V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Brake Bleeding

cromagnum said:
Harleyhog, I'd be interested in seeing your contraption when it's done. OK, maybe I'd like to make one myself. Can't see paying so much for a tool that I would only use once in a great while.
Haven't actually made one yet, but I'm plannig it. :D

This is what it should do.
Here
This is what a Bought one looks like................

And, *cough,cough* this is the plans for what I Think WILL work.
ALL FOR ABOUT 10/15 £/$'S
By the way, Blame 'HIPPO' for this, he got my mind into '5th gear' when he said............

HIPPO said:

You can make something similar out of a mayonaise or peanut butter jar with a hermetically sealed top a few fittings and some hose as we did before they came up with this thing.
ps, don't laugh. I'll get upset.:(

·
Registered
688 Posts
So, you have never tried this out? You obviously spent some time on the drawing so I won't laugh about it.(snicker) Actually,I wouldn't be able to draw it any better. What do you use for the nozzle to bleed nipple? Has anyone else got any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cromagnum said:
What do you use for the nozzle to bleed nipple?

Seein as this would be a throw over your shoulder tool once the job is done, I would have thought that a piece of rubber tubing to fit the nipple with a small 8mm'ish hose clamp around it would suffice?

One thing I will say is, make sure that the Jar/Bottle will withstand the air pressure from the tyre!

Close the valve before filling it with fluid and connect it to a tyre, see if it will hold up, and is airtight!
Another thing is that if? and when you might be using something like this is to close the valve, connect it to the tyre, holding the 'outlet' end, and slowly open the valve again to expel air before connecting it to the nipple.
Use the valve to control the fluid flow!!! too much flow will make the fluid spurt out the master cylinder like a small fountain! :eek:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
8mm, is that a metric thingie type of measurement?:D

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
JFScheck said:
8mm, is that a metric thingie type of measurement?:D
:D That's funny. Reminds me of when I was in grade school and my teacher told us that the whole planet, except us, where on the metric system. And within 2 or 3yrs we would be to. I went home and told this to my dad. Well after he stopped laughing and wiped the beer from his face that came out his nose he said, "Son, you will never live to see that happen." I thought that meant I was history. He explained that he as allot of others in my fam where tool and die makers and there was no way in HELL that they where going to buy all new metric tools for the shops. It might sound like a good idea, but will never take place. Learn what you need to pass in school but don't take it as fact. Well 30 or so yrs later, it hasn't. He was smarter than I thought. Now that I'm a player in a major fortune 500 co. I see our products going over seas at a rapid pace. I do everything I can to stop this. Even the little things count. I still do design work sometimes and NEVER put on metric measurements. If they want them on my prints, it has to come back as an ECR (Engineering Change Req) that adds cost to the part. That in fact adds lead time to that part, that adds time and cost to that project. That will in fact, HELP me show the bottom line is affected by having our parts made out of our country. I figure if we can all do just a little of this at every turn, we just might get some of OUR work back to the states. Just my 2 cents. O, and by the way. My company like many others have a lobbyist that helps pass laws in their favor. The laws that let them get people from terrorist supported countries into my work place on visa's (visas-can't spell) for half pay and take jobs from American's. So I don't feel bad at all doing my little part to screw them.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by yellowFatboy200

Don't mean to sound rude but, Just what has that little'ol speech got to do with trying to fabricate a tool to save money when working on your brakes? :confused:

·
Registered
688 Posts
It's getting to be election time, I think YellowFatboy200 is just trying out his own makeshift soapbox. I for one would vote for him. Just think, a Harley making it's mark in the oval office!! Unfortunately, presidential elections are a couple of years away.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Speaking of Harleys in the White House, there was an article in Men's Journal recently about senator John Kerry (D-Ma) who is considered the #2 contender for the Democratic nomination behind Al Gore. He just bought an '02 Wide Glide. I'd like to know what our Massachusetts guys think of him

Dean

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
harleyhog said:

Don't mean to sound rude but, Just what has that little'ol speech got to do with trying to fabricate a tool to save money when working on your brakes? :confused:
Holly SHITT! did I write that. See what drinking can do to ya. Sorry for going off the topic, 1 to many that night. That reminds me of a story. LOL:D

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Harley Hog, That looks like a good plan, I make alot of speciality tools if I can avoid buying them. Thanks for the Idea!!!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hmm HH, looks very similar to a "tool" that my High School stoner buddies built in auto shop . ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts