V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Stealing an idea from 'Rustler's' web site.
Flash your Headlight with the Horn
I'm wondering if it can be 'adapted' to work with the 'Passing Lamps'?

The problem is that going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, keeping the passing lamps 'on' (I've put in 55w bulbs I think) blinds other drivers!!!
Now if I could keep them off, which I'm having to do at the minute and if a cager needs a blast of the horn, the High Beam AND passing lamps come on as well!!!
(more like spot lamps :D )
I must add that I've got my passing lamps independently wired on a circuit of their own straight from the battery/in line fuse/toggle at nacelle to Passing Lamps/earth.
If I keep the toggle switch in the 'off' position and splice in between the toggle switch and the passing lamps/earth and join up with the white wire off the high beam.
It 'should' make the horn sound/High Beam/Passing lamps all come on together when the relay is activated???
Meanwhile I'll still have the option of using the passing lamps at will.

or am I talking bullshit? :rolleyes:

Here a link to the page in 'Rustler's' SITE

Its in 'Tech Tips' Bottom of the list.

STARTER RELAY W/DIODE

Part code: 31504-91A Price: £9.56 Sterling over here :eek:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Harleyhog......I read your post several times and it sounds like you've got it working already???? You said when you hit the horn, the high beams and passing lights come on. So it sounds to me like it's working as you hoped. (or is this what you are hoping to happen,,,) I'll try to answer your question as I've interpreted it. If i've misunderstood your question, I'm sorry.

If you connect the white wire from the high beams to a point between your passing lamp switch and passing lamps, it will work as you described. (pressing the horn switch will activate the relay, blow the horn, turn on your high beams, and passing lamps while the switch is pressed)

The only problem I see is if you manually turn on your passing lamps with the switch mounted to you nacelle, the high beams will also come on along with your low beams. Personally I feel that's a good thing. You can never have too much light driving those back roads. I'm not sure what the capacity of the alternator is but I would think it could handle the extra current. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
attitude said:
Hey Harleyhog......I read your post several times and it sounds like you've got it working already????
Not yet, just checking to see if it'll work.
I've got the passing lamps on a seperate circuit though.

The only problem I see is if you manually turn on your passing lamps with the switch mounted to you nacelle, the high beams will also come on along with your low beams.
I thought of this 'after ' posting.
I'd like to have the option of having the passing lamps on/off using the toggle normally, without having the highbeam come on with them (for summer use) but keep ALL the lights activating with the horn/relay?????
I'm :confused: how to do this, if its possible?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I believe you will need a double pole,double throw relay to do what you want HH. With the high beam running through one set of relay contacts and the low beams running through the other set of contacts. The coil still energized by the horn switch circuit.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks cromagnum, I'll look into it on my day off. (monday)
Thanks slamin sammy and attitude also,.
So thats what I should ask for "double pole,double throw relay?That the 'proper' name for it?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I once wired a guy's turn signal to his horn in his car. He made it to the traffic light and beep beep beep beep. Hilarious. The guy in front of him didn't think it was too funny though.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just be careful and get a relay that will handle the current draw from your high beams cause as soon as you hit your horn and the contacts connect you might get a small arc between them which will either weld them together(very,very bad) or pit them, and after a time could cause a high resistance between the contacts. I believe you got the right idea though.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers magnum......;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
cromag is right. You can use a double pole-double throw relay to do what you are asking.

I originally was thinking you could use a double pole-double throw switch and replace your existing switch in your nacelle. But after drawing it up, the DPDT Relay is a much better idea.

Also...to expand on what cromag said about the relays. Your standard Bosch type realy is usaully rated at 40amps. You'll need to figure out how much current your high beams and passing lamps combined will draw. Since current for both will be going through the relay while the horn is blowing. I doubt it's anywhere near 40 amps but to be honest, I have do idea. The service manual might tell you how much they draw or if you have an amp meter, you can measure them yourself. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
(passing lamps)55W/12V=4.58amps Plus the High Beam and horn.
Do I count the passing lamps as one 55W or two?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You'll have to figure out the amps for each load and add em up. I guarantee even with all of it on it wont be a problem though. I think most alternators are probably 30-40 amp ?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Rustlers hideaway is not a bad site. I really like the idea of turning off the lights with the starting ckt. Would really help when battery is starting to go on the $hits. I think I might try this on my RKC.

·
Registered
194 Posts
HH.... Yes you'll have to include the current for both passing lamps and the high beam. You won't need to figure in the horn because it is not going through the relay contacts. it's only being used to energize the relay coil. But since you've firgured out the passing lamps draw about 10 amps total, I'm sure the relay can handle the remainder of the high beam's load.

I too like the idea of not having anything else "on" when cranking the motor. Makes sense to me. When you figure it out Cromag....let us know!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will it work?

Could only get a 2x30 amp relay, one unit but separate.
Will it work If I jump/join pins 85 86 and 87 then run separate wires from pin 30 to the passing lamps and High Beam?

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Tie both #87 together and feed from fused battery power

Tie both #85 together and feed both from the horn switch as you show

Tie both #86 together and ground both to frame or other suitable ground

And feed your two loads from the terminal #30

Should work.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts