V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my winter issue of Hog Tales and I continue to wonder just what is going on in some PC minds at HD and in our country. First they are promoting a H.O.G. Rally in the Middle East ( like I just can't wait to go to that one, maybe try out my new glock) then they have some cowbody describe his misguided tour through mostly countries alien to Americans , freedom and the free lifestyle living we enjoy. The quote that really got me was about Iran being only 3000K from Europe and home to such beautiful countrysides for riding he couldn't understand why peple were not flocking down there with their HDs

I take great offense to this crap , Are there not enough interesting places here in America that the Motor Company can't devote to instead of the countries that I would only prefer to see through the bombbay doors of a B52. I guess 9/11 is all but forgotten by a large number of our people.
What do you people think? Anybody want to go riding in Iran? or Indonesia or Malaysia, Pakistan or maybe Afghanistan!

Makes you kinds wonder, don't it?

Signed PC Uncorrect and DAMN proud of it
P.S. I trashed the issue the same day I got it

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's the same thing I thought when reading the magazine. The LAST place I want to ride a motorcycle right now is the Middle East. I guess they're trying to appeal to their international readers.:confused:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I do agree and wish they would spend more pages on USA Travels and Rally's. Canadian rides are great too. These articles have more of an impact than one on the BFE HOG chapter.

If you want a good read on an around the world bike trip, get
THE INVESTMENT BIKER .
Frank

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Don't get hog tales so have no idea what the artical says. As someone who has lived and ridden all across Europe, and all highways west of the Mississippi River, for me it's about expanding my horizon, seeing the world, and meeting interesting people, nothing about pc. I've driven in the Mid East and there is some beautiful scenery, and believe it or not, some nice and interesting people. They aren't all terrorists,same as all Spanierds aren't Toro's. I wouldn't want to ride a mc there because of how they drive. The more of the world I see, the more I appreciate my little corner of the world.

·
: Þ
341 Posts
Ugh, I thought the same thing. Why the Heck would I even consider riding there. I really have no desire to step foot on their continent.

It dont get me as mad as the new commercials on TV insinuating that because I drive a SUV ( I got 3 young kids), I use way to much gas and therefore I am a supporter of terrorism. This just makes my blood boil.

Argh, I need a drink........................

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree, who even if they wanted to has the money to ride in Iran? I want to know where I can ride next weekend...

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....gotta agree with 95 FXST, not necessarily with the timing of the article. HOG is international, so its only natural that the magazine will feature rides from other countries. Don't blow a gasket over nothing, its just a read................

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah It's just an artical / read , but I have never been infatuated with our friendly ,phoney cousins across the creek. Especially these days, I know there are some people who disagree strongly and all I can say to that is TFB
YOU GOT TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING. is more than the words to a song, I'll spend my dollars here in the good old USA , support our people who provide everything for us and thank God everyday that I am lucky enough to live here.
If anybody wants to ride to the forementioned countries be my guest, just watch out for the boogeymen (Joke)
HD is trying to sell bikes worldwide, sure they are, but I think their timing on their articles is P poor. But who cares? Right? Some of us DO!

Think I'll replace this gasket.

Nope been working OT big time this week, hopefully next weekend supposed to be 70 here in Las Vegas.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
At least you got your issue

I have yet to get my issue of Hog Tales or any thing else from HOG except my welcome aboard package the first week of November.

Harley is world wide. I have been in Harley dealerships in Spain and in The UAE, wich is right next to Iran, Iraq and Saudi. I would love the opertunity to ride in the UAE or Oman. It is really a beautiful area to ride. I have done mountain bikeing in the green mountains of Oman and in the UAE.

I did not go over there four times by choice, it was cause the USN sent me. I just made the best of it. I also met some really nice people over there. Dubi, in the UAE is a very nice place.

No country I saw in my 20 years of military service can begine to compair to the good old USA. Most people have no clue how good we have it here!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
You guy's are missing the point. The whole middle east will soon be a giant parking lot that will become the new staging area for "Rolling Thunder" as we don't have enough room in the Pentagon parking lot any more.

That's what this war is going to be about with Iraq, Parking lot space for next years "Rolling Thunder" :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
There is a reason there are no time shares in the middle east. :eek:

Been there fu(k that! They can keep that $hithole all to themselves.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
kawika904 said:
It don't get me as mad as the new commercials on TV insinuating that because I drive a SUV (I got 3 young kids), I use way to much gas and therefore I am a supporter of terrorism. This just makes my blood boil.
If you really get down to it, any vehicle that uses gas is supporting terrorism because that's where majority of our oil comes from.

If they are so concerned about it, why haven't we made great strides in alternative fuels or more fuel efficient engines? Why is it we can have a tractor and trailer running down road hauling 80,000+ lbs. getting 6 -7 MPG on diesel and we can't come up with a more fuel efficient engine to haul a car weighing 6,000 lbs. that won't get better than 25 MPG?

Can you imagine what would happen to world economy if we developed a better engine or started using alternate fuels? Most of these countries we get our fuel from would be bankrupt in no time because that's all they have to export.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
highrider said:

YOU GOT TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING. is more than the words to a song,

**What are you standing for? Should we abandon the 2nd? Cancel your subscrip if its that bad. There is no stand here, just a bit(h session.

I'll spend my dollars here in the good old USA , support our people who provide everything for us and thank God everyday that I am lucky enough to live here.

So do I and spent more than 22 years assisting with its longevity....what does this have to do with riding or reading about riding in other countries?

If anybody wants to ride to the forementioned countries be my guest, just watch out for the boogeymen (Joke)

Well I am glad you said this is a joke!

HD is trying to sell bikes worldwide, sure they are, but I think their timing on their articles is P poor. But who cares? Right? Some of us DO!

You care about what, timing of the article or where they sale the bikes? If its the former, like mine that's your opinion, if its the latter, how much stock you own, 51%??

Think I'll replace this gasket. Nope been working OT big time this week, hopefully next weekend supposed to be 70 here in Las Vegas.

Great, release some of that frustration............ :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well now that the dander has been fluffed I think I'll return to my orginal point, which is I'm more interested in riding here and want to hear more about what happens here than over there. Don't know about some but I don't enjoy the PC that is constantly pushed as what's cool. If you think HD's bread and butter is anywhere than the USA guess again.

Now in light of the world we live in and how Americans are viewed in countries like Iran (remember the hostages?) I FAIL to see to whom or why the article is aimed. Utopia would be wonderful if possible but I don't see it there. I guess there are dreamers that to travel the world on a motorcycle is a must, I'm just not one of em.
You fellows (hogg831)who have done your duty, thats great and you are to be commended and saluted for a job well done, but considereing what is going on in the Middle East, just what is your point? With all the neat places to see and enjoy here (where we live) I really am amazed that there would be much interest in going to places that are alien to our way of life, which is freedom (which they don't have due to politics, religion and culture) and second if there is interest such as you have, I don't see a majority of people joining in, BUT I could be WRONG.

I would prefer (selfishly, sorry to the rest of the world) that the contents of Hog Tales contain more information on touring and events here. There is a lot that could be covered which is not, even the "Enthusiast" is now a carbon copy of HT

Unsubscribe? Hell I like the little patch ya get every year , It's the only reason I belong.

Ya know it was Ping Pong players who opened up China for Nixon. Maybe if , nah!!

Time for this thread to end.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
highrider said:
Unsubscribe? Hell I like the little patch ya get every year , It's the only reason I belong.

Time for this thread to end.
:D at least we meet on these two points:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it not great to be able to write and say what we feel and not be persecuted for it,(GOD I Love this Country) except among our peers in fun.
Ride Safe and Check your Six

·
Registered
659 Posts
I may not ever ride in Europe or the Far East, but I did live there for a number of years, and came away with many great memories, experiences and friends.
After reading the article, what I got out of it was not so much where this guy rode, but how he did it. In true Harley spirit, he just started riding, with no particular agenda in mind - and with no great plan each day regarding where he was going to be or sleep. Perhaps that was the spirit the editor was trying to inspire in everybody???
It inspired me to start thinking about where we're going to ride next season, and how, and we have been inspired to go on an extended trip to the States, and not work out any details ahead of time, with the exception of where all the dealers are.
As for the dude that's doing the writing - I believe he ended by saying he plans to end his ride in the US - at the 100th - I look at that as being a pretty big statement from him regarding what's important - not too many people on this forum have taken the time to enjoy their rides like he has ...
My 2 cents

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I don't object to the articles about overseas rides, HOG Chapters etc but I do think too much magazine space is taken up with them and more should be devoted to riding in the U.S. I realize some people would like to ride overseas and that is why I do not object to some articles on overseas riding but the fact is there are more miles of roads and people, places and things to see here than any of us will ever have time to see and do. With the exception of military service probably 98% ( just my estimate, not an actual statistic ) will never leave these shores. I don't know if it will do any good or not but perhaps we should be writing to the editors of Hog Tales instead of ranting about it in here. My two cents for what it is worth.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts