V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got a new tire put on recently, the shop guy noticed a hole in my drive belt, caused by a rock. He called the Harley shop and was told that this is fairly common and if the hole is in the center of the belt (it is), it is not a problem and not to worry about it. He said if it were on the edge, it could be a problem. I rode it back from vacation and it is still going. Anyone else had any experience with this sort of thing?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That's the party line.

If you travel with the bike as opposed to riding in the neighborhood I would probably replace it. They are very strong and most of the time they might be OK, but to me it isn't worth the potential incovenience.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have several holes in the centre of my drive belt , none that extend to past 1/3 of the way to the edge of the belt , the holes ( caused by rocks ) have been in the belt for 20000km and have not altered in that mileage , I considered changing the belt for a trip that I'm about to do (9000km) however reasoning that if I did replace the belt , there is nothing to stop picking up a rock on the first day of my travel and then I'm in the same situation as I was in before changing the belt .
It could last forever or break tomorrow , IMHO if the belt alignment is good and the tension set as specified then there should be no problem !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you xrystl. I am going to leave it alone but will check it more often. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
684 Posts
So, if it ain't broke . . . don't fix it? :confused: I would at least replace it at the earliest convenience. Why take a chance?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Personally, I don't take chances with belts, brakes, or tires.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
A dealer once showed me his belt with a hole and he never changed it. And he put some miles on it too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts