V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I did not get a response to the Kannoz slip-ons question, I decided to purchase a known brand. I am putting Hooker header slip-ons the tuneable ons, along with a Ness big sucker air filter. I decided to purchase a Power Commander rather than flash the chip. My question is this, is it better to flash the chip or to us a tuner when changing exhaust. I am looking for some added power and that throaty sound that everyone talks about. I will be changing the exhaust this weekend and would like to hear from this forum as to which is best.

Thanks,

Roadkingboss

P.S I am new to this forum and have really found the information to be helpfull.

·
Registered
458 Posts
When I got my 2000 Ultra it already had the HD stage 1 1550 flash in it. I wasn't happy with the pinging and blue pipe all the time so I got a PCII. I haven't put the right map in it yet, to cold and wet to ride anyway.
But it runs better and lost the pop out the exh. with the flash out of the box.
So don't wast your money on the HD flash just get the PC or the tuner for the new bikes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a set of Hooker slip-ons for dressers that I would sell for $500 Canadian if you haven't got yours yet. Have to ship from Vancouver BC though.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. FLHT, and confirming what I already thought. I,ve already downloaded the proper map for my set-up for the Power Commander web site. I will be sliping the pipes on later today and hope for the best as far as popping or backfiring. I will post some info. on the set-up as to the performance and sound. yzf996fxdwg, sorry but I already bought the pipes from Directparts.com at a real good price but thanks for the offer. Maybe someone might be intersted. Have you tried posting them on the for sale site of this forum. Although the price is kind of step for those used slip-ons. Bought mine new for $347.00. American dollars. Don't know what 500 Canadian translates to in U.S dollars?

·
Registered
276 Posts
thanks roadkingboss, sounds like you got a good price, that works out to a little over $500 can. guess I need to drop my price for used........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Put the upgrades on the Bike this weekend and loaded the Map that was recommended..... there is some slight popping on deceleration and sometimes in between shifting when I let go the throttle. Need to know what if anything can be done to correct this problem? Will getting it tuned at a dyno tune center help me get reed of this problem? If anyone is interested the pipes are LOUD!!!, very throaty, nice sound. Is there any way to lower the sound just a tad on these pipes? They are the Tune Flow Hooker slip-ons. By the way, I have the 2003 EFI gunmetal blue Road King Classic. Any advice, help is appreciated.

·
Registered
458 Posts
When I sent a email to PC to see what map they thought I should use, since I pull a trailer at times. Along with other questions I had. This is some of what they said, maybe it will help .

The right muffler turns blue from excessive heat, the heat is caused by the fresh air being pulled in from the left side. The left side sucks in the air and the air increases the heat of the exhaust gas. It then all goes out the right side. If you block off the left side, remove muffler and stick a freeze plug in, the reinstall muffler, this will stop the air from being pulled in. This will reduce the temps and also reduce the decell popping. With high flow mufflers all the exhaust goes out the right side anyways so it will not change the performance.

To cut down the pinging you can go to the ignition table and put in -3 to -5 in the cells and it will reduce the pinging. Also during the hot months try using the buel spark plug 10R12, it is cooler and will reduce pinging. Use a map for the samson or v&h slipons they should be close.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had my Hookers completely closed and they were still too loud for me. A little time at a tuning center cured the popping for me.......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yzf996fxdwg, talked to a tune center out here in Moreno Valley C.A. called Dyno Dudes they said that it will cost around $200.00 to make a custom map on the Dyno that could add up 10 HP and maximize my fuel and that includes getting reed of the popping. He explained that the reason the map that comes with the Power Commander did not work for me is that the Maps are programmed in the Headquaters in Nevada were the altitude is different etc.... would you happen to have a custom map for this set-up? Would really appriciate it if you could pass it along to the rest of us. Already paid close to $300.00 for the commander, hate to fork out another $200.00 just to make it work right for my bike. I am getting used to the pipes, really like the sound, but hate the popping.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't have the map, the original PC I had when the Hookers were on had an unfortunate melt down (long story, totally my fault). Even if I did have it, it would still be for my bike and the point of a custom map is it's for your bike. If you had a carb bike the same jets that worked on someone elses bike are probably not going to be perfect for you. Every motor is different even with the same parts installed. If you can spring for it, have the custom mapping, then you have a baseline for your bike and when you do more mods (and you will) you know what's working for you. Just my .02 but it's worked for me so far........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FLHT IronButt, thought hard about your suggestion, kinda sounds bad for the bike, although I,m sure it's not. I called PC and mentioned to them that I had this decell problem. What they said to me was to, Plug the bike up to my computer and make some changes on the map currently loaded for the set-up. They said to go to the 0% throttle position and starting at the 2500 RPM thur Redline, to type in 10 in all the boxes and that this should cure the popping. I asked them if this would effect the fuel economy and he said it should, but not to significant. If it stops raining out hear in C.A. by Saturday I will try this change to map and see if it cures the problem. I guess I will need to check the plugs, since this change is going to increase fuel to the engine. Anyone have some input as the the affect that this change will do. What else should I be looking for? I don't want to damage my bike.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
500 Canadian Dollar = 321.172 US Dollar

·
Registered
18 Posts
roadkingboss said:
FLHT IronButt, thought hard about your suggestion, kinda sounds bad for the bike, although I,m sure it's not. I called PC and mentioned to them that I had this decell problem. What they said to me was to, Plug the bike up to my computer and make some changes on the map currently loaded for the set-up. They said to go to the 0% throttle position and starting at the 2500 RPM thur Redline, to type in 10 in all the boxes and that this should cure the popping. I asked them if this would effect the fuel economy and he said it should, but not to significant. If it stops raining out hear in C.A. by Saturday I will try this change to map and see if it cures the problem. I guess I will need to check the plugs, since this change is going to increase fuel to the engine. Anyone have some input as the the affect that this change will do. What else should I be looking for? I don't want to damage my bike.
First off, don't bother trying to read your plugs.. with all the gas additives here in SoCal the color of the plugs is meaningless. Second, it is difficult to remove all the popping with the stock cross-over set up but you can improve the condition by putting -15 in all zero Throttle Postition (TP) cells from 2500 up to 6000 rpm. If that does not work put 8 in the first 2 cells on TP zero and see if that helps. Try different values in the first 2 cells and note the changes. You should find a set of values that minimize the popping....you will never get rid of it completely with the stock headers.

Good luck

·
Registered
458 Posts
It finaly warmed up some here so I got the right map in mine now. It realy kicks a$$ now, even lost most of the popping. Im a happy camper now, a lot better than HD's flash that it had when I got it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all, thanks for the input to the questions. Great forum!!! I went ahead and tried several different combination as suggested and the one that seemed to work the best was the one that PC suggested with 10 's thru-out the 0% throttle, 2500-6000 RPM. Although this did not take away the popping completely, it has made it tolerable. As FLHT
IronButt mentioned, it is probably going to take a soft plug on the left side to completely remove all the popping or as chinorider said,
changing the header. Both of which at this time I am unwilling to do. Guess I'll just have to live with some popping. Once again, thanks to everyone that responded.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to give an update to anyone that might be interested on the popping issues. Road the bike with the changes that I mentioned on the last post for about a month with mixed results. The popping was tolerable until I did some riding in the mountains, coming down hill, every time I let go the throttle the bike would just pop to the point where it became annoying. I had been trying different combination on the loaded map with unsatisfactory results, so this weekend I decided to try a map that was made for the samson rolled thunder pipes and I was very surprised that this cured all but a few occational minor popps. I compared the two maps on the PC and found that they are comparably close. I did notice a slight decrease in power and the pipes seemed to get a little more quieter, is this possible or is it just me? I will continue to ride the bike with this map and monitor the gas mileage to see if there is an improvement in that department also, I was getting about 34.5 MPG's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts