V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time in the saddle of an '08 tour bike was today. Also, to be clear, I think the extended mileage of a six gallon tank excuses the girth of this girls ass (tank). But I do have to say..that I was amazed at how much less compact, how much wider the legs splay and how much tighter the knees must rub on the '08 tank related to the five gallon tank. Just not comfortable in my opinion..maybe it just takes some getting used to?

JMO

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Most touring bikes have 6 gallons or more.

·
Registered
822 Posts
ChromeWelder said:
First time in the saddle of an '08 tour bike was today. Also, to be clear, I think the extended mileage of a six gallon tank excuses the girth of this girls ass (tank). But I do have to say..that I was amazed at how much less compact, how much wider the legs splay and how much tighter the knees must rub on the '08 tank related to the five gallon tank. Just not comfortable in my opinion..maybe it just takes some getting used to?

JMO

I rode an 08 Ultra at Rapid City during Sturgis. To be honest, I didn't really notice a difference in comfort when comparing to previous Ultra models. I do agree it looks a little bulbous, but I'll take that with the increased fuel capacity.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Most touring bikes, look lke touring bike. HD worries mroe about cosmetics, but you got to cater to your customer.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
But it should make your ass look slimmer.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I have an '08 Ultra Classic. Previous bike was an '05 Softail Springer Classic.

I notice no difference in the tanks, when riding. I do notice a slight cosmetic change, but otherwise, no difference.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I thought it looked wider, salesman at a dealership I went to said it was the same width as before. he said it was taller and the tunnel had been changed to create the extra volume.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an 08 RG. Had an 06 EG. Although the tank looks larger (and it is) it does not feel larger when I ride the 08 compared to the 06.
I must say I don't miss the gap between the tank and seat the 06 has.
To each his own,
08 Road Glide, lovin life,
Doug

·
Registered
428 Posts
The new tank is a little taller, stretched a little longer, and has a revised tunnel. I don't really notice a difference in width, as much as the feeling I am sitting further forward. Over all, there seems little difference between my '04 and '08, except better mileage + bigger tank = 270 miles vs 200 miles between fillups.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Highmiles said:
, except better mileage + bigger tank = 270 miles vs 200 miles between fillups.
what kind of mileage are you getting? I would love to be able to go 270 between fill ups. I have only hit 200 on my '06 1 time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ChromeWelder said:
But I do have to say..that I was amazed at how much less compact, how much wider the legs splay and how much tighter the knees must rub on the '08 tank related to the five gallon tank. Just not comfortable in my opinion..maybe it just takes some getting used to?

JMO

I test drove/rented one and had the same experience. I am on the fence about buying:unsure: To be fair, I have never owned a Ultra or similar platform.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Went from a 07 Ultra to a 08 and barely noticed the difference. No change in seating position to me. Filling the tank up to the gills takes more time compared to the 07, but that's about it IMHO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts