V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey newbie here and getting ready to start a project like this topic. I have a 107 S&S motor laying around. Anyone know if it will it fit in an 883?

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Not even close! The 107 is a big twin and has a separate transmission. Sportsters have the transmission built into the motor.

·
The great camel toe escap
1,133 Posts
depends on if you burned it or not.. sportsers have alot of oil out the breathers.. somthing with the umbrelea valves that use oil.. and when their cammed an big bore their more prone to this.. thing is though i never had a huge prob with it./

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I have a 2002 Buell and it goes like stink on $hit. If I was building a Sporty I would Ebay a Buell engine and just swap them out or just Ebay the Thunderstorm heads, order up some Thunderstorm pistons (TS heads can only use TS pistons)and the cams of your choice. If your not in a hurry you can find this stuff cheap.

·
1,133 Posts
that maybe true.. but if your gonna go thru that trouble why not do the xb1200 heads and have them played with and go with a cam of choice.. the sc 235 cams are a nice cam. i have a andrews n8 cam wich i think is the same lift as a n4 but more duration and i think over lap.. the n4 is comparable to the stock xb cam and the n8 makes a alot of power but its a drag cam and makes it all up high..

the thunderstorm heads are a good choice on a bidget build... make sure you have the heads send in and the squish set at 30% i think..(brain fart) what ever the stock squish is.. but have it milled so its even.. the stock castings are natourisly uneven. i would also send in and have the pistons matched to the heads at the same time.. while your at it send in your stock cylinders and have them bored over at the same time.....

and hugie you got an idea their.. by switching to the thunderstorm motor.. but outside of the cams pistons and heads their is no real difference(not includie the obvious difference of efi and ecu controlled timing.) they didnt start getting very difference untill the interduction of the xb platform wich also had a lighter crank too.... wich i am not sure if that can be put in.....

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
that maybe true.. but if your gonna go thru that trouble why not do the xb1200 heads and have them played with and go with a cam of choice.. the sc 235 cams are a nice cam. i have a andrews n8 cam wich i think is the same lift as a n4 but more duration and i think over lap.. the n4 is comparable to the stock xb cam and the n8 makes a alot of power but its a drag cam and makes it all up high..

the thunderstorm heads are a good choice on a bidget build... make sure you have the heads send in and the squish set at 30% i think..(brain fart) what ever the stock squish is.. but have it milled so its even.. the stock castings are natourisly uneven. i would also send in and have the pistons matched to the heads at the same time.. while your at it send in your stock cylinders and have them bored over at the same time.....

and hugie you got an idea their.. by switching to the thunderstorm motor.. but outside of the cams pistons and heads their is no real difference(not includie the obvious difference of efi and ecu controlled timing.) they didnt start getting very difference untill the interduction of the xb platform wich also had a lighter crank too.... wich i am not sure if that can be put in.....
Well we are almost on the same page:whistle: BUT... The XB heads are harder to come by and because they can be had, that made the TS heads drop in price. Ignition is no problem because if your running a hot EVO your going to upgrade anyway. You did hit on the very reason why buying a complete Buell engine is a very good idea!!! Buell has been building their engines since 1999. I'm pretty sure all Buells after 99 have the different bearings and lightened crank flywheels and you can hear the difference just by REVVVing the engine how fast it winds up! At the momment I'm waiting on an oilpump up grade that Buell installed on their 2007 engines. I have heard it has about 20% more scavaging and 10% more volume. I'll be installing a bronze drive gear also because of the horror storys of the gear eating itself:woohoo:

·
1,133 Posts
understand like i said if its a budget build then the thunderstorm heads are a great choice... and buell motors the thunderstorm motors came out in 98 in the s1w..... i dont think theis thunderstorm motors had the lightened crank.. alomost positive of that.. its the same botom end as a 1200 sport motor.. they came stock with 10.5-1 pistons .497 lift cams and a 6800 rev limiter. with that setup your gonna be around 85 wheel hp.. maybe more if you go with bigger cams ported heads and a good 2-1... and of course a 42mm mikuni.....

they didnt go to lighter cranks till the xb motors....

again i might be wrong.... i would say do some research on the cranks and see as far as i remember all the thunderstorm bottom ends are the same as a stock 1200.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
1Fast2Liter knows what he is talking about when it come the the Modern XB parts and what not and I have learned a thing or two from his posts.

The Thunderstorm parts were the hot item back them to build more power and convert an 883 to 1200 but times change and so does technology.

Now that said my 883 was converted to 1200 using 98-99 parts from Buell and Thunderstorm.

Below is a list of changes/upgrades made by the original owner.

Buell 1200 Cylinders
Buell 10.5:1 pistons
Buell Thunderstorm Heads
Screaming Eagle cams
Screaming Eagle Ignition and coil
Screaming Eagle A/C with K&N Lifetime Filter
Screaming Eagle jet kit
Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Pro Pipe
Progressive 11 1/2 inch shocks to keep the front tire on the ground.

It took 3rd place in he AMI Brute HP Shootout in he 1200 V-Twin class at Daytona back when he was a student there.

Has some 80 plus HP at the rear wheel.

Now the XB heads and what not might get me more HP but I am overly happy with the 80 plus I have now.

Now it don't look like much with the 883 Tanks Markings and all but ya gotta love the looks you get from folks that got their butts kicked to the next light.

Next Mod I make after what I have already done would be go go to a 29 or 30 tooth Primary.

Karsten

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Well I may be off on the year but I know my 2002 has the lighten crank. I'm Almost sure when Buell put out the 101hp engine that was the begining of the lightened crank. The XB is 103hp w/ the new heads and cam grinds. Also the new oil pump system is helping out.

·
1,133 Posts
hmm that mite be 103 at the wheels.. the thunderstorm was around 105 a the crank.. wich is around 80 at the wheels.... my sportster put out over 80 at the wheels and that was with a stock crank.. with the lighter crankyou dont gain alot in the way of hp more then the ability to rev quicker....

if your budget minded and want power then follow the list karsten posted.. she makes that with no mention of the heads being played with.. imagine her setup with a full port&polish on the heads...... i have noticed with the screaming eagle a/c unit theirs alot of oil out of the breathers... not a ton but youll notice it.... not enough used to make a difference in a 4000 miles between oil changes.......

and yes nothing better then handing their ass to them stop light to stoplight..lol

lol would like to add i switched to the custom shocks on mine and it helped a tad.... but when ur in the sweet spot for them cams and u chage gears the front tire does come up.. kinda like power shifting a car were you get the right spot and break them loose from 1-2 or 2-3.. well same here but tire comes up off the ground.... enough to surprise the sportbike owners...

·
Registered
238 Posts
If your budget minded and want power then follow the list karsten posted.. "SHE" makes that with no mention of the heads being played with.. imagine "HER" setup with a full port&polish on the heads...... .
Those ""She" and "Her" would be all wrong....I be 52 years worth of Old Man still thinking he was young. Imagine a Tommy Lee Jones with short temper and hates knives but has more than the average 10 other people :woohoo:

Karsten

·
1,133 Posts
ah.. lol i apoligize for some reason i thought you were a 52 yrold harley woman..lol my bad.....

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Sporties are very capable of hurting a *** bike. I would like to see a sporty with a 3in stroke and a 4in bore! That would be very interesting........especially in a buell frame.:whistle:
Oh yeah baby!!!

Something like this Ratt....???...........???

THE NEW BUELL:
Engine Helicon™ liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 72° V-Twin Helicon™ liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 72° V-Twin
Valve Train DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, finger follower design & shimming DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, finger follower design & shimming
Bore x Stroke 4.055 in. x 2.658 in.
Displacement 68.70 cu. In. 1125 cc
Compression Ratio 12.3 : 1 12.3 : 1
Fuel Delivery Dual 61 mm down draft throttle bodies, DDFI III fuel injection Dual 61 mm down draft throttle bodies, DDFI III fuel injection
Intake Zero-resistance airbox, pressurized RAM air intake Zero-resistance airbox, pressurized RAM air intake
Torque 82 ft. lbs @ 8000 RPM
Horsepower 146 HP :woohoo:

BTW...Anyone who doesn't think a monster sporty can run with a sportbike light to light must have a slow bike-

·
1,133 Posts
i think thats the vrod motor shoved into a buell frame...

·
DILLIGAF
537 Posts
Oh yeah baby!!!

Something like this Ratt....???...........???

THE NEW BUELL:
Engine Helicon™ liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 72° V-Twin Helicon™ liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 72° V-Twin
Valve Train DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, finger follower design & shimming DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, finger follower design & shimming
Bore x Stroke 4.055 in. x 2.658 in.
Displacement 68.70 cu. In. 1125 cc
Compression Ratio 12.3 : 1 12.3 : 1
Fuel Delivery Dual 61 mm down draft throttle bodies, DDFI III fuel injection Dual 61 mm down draft throttle bodies, DDFI III fuel injection
Intake Zero-resistance airbox, pressurized RAM air intake Zero-resistance airbox, pressurized RAM air intake
Torque 82 ft. lbs @ 8000 RPM
Horsepower 146 HP :woohoo:

BTW...Anyone who doesn't think a monster sporty can run with a sportbike light to light must have a slow bike-
@gree:

They definitely hit the mark with the new motor, but I would still like to see that in 4cammer, pushrod motor. Obviously it will suffer from the crappy 45 degrees, but atleast it would dino era and kick as$ at the same time.... It can still have down draft carbs....or injection:whatever: But it will not be designed by rotax, a watercraft company.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
You guys should really educate yourselves before you post. The new Buell 1125R has a Rotax engine which is very similar to the engine used in Aprilia sportbikes. They had to outsource something with a lot more power to come close to competing in the sportbike market. Also, a "Monster" sporty will run with a sportbike from light to light, but only that far. They are tough to launch, but the power to weight ratio is in another world. An 80hp sportbike barely qualifies as a beginner bike. New 600cc sportbikes turn fairly easy 10 sec 1/4 miles and that's only a side-effect of what they were actually designed for.....

21 - 40 of 81 Posts