V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With any luck I'll be picking up a low mileage 2001 Dyna this month from a friend. Anything about the 01's I should be aware of. This will my first HD and I am really looking forward to it. New to the board as well.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
GeorgeJ said:
With any luck I'll be picking up a low mileage 2001 Dyna this month from a friend. Anything about the 01's I should be aware of. This will my first HD and I am really looking forward to it. New to the board as well.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum.

You might check to see if the cam bearings have been changed. The cam bearings were problematic on some earlier models. The dealer that services the bike should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard about that. I thought that was fixed by 01. Is it something that happens to all or some? Was it a recall? Hope I'm not getting into a hornets nest.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Cam bearing issue was resolved by the time the 2001 models were introduced. If the bike has been well maintained and ridden responsibly, there should be no worries. I would ask to see the service record for the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the update - that's good news. The bike was dealer maintained and I know the owner pretty well. I'm looking forward to enjoying it. I'm already looking at things like swing arms from new models which allow a slightly bigger tire. I am sure there's posts here on things like that. I see a $kit$ available but I'm really only interested in maybe a 150 or 160 (like the newer Dynas) so a simple stock swingarm swap would work for me. But for now I just can't wait to put gas in it.
George

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
me

GeorgeJ said:
Thanks in advance.
i have an 01 fxd. the only problem(s) have been w/ the primary,an inner leak and thechain tensioner shoe cracked around 12k.nothing else at 21k....................................yet! good luck,have fun!

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
GeorgeJ said:
I see a $kit$ available but I'm really only interested in maybe a 150 or 160 (like the newer Dynas) so a simple stock swingarm swap would work for me.George

A simple swingarm swap??? lol....let us know how that simple swingarm change works out :hystria:

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
I believe they did away with the cam sensors in 01, if so ,you won't have to replace it like I did on my 2000! you will enjoy it very much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts