
ZX-14....................9.04
Hayabusa..............9.23
Ducati 999R.........10.10
Yamaha R1...........9.779
GSXR1000............9.774
Honda1000RR......9.898
Ducati1098............9.99
Not true-
stock ZX14 and Busa's do not run 9.0's or 9.20's...Not even close-:hystria:
High 9's to low 10's is more like it-and that is with a good rider.
Check out Cycle World, or any other legit sportbike mag.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Anybody built a high HP wild ass sportster? How do they respond to performance mods? What kits are available? How big can you go on a big bore kit.

Was kicking around the idea of doing a bare bones hot rod sporty just for fun. Something to embarass the crotch rocket crowd on a regular basis. They are cheap, plentyful and light.

Anybody got experiences or pics?
Built an 88"(have built several) a couple years back for a cat locally, with T/Storm castings, Andrews cams, G carb/T/jetted.
1 3/4" drag pipes, 30" long, w/bolts.
Rolled out 119 hp and just clipped 100 ft/lbs.
He stops by to get oil/filters/tires.
He seems happy with it.:)
Scott

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not true-
stock ZX14 and Busa's do not run 9.0's or 9.20's...Not even close-:hystria:
High 9's to low 10's is more like it-and that is with a good rider.
Check out Cycle World, or any other legit sportbike mag.
We can quibble over details but that stuff is wicked even stock. My other bike is a fairly typical liter bike. It is scary fast. It has a 75 mph first gear and wheelies are just a wrist twist away from 4000 to 11500 even with my chest on the tank. I pulls hard even at 2000. And mine is far from the "fast stuff".

I just can't advised anyone to sink huge money in a bike to push it out of it's domain.

AW

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
We can quibble over details but that stuff is wicked even stock. My other bike is a fairly typical liter bike. It is scary fast. It has a 75 mph first gear and wheelies are just a wrist twist away from 4000 to 11500 even with my chest on the tank. I pulls hard even at 2000. And mine is far from the "fast stuff".

I just can't advised anyone to sink huge money in a bike to push it out of it's domain.

AW
Damn right the sportbikes are fast-very fast. Faster than most every VTwin out there. But not faster than all VTwins from a stoplight or 1/8 or 1/4 mile.:spank:
Those low 10-high 9 second 1/4 mile times the top sportbikes run by the way are with PRO riders under ideal conditions-normal street guys run low-mid 10's at local tracks and rarely can get into the 9's on any STOCK Sportbike. I've run against them for years.
99% of sportbike riders don't know how to launch em' from a dead stop without wheelie em' and while there front tire is in the air, I am already so far out in front of em' they can't catch me in the 1/8 and not even in the 1/4 unless they are built and/or know how to ride.
Of course it is easier to just get a sportbike-but what fun would that be?
A big bore 100" plus sportster set up right will run EZ 10's and challenge alot of stock sportbikes stoplight to stoplight-just don't start playin' with the liter bikes on the freeway or open road...as an azz woopin' will most definitely follow!

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Have a friend that used to put the "built" sportbikes(w/wheelie bars) on the trailer weekend, after weekend, after very sound beatings, with his 1968 Iron XL. 9.0's @ 143-45 mph.
We used to give him open dyno time here, at no charge.:)
Scott

·
Registered
117 Posts
But can those low 10s Sportys be ridden on the street in 40 degrees to 110 degrees weather year after year.

Now as far as a personal challenge to beat a sport bike with a Harley, that can't ever be justified but it is a fun goal. It will be expensive.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
justified? sure, when they hurt your feelins on the street. watching a zookasaki turn off after you hand him his azz is priceless!

take a pinto and whip a z06. imagine the thrill!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a friend with a 8 sec street driven Mustang with a 4 cylinder turbo at about 1000 HP. But it is not cheep. There really is a price.

Google Huber mustang

When ever my zookasaki gets smoked by a Sporty, I certainly will have the joy from seeing what he did to it to get it there. My 10.5 sec zookasaki is still stock. My Sporty is not. I had to tune it to just get it acceptable for my wife to ride.

AW

·
Registered
646 Posts
When ever my zookasaki gets smoked by a Sporty, I certainly will have the joy from seeing what he did to it to get it there. My 10.5 sec zookasaki is still stock. My Sporty is not. I had to tune it to just get it acceptable for my wife to ride.

AW
Sorry, I didnt read back to far. What size motor in your Sporty? What model sportbike you run?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nothing real fast!

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
When we would test-tune(AHDRA Mod Class Big Twin) at our local track, ESTA Saftey Park, Cicero, NY, we would puposely put the import bikes of the pipe side of our bike. When it would come up on the 2-step, that would fu(k them all up. Game over:redrolf:
Scott

41 - 60 of 81 Posts