V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get another opinion on this little dilemna.I just installed a new HD horn cover on my'06 EG and the thing makes a mufffled sound.I know the over tightening can damage a horn.So didn't do that.I can take it apart and let it hang down and the horn blows find.
I have installed the same cover on my RK and never a problem.Any ideas guys?This is driving me crazy.I have taken it apart several times and shimed and get an intermitten sound.Any help would be appreciated.I installed the bar and shield design cover it that should help.Thanks....Danny

·
Registered
413 Posts
HD horns usually have a (single) mechanical screw adjustment on the back side of the assembly that would allow you to adjust it for optimal sound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:coffee:
TWOHATS said:
I wanted to get another opinion on this little dilemna. I just installed a new HD horn cover on my'06 EG and the thing makes a muffled sound. I know the over tightening can damage a horn. So didn't do that. I can take it apart and let it hang down and the horn blows fine.
I have installed the same cover on my RK and never a problem. Any ideas guys? This is driving me crazy. I have taken it apart several times and shimed and get an intermitten sound. Any help would be appreciated. I installed the bar and shield design cover it that should help. Thanks....Danny
Let me see if I follow this correctly.
With the new cover on horn sounds muffled, remove it shim it, still muffled and intermitten sound.
But allow it to hang free of the bike and it is OK.
When you shimmed it I guess that you shimed the cover away from the horn so that it would not touch the horn.
What happened when you installed the bar and shield design cover. Did it sound ok or what??
If you still have the same problem with the bar and shield then check the wiring make sure it's perfect no pinched spot that would ground out.
"Intermitten sound" could be a juice problem meaning that it could be grounding out.
If free hanging sounds Ok that means the horn is not required to be grounded to the bike (follow the idea here)

{salute(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.I finally got a chance to ride the bike.I tested the horn again.While the bike is not running the horn is muffled.I tried it while
bike running and the output is normal.Why is this?Is this the norm?As lopng as it works while running I guess that is fine.I really appreciate all concerns for giving me the responses.

·
Registered
413 Posts
When the motor is running the battery sustains a slightly higher voltage from the regulator than when the motor is not running. That additional voltage is probably just enough to resonate the horn diaphragm loudly as normal. The metal casing portion of the horn should receive a solid ground connection to chassis from either the mounting hardware or an additional ground wire to help prevent power loss to the horn. The horn is susceptible to degradation from simply lack of use and moisture anyway, so it not too uncommon to have to spruce up that set screw diaphragm adjustment I mentioned in earlier post.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
It may be a corrosion problem. Take each terminal off and clean them with electrical contact cleaner. They are not that well proctected from the elements. A thin coat of grease on them will help to keep them clean.

thrasher

1 - 6 of 6 Posts