V-Twin Forum banner

Hope to own soon

528 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  guido 
#1 ·
Back to bikes after twenty five years. Had an old Honda 360 in my early years and have always wanted a Harley. Since getting my license again, I've been renting - so far Dyna Wide Glide, Low Rider and Deuce putting 200-300 miles on each day I rent. I like to stay away from traffic and just ride on two lane wide open country roads. Enjoy reading the forum and checking out dealers within 100 miles or so of Phila to see how they sell and price their bikes. Hope to buy a Softail Standard sometime after the first of the year - hopefully new or close to new at MSRP with delivery by spring. It seems that I'll be able to get the MSRP but the trick will be to get the price plus delivery.

#2 ·
Welcome aboard TJKSK...whats that stand for?

Just take your time trying to find the perfect bike. Dealers have them out there for MSRP, just don't go out and plop your cash out on the first one that you see relatively close to MSRP. The sales pressure will eat at you and almost force you to do it. I know, because it happened to me.

Anways, enjoy the forum and hope to see you around the site often.

#3 ·
"Back to bikes after twenty five years" I was in about the same boat you are and I would highly recommend MSF basic rider course. I think that would make you feel a lot more comfortable on your bike when you do get it. Oh MSF (motorcycle Safety foundation), they are usually taught at a local community college, just need to check around.

I do recommend this a lot because I know it helped me. And not only that, but this week in the Washington Post a guy was killed on his new 03 H-D. Went around a corner and lost it, but what got him was he crossed over on to incoming traffic and they ran over him. At least on the surface it appears to be attributed to inexperience and I sure don't want anything like that to happen to any of you guys.

Like one member put it: “You have to ride like everyone is out to kill you; and you are invisible. I thought it was good advise, bikes are a blast please ride safe.

#4 ·
Thanks V-Rod.

The MSF 3 day course was how I got my license this time around. You are right though - it was a great course (free in Pennsylvania) and I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't taken it. Hope to take the advanced riders course also offered by PA after I get my own bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.