V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
vindex1963 said:
I'm buying as shotgun on the way home. It's a Mossberg with a 29" and a 18" interchangeable barrel. What is a good home defence round/load for it? I have pistols now for home defence but would feel better with a 12 gage pump next to my bed.
I have the same shot gun stick with the rifle stock and the 18" barrel I have O O buck in mine

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
up close

like less than 20 feet even light birdshot will work. Shoot some #4 at an old door from less than 20 feet and see what you think.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
mtairy biker said:
I have the same shot gun stick with the rifle stock and the 18" barrel I have O O buck in mine
00 buck will tear someone apart, why in the world would you be loading that?

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i agree with da both of ya. i load #4, 00, #4, 00, until full. if there are more bad guys behind or beside the leader, chances are the #4 will make em cry till you can hook em with the buckshot. also, if they are in the yard, the buckshot, duckshot combination will have em flopping and yellin up to around 80 yards.

then you can get in some pistol practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
vindex1963 said:
I'm buying as shotgun on the way home. It's a Mossberg with a 29" and a 18" interchangeable barrel. What is a good home defence round/load for it? I have pistols now for home defence but would feel better with a 12 gage pump next to my bed.
FWIW, I have a Mossberg 500 Cruiser 18.5" with pistol grip. Since I live in an apartment, I chose #6 shot for good short distance stopping. Don't want to hurt anyone in the next unit!

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,015 Posts
Ist one out is 00 buck. Next out is 1 oz. rifled slug. I wanna cut the sonofabitch in half. No one comes in my house and will get away.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Forget any of the birdshot. If the guy has even somewhat heavy clothing on, birdshot may just piss him off and then he shoots and kills you and your family!

If a guy is in my house and the situation is serious enough where I have to fire a shotgun in defense of my life or my families, then I'm looking to totally incapacitate the guy and that calls for OOBuck.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I should buy both 00 buck and either #4 or #6. The entrance to the hallway leading to my bedroom is about 10-12 feet away from my bedroom door and then another 6-8 feet to the end of the hallway on the other side of the entrance. Shooting straight down the hallway shouldn't effect anyone sleeping in either side. Hopefully with smaller shot it will glance off the drywall.
#4 or #6 and then 00 buck loaded that way might be good. This is my first experience with a shotgun for home defence. I've been around guns for years and have depended on my .40 caliber pistol for protection.
Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,015 Posts
10-12 feet, you're just fine. By the time the buckshot hits the target, there won't be much of a spread to talk about.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
njyamahauler said:
Forget any of the birdshot. If the guy has even somewhat heavy clothing on, birdshot may just piss him off and then he shoots and kills you and your family
I hear you. First of all, not too many people wear heavy clothing in southern Arizona. I used 12 gauge shotgun in my line of work. (Remington 870 + #4 shot) I have witnessed the damage done on a person at short distance with #4 shot. I chose #6 for in home defense....of course YMMV!

In situations that I witnessed, just the familiar sound of a 12 gauge action being racked will get anyone's attention and make them leave the scene.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
ebiker said:
I hear you. First of all, not too many people wear heavy clothing in southern Arizona. I used 12 gauge shotgun in my line of work. (Remington 870 + #4 shot) I have witnessed the damage done on a person at short distance with #4 shot. I chose #6 for in home defense....of course YMMV!

In situations that I witnessed, just the familiar sound of a 12 gauge action being racked will get anyone's attention and make them leave the scene.
leave? that aint happening around here. the guy wanted in--------he aint leaving!

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ebiker said:
That is exactly what I want to have happen.

I ended up buying #4 41 pellets in 3" magnum and "00" 9 pellets in 2 3/4. The first will be the #4 followed by 4 rounds of "00" 5 if I chamber a round.

The shotgun is a Mossberg 500 with the 2 barrels I listed. $229 in sale. I think that's a pretty good price.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Load some rock salt into it.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
No#4 bird short, anything heavier will go through multiple inside walls.

I rifled slug can go through multiple houses, fine for deer hunting, bad for in a house.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Rock salt is quite effective , burns like hell and causes sufficient impact. My dad taught me that growing up on a farm. I can tell you from experience it works well for intruders.

Easy to defend in court too

you can always use a heavier load for the 2nd shot if needed.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts