V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had one and now I do not.
It did not do much for me.
As for the 10% dealer discount, the first time I asked I was told that Reno HD does not honor the discount so i put several hundred dollars worth of merchandise back on the shelf and walked.
It is a MOCO program after all and I don't need any more photos of a bunch of fat guys like me leathered up for a little day ride.
Get out and ride with your buddies and fogeddaboutit1

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I have to agree, unless one is addicted to the HOG pins I suppose. Most insurance companies provide optional towing coverage so that HOG benefit is easily replaceable as well. And, I have yet to find anything interesting in the magazine. My membership is coming due the end of March and I won't be renewing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have been a member since 1999. I will not be renewing in 2006. like you guys I don't think its worth it. As far a the pins every rally sturgis,daytona,myrtle.vendors have those little pins to commerate the ride or trailer to the event. and for the price of a hog membership you can buy alot of those little pins.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Same here... tried the discounted cycle insurance from HOG...turned out to be close to double what I was paying... plus I'd PAY $40.00 NOT to hear those guys talk at the meetings. Also have the 200 or 300 mile tow with AAA. I'll save my $$ next time around.

·
03FLHRI,84XLH,52ArielVHA
556 Posts
HOG has its place but one must always remember that it is a corporate entity run by the Motor Company and its agents the local dealers. There are plenty of independent options out there if you want to find a riding group unaffiliated with factory management. Check out AMA clubs, ABATE and so forth and ride with people who are free of corporate control or just ride independently and join the activities that clubs put on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I suppose I can understand why some people might want to joing the HOGs (or ABATE, or whatever) - they provide a nexus point for people with a passion for motorcycling.

Personally, I'm more of a solitary rider, myself (unless you count my dog Maximus, who rides with me)... so the whole HOG thing is somewhat lost on me.

I considered joining the HOGs just so I could take advantage of their "fly and ride" program for discounts on rentals - I travel a LOT, and this seemed like a good idea. However, when I called around to dealerships in several cities and asked their rental rates, I found little financial benefit to being a member.

Harley makes a point of touting the "exclusivity" of being a HOG, via comments like "not everybody can join", "meet the brothers and sisters you've always wanted", etc. etc. Personally, I find nothing wrong with this: it's Good Marketing 101. They're certainly not hurting me any.

But they're not getting my hard-earned money, either. :nope: I grew up as the second oldest in a family of 8 children - I have all the brothers and sisters I can take. More, in fact.

Meantime, I'll wave at a HOG member (or group) just the same as I'd wave at another Solitary Man like myself. Have fun out there - that's what it's all about!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The towing part of it is a real joke!! A friend was going to Rolling Thunder in D.C. When his bike broke down on Sunday morning. He called around and then finally called HOG as he remembered he had that as a benifit. They told him someone would come and pick his bike up on TUESDAY!!! He asked if he was just supposed to leave the bike by the side of the road and he got the response that it was the BEST they could do!! 50 bucks a year for a magazine kinda seems like a rip off to me..Oooohhhh..sorry forgot about the .50 cent pins they give ya!

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
griz104 said:
The towing part of it is a real joke!! A friend was going to Rolling Thunder in D.C. When his bike broke down on Sunday morning. He called around and then finally called HOG as he remembered he had that as a benifit. They told him someone would come and pick his bike up on TUESDAY!!! He asked if he was just supposed to leave the bike by the side of the road and he got the response that it was the BEST they could do!! 50 bucks a year for a magazine kinda seems like a rip off to me..Oooohhhh..sorry forgot about the .50 cent pins they give ya!
@gree: Had similar experience(and wrote about it in here) when I had wreck last year.

1 o'clock in the morning on way from work and WHAM!!! - damn hit-n-run driver. No lights on bike and HOG wanted $100 cash up front to wrecker for me to get towed. Where I was....I wasn't about to go to ATM and let the crackheads see me withdraw money. Got wife to follow me home with bright lights on(luckily, most of way had street lights). HOG called me after I made it home and said they could have someone out there in 3 - 4 hours(yeah, once it got freaking daylight and people didn't have to worry about getting jacked). Told them that in 3 - 4 hours I could push the damn bike home and I had made it home already.

Their response: "Do you want to cancel the service call?" :stupid:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep.. and then they call it a family!! Heck i have ones in my own family like that..why do i need to send some Fat Motor company 50 bucks a year to act like them!!

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
I met a couple of HOG folks at a local Duncan, they seemed very pleasant folks. Ran into them a few times now.

I am actually considering looking into joining.

Seems like a bunch of people with similar machines and interests, that get together for rides.

I am not looking to get something out of it other than just that. Any active HoG folks here who can shed some insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well popeye I have seen a lot of people rip joining hog but I have had fun.Me and the ol joined our chapter over a year ago.I work a lot of hours and do not have the time to dedicate to other bike clubs.The folks I have met have been generally nice.Most are professionals and family people.They organize rides at least twice a month as well as other social events.They support various charities with rides and fundraiser type stuff.I personally know a ton of people who ride and they go generally nowhere so we joined the chapter because we got tired of going to the same places all the time.They even organize some overnite and weekend rides.At myrtle beach among all the other group stuff we are doing a ride with another chapter than go out afterwords.It seems kind of funny to me that people who will ride nothing else but harley have so much hostility to hog.A lot of time the money for dues comes up but if you think about it we have no prob dropping a few grand on engine work and I spend more money everytime i go out to eat. I mean if youve got somthing else you are into thats cool but I wonder where the anger comes from.Any way thats my experience now everyone can go back to ripping on hog.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been a member for 9 years. I am senior road captain of our chapter. I've seen po'd people come and go. Most of us that stick just want to ride and have fun. And when we ride as a chapter, do it as safely as we can. We try to help educate the new group riders as to our expectations. We support a local charity. I've made some of the best friends I've ever had. We are'nt all rich. We all like riding our Harleys. When going to HOG ralleys hundreds of miles away we don't ride as a group, but hook up and have fun on the road. I carry HOG roadside assistance, AAA plus, and have towing through my insurance- and have had to wait 4 hours for help. Sometimes I take off alone and ride by myself. I don't view myself as a corporate shill. So take what you want and leave the rest. You get what you put into it, kinda like life.

·
Registered
129 Posts
P 0 P E Y E said:
I met a couple of HOG folks at a local Duncan, they seemed very pleasant folks. Ran into them a few times now.

I am actually considering looking into joining.

Seems like a bunch of people with similar machines and interests, that get together for rides.

I am not looking to get something out of it other than just that. Any active HoG folks here who can shed some insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I am in my second year of HOG membership and I also got the roadside assistance add on benefit for $19.95/yr. I get 10-20% discount on parts & service at my dealer which each year actually rebates me more back than the membership costs so it's a no-brainer if that's all I use it for. I have spoken to people who have used the roadside assistance and they got a 48 mile tow to a Harley dealership on a flatbed which saved their $20k bike from damage. That was enough for me to hear. I have not joined a chapter yet since there are about 6 of them in my area. But, I'll take my time to get to know people first then probably pick one and join. I don't really see any negatives here and will keep my membership active as long as I ride HD.;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You pretty much get out what you put in as far as the "club" and social side of HOG.

I have the extended RA and have used it upon occasion and did not have any issues.

I have met some good people and some not so good people thru the local and National HOG events. Like anything else in life.

No I was not looking for a family when I bought my Harley. I have 7 brothers and sisters and that is enough for me. But none of them ride. :)

I have tried to return to the local chapter some of the good I received from it by volunteering to be a Road Captain and the Chapter Webmaster/Historian.

Your local chapter experience will vary from chapter to chapter. If you don't fit one nothing says you need to stay with it, move to another.

Yes, HOG was developed as a marketing idea by the MOCO to get us to buy more chrome, accessories, and motor clothes. But no one will force you to buy. Just say no! I get a discount at the sponsoring dealer, but since the first of the year I haven't bought squat.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
AK_Hog_Herder said:
Just say no! I get a discount at the sponsoring dealer, but since the first of the year I haven't bought squat.
Whoa Dude!

You must have missed it,,,, they have a new "Chromed Squat" ® out now with either the "HD Bar & Shield" © or the "Live to Ride" © logo on it.:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jams said:
Whoa Dude!

You must have missed it,,,, they have a new "Chromed Squat" ® out now with either the "HD Bar & Shield" © or the "Live to Ride" © logo on it.:cool:
I have seen a few bikes that have the Chromed Squat add on and it ain't pretty.:dry:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Popeye;
I have been a local HOG member for a little over a year. I went to a sponsored ride and met some of these folks and that decided it for me. We had 700 members on DEC 31st. So out of that you have about 150 hardcore members that go on most of the rides. If you become friends with 4-6 of those then life is good. We meet up and ride our own rides. And like each others company during chapter events. You get out of it what you want. You put into it what you want. Close your ears to the corporate and political BS and just enjoy the comeraderie!!!!! Good Luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
P 0 P E Y E said:
.... Any active HoG folks here who can shed some insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
i've been in our chapter for a few years now. i'm a road captain, asst. photographer and the webmaster. we have a very active chapter and we ride alot. of course, we ride year round in florida. i've met alot of great people in our activities. our meetings are not boring at all.

as for the 10% discount....i just dropped 20k on a new bike...keep the 10 bucks. plus, if someone is really looking to save money. check out http://www.chicagoharley.com/. you can get 20% year round. sometimes free shipping is offered.

most chapters will let you attend a meeting if you're considering to join. give them a chance before you turn and walk away.

feel free to check out our website. you can see the rides we take in our photo albums and see the activities in our event calendar!

http://www.pensacolahog.com

thanks,
paul pearson

1 - 20 of 33 Posts