V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for opinions on HOG's roadside assistance coverage. For only 19.95, or something like that, they provide towing, battery charging, fuel, etc. I currently have Progressive Insurance and my coverage includes Roadside Assistance. What they offer sounds just like what HOG offers. I'm interested to know if anyone has had dealings with either of these and what the pro's and con's are for either. If I have one, do I need the other? Which is better?:confused: :confused:

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Do a search on "roadside assistance", its been discussed extensively..........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your suggestion was a good one, however, after doing a search and reading through the messages, I really didn't find what I was looking for. I found a lot of comments on types of insurance and prices, and opinions on the pro's and con's of joining a HOG group. I'm a HOG member and I have Progressive Insurance. I was just wondering if I should get the roadside assistance insurance from HOG in addition to the coverage provided by Progressive. I guess I was hoping to find someone that had first hand dealings with both and would provide me a comparison of the two. If that's already been discussed please help me locate the thread.
Thanks.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
.....well unless a new member post up, I think that's as close as it gets...stick around though, topics have a habit of doing re-runs......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like the comfort level of having the HOG insurance when traveling is worth the cost, even if I don't need it.
As I learn how to navigate through this site I'm sure there's a wealth of info I'll benefit from. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just an FYI...

With the turn of the year, H.O.G. National's Roadside Assistance benefit program is changing. All National H.O.G. members will be covered under Road America's Roadside Assistance for no additional charge. The catch is that you are only covered once a year with a max tow/repair/gas bill of $100. Anything beyond that is covered by you. They will still have the $19.95/yr option as well as the $29.95/yr option. The first option offers unlimited coverage for the year. The second option also includes coverage for Hotel rooms, etc while stranded waiting for the bike to be fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have never used the HOG roadside assistance but the progressive version sucks. I've only had to call them once and they left me standing on the side of the road for four hours before finally telling me they couldn't find a tow company that would take my bike the TWO miles to my house. All this at 4:30 in the morning.

Needless to say, I think I'm looking into alternatives. Maybe I'll give the HOG plan a shot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HOG Roadside Assistance

bigloo said:
just an FYI...

With the turn of the year, H.O.G. National's Roadside Assistance benefit program is changing. All National H.O.G. members will be covered under Road America's Roadside Assistance for no additional charge. .....

I'm a beginner at forum sites so I hope I did this right. This reply is
to badman02. Bigloo was right on the money. I just received my Jan/Feb issue of Hog Tales and it's stated in there just as he said. So as a HOG member you already have an option on roadside assistance. It would be an interesting test to be in need of assistance and call HOG & Progressive and see what response you got. That would a true comparison!
Thanks for the reply regarding Progressive.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I have never used either one but I would suspect who gives the best service would depend as much on where you break down as on who was providing the coverage. I know it works that way with insurance. That is why some people love one insurance company while someone in another region of the country might have had bad experience with the same company. If you break down in a populated area where there are plenty towing services either HOG or Progressive may work well. If however you are in a rural area and especialy in early morning hours you may have difficulty with either one or it just may be that HOG is better represented in some regions of the country where Progressive is better represented elsewhere in the country.

·
Registered
201 Posts
As a side note..if you live in California, you can only get the $19.95 coverage for whatever reason I can't figure out....Guess Grey Davis is gunna help me if my bike is ever down and I'm stranded?? Bahahahha

T-Bone

·
Registered
16 Posts
The first thing you should do is find a reputable insurance company. Roadside assistance is useless if your bike is damaged or stolen when you have insurance through Progressive. They rarely, if ever pay out claims. After an accident last March, a friend of mine is still waiting for Progressive to pay his claim. The accident wasn't his fault and Progressive just "needs more time to investigate." It seems the only thing they "progress" toward is your wallet.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
I gotta agree with Thequidg on this. While I don't have Progressive, I have heard many simialr complaints about their unwillingness or unresponsiveness to pay out on claims.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have Progressive, and have used roadside assistance twice. Never had a problem, flatbed transportation to my house was there within 45 minutes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
rod side ins.

I checked around in ND and found I saved money and am covered for three vehicle drivers, my RV and my motorcycle & cargo trailer by going to AAA. Do some checking I think it is worth the work. Also check to see what the distance requirrements are BIRD

·
Out Riding
70 Posts
Re: rod side ins.

jbirdt2001 said:
I checked around in ND and found I saved money and am covered for three vehicle drivers, my RV and my motorcycle & cargo trailer by going to AAA. Do some checking I think it is worth the work. Also check to see what the distance requirrements are BIRD
I've had AAA for many years, and while I've never had to use it while riding, I have used it it many times while on 4 wheels.
You need AAA plus to cover a bike, and that means 100 miles free towing, no matter if your driving your car or cruising on your bike.
It cost my wife and I just under 120 bucks a year for AAA plus and we are covered, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
A couple of years ago I think they changed the policy to only cover 4 incidents a year, to weed out people abusing the program.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: rod side ins.

jbirdt2001 said:
I never heard about the 4 incedents a year but my rv and motorcycle are a add on rider type of thing. 112 per year and all are covered. My wife my daughter and me plus the camper and the motorcycle. If i never use it it is still cheaper then a membership to HOG and thier road side program which only covers the bike.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had Progressive thru 2 wrecks 2 yrs back- their service was outstanding, around here Dairyland is the company to avoid- It may just depend on who is on staff in your location- having a car person do bikes is very much a PITA. A bike guy did mine (he primarily does bikes first cars second)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts