V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am I the only one who is disappointed with my HOG membership? I joined last year thinking the Road Atlas and the Hog Tales magazine would make it worth it. Sorry. The atlas is a joke and Hog Tales is just one giant (tiny really) advertisement for itself. The Jan/Feb issue has 38 pages of which 23 are advertising for HOG rallies. For some reason I expected a magazine about touring. Boy was I wrong.

Yeah I know, towing is paid for if you break down along the road. I'll put the 40 plus buck a year in the bank and pay out of my own pocket if I break down. It is good for only one tow per year so you are on your own after that anyway unless you fork over more money for premium coverage. Anyway, count me out next time. BTW, the road atlas makes a great coaster for my coffee cup.

·
Another Great Day to Ride
963 Posts
I'm kind of indifferent.

I like the local HOG chapter, although my membership there has lapsed. They are a pretty good bunch of people and always have great rides. I've kept my national HOG membership simply because the local stealer gives 10% off to HOG members (local or not) which is better than nothing especially for the little things and those impulse buys. The other thing I like is being able to collect HOG pins at their "pin stops" that they have at various events.

I've also already used their towing service once. Which is great if you are in SoCal. The response time was less than a half an hour. The tow would have cost me out of pocket a little under $100.

I do wonder why they felt compelled to raise the price of membership this year though. Did the cost of making pins and patches go up? I'm sure they are made in China like just about everything else, so maybe it's the price of making the magazine or something.... who knows... But, I'll keep my membership simply because they haven't pissed me off yet...

E :cool:

·
Registered
769 Posts
ernster500 said:
I'm kind of indifferent.

I like the local HOG chapter, although my membership there has lapsed. They are a pretty good bunch of people and always have great rides. I've kept my national HOG membership simply because the local stealer gives 10% off to HOG members (local or not) which is better than nothing especially for the little things and those impulse buys. The other thing I like is being able to collect HOG pins at their "pin stops" that they have at various events.

I've also already used their towing service once. Which is great if you are in SoCal. The response time was less than a half an hour. The tow would have cost me out of pocket a little under $100.

I do wonder why they felt compelled to raise the price of membership this year though. Did the cost of making pins and patches go up? I'm sure they are made in China like just about everything else, so maybe it's the price of making the magazine or something.... who knows... But, I'll keep my membership simply because they haven't pissed me off yet...

E :cool:

i would guess its because the cost of postage went up ....harley davidson spends alot of money on direct mailing to members... rat

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
The only advantage I've seen to HOG is the parts discount my local dealer gives. :clap: I also noticed though that the free towing is a once a year deal. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you join HOG for a 10% discount at the dealer's, then you're losing money, because you can get 20% off, with no tax for out of state customers, and very little shipping charges, at several Harley dealers, including Chicago Harley Davidson, Benjy's in West Virginia, Hale's in Ohio, Crystal River in Florida, and several others.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
I don't like stewed tomato, but for some reason haven't been compelled to bit(h about it here.

Sometimes its doesn't hurt just to move on, organizations are created for those interested. Those that are not, does not change that fact.

Who's got the cheese?!?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
But it is a Harley forum, for discussions about Harley topics, and HOG is a Harley topic. Everybody isn't going to agree on any topic. Somebody considering joining a riding club might even appreciate the discussions about HOG.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Subzero said:
But it is a Harley forum, for discussions about Harley topics, and HOG is a Harley topic. Everybody isn't going to agree on any topic. Somebody considering joining a riding club might even appreciate the discussions about HOG.

I Agree. Very underwhelmed by HOG, although the Road Atlas makes for great toilet reading.

·
Rider
848 Posts
It's not a road atlas. It's a Touring Guide. Have a little pride. :D

I got two. Bought a bike on October, they signed me up with Hogg. Got an atlas. Then about a week ago I get a letter thanking me for my 2006 renewal with another atlas. Print is too damned small for me to see so I gave one to each kid.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Subzero said:

Then you missed my point......

There are several threads praising and bit(hing about HOG. The same whine over and over by each new member is ridiculous. Its not about agreeing or disagreeing.

We ask over and over that the search function be used before asking about "what oil should I use?". BTW, to search oil, you must enter oil*.

If you want to declare your disdain for HOG, try searching "hog*" and join in on one of the threads already started.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
To each his own... I'm a member and it works for me. I have made quite a few friends thru the local chapter.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I like the local HOG chapter and membershhip in the national organization is a prerequisite. I didn't have the touring guide with me when I was out on the road and broke down. I had to call home and ask my wife to look up the nearest dealer so I could tell the tow truck driver where to take me. The touring guide is in my saddlebag in a plastic wrapper now. I'm going to pay the extra $20 this year for unlimited towing coverage.

I understand others don't care to affiliate with a local HOG chapter and can get towing service through their insurance company or AAA. Better maps are easy to purchase as well. Like everything else about the Harley world, it's a personal choice. Bagger, Dyna, Softail, Sportster, V-Rod, Buell - there are lots of choices for everyone.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
FXD-Tim said:
I like the local HOG chapter and membershhip in the national organization is a prerequisite. I didn't have the touring guide with me when I was out on the road and broke down. I had to call home and ask my wife to look up the nearest dealer so I could tell the tow truck driver where to take me. The touring guide is in my saddlebag in a plastic wrapper now. I'm going to pay the extra $20 this year for unlimited towing coverage.

I understand others don't care to affiliate with a local HOG chapter and can get towing service through their insurance company or AAA. Better maps are easy to purchase as well. Like everything else about the Harley world, it's a personal choice. Bagger, Dyna, Softail, Sportster, V-Rod, Buell - there are lots of choices for everyone.
Well said. I think the saying "you get out of it what you put into it" applies to HOG or any car club or motorcycle club for that matter. If all you want is a road atlas or towing service or parts discount you completely miss the purpose of HOG, in my opinion. I think the organization works for those that get involved in it. For those just sending in dues and not doing anything else to participate except ask what has it done for them lately they are the ones missing out. It's all about the people and sharing some experiences (socializing) with the people while riding, that's what HOG is to me.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Shoudn't this thread be moved to the H.O.G. forum where it belongs?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I too am not overly thrilled with HOG. I don't think I am going to renew. The people at the local chapter are very clicky you may belong to our club but you don't belong to our little circle. At the meetings they have 50/50 drawings and door prizes and if you aren't in ''our little circle''. you won't be comming away with anything extra.

·
Registered
769 Posts
hardwork2 said:
I too am not overly thrilled with HOG. I don't think I am going to renew. The people at the local chapter are very clicky you may belong to our club but you don't belong to our little circle. At the meetings they have 50/50 drawings and door prizes and if you aren't in ''our little circle''. you won't be comming away with anything extra.

So what are you saying ,,,, you think they are rigging the 50/50 drawings? As for the little circle thing ,,,,most clubs are like that.... ya have to remember those people in that little circle no doubt have been riding together for quite a few years .....usually that little circle are also the ones that end up doing most of the work, on chapter events. rat

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
ratt said:
ya have to remember those people in that little circle no doubt have been riding together for quite a few years .....usually that little circle are also the ones that end up doing most of the work, on chapter events. rat
That is the truth for what I've seen in most groups HOG or otherwise. I travel too much to be a regular in our local chapter and there are those that work their lives around HOG.
I do enjoy the riding and appreciate the folks that put in the time to plan and work the events. I just ignore the "click" thing and volunteer when I can so I can give something back.

Sam

1 - 20 of 30 Posts