V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoping for some help from you guys/gals...Custom Heritage Softail

I'm normally a Jeeper at heart, and ride a 1998 Honda Magna currently. However, for my 40th birthday the wife promised me an HD Fatboy. Well that's coming up August '07. Seems that a fellow teacher my wife works with, has a husband with a custom Heritage Softail that he's looking to sell after purchasing a brandy new one.

Here she is:

You guys can probably pick right up on the custom work he's done. I have plans on going to see it in person on Monday or Tuesday. He says he has about $30K into the bike total, and is looking for $17K.

I realize the whole "what's it worth" thing is completely subjective, and can only truely be done in person. But I don't want to get ripped off, and I haven't encountered any friends who are stout HD riders.

Here's what I know...
1998 Heritage Softail, lowered, tank stretched to 5gal and deck shaved, fenders stretched to accomodate 18" wheels, house of color paint, digital mirrors with all stats, S&S carb with matching port work and ignition, tons of chrome, kurakyn grips/pegs.
And you guys/gals can probably pick up on a lot more. I'm going to see/hear it and take more pictures and ask a ton more questions.

Any opinions here? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is just my humble opinion, but if I were to drop 17k on a bike I'd just go ahead and get that new Fat Boy. Of course, it'll be stock with maybe some custom headers.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
It's a nice looking bike but I wouldn't spend that much on a EVO. I would be more inclined to purchase a New Twin Cam with a warrenty and ride. JMO

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I have nothing against Evos, still love them. But IMO the way the V-Twin market has corrected itself lately, you're money would be better spent on a brandy-new one for yourself.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's kind of what I feared, as I'm very attracted to the bike. But what you all say makes sense, and good sense at that. Daaammmmnnnnn common sense, daaammmmnnn it all to hell. :hystria:

I greatly appreciate you taking your time here to help me. Need to take some time and hit the intro.
Thanks again!

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
You don't have to buy a Brand New one to get a hell of a deal. There are bikes that sell for good prices all the time on www.cycletrader.com with very few miles on them. If it is saving money, just search for 2001 - 2005 used twin cams on there. Some already have chrome added, pipes, and other items but at a good price. Then you can spend money saved on motor components. :) Not to mention stay away from the 06 and later models on the horizon.

BTW, why did that guy remove the fat front forks on that bike?

·
Registered
54 Posts
From one Wearite to another check out Twin States Harley in Lebonon N.H they
seem to be pretty good price wise. I wouldn't spend 17K on a 98 when you can by a brand new one for not much more. Should look at the new one's now if your serious you may not want to waste to much time as we get closer to spring the prices rise pretty fast good luck.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
FWIW, last month i traded in my 98 honda aero for an o2 flstfi fatboy which had 643 miles.I paid 15k for it.I have of course added to the bike since then but it's stuff that I added to make it MY bike.You can find deals out there i now i did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts