V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a HOG Chapter that doesn't have a sponsoring dealer? I've heard rumors of one in eastern Canada but have no leads to it if it does, in fact, exist.

We have a chartered chapter that's incorporated and our dealer is closing. We'd like to maintain our chapter and since we're already a chartered chapter, we're wondering if the MOCO has let chapters in these circumstances continue to exist.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
I am very sorry to tell you this, but a HOG chapter has to have a dealer sponsor.

We lost a dealer here, and the Pioneer Chapter had to fold along with them. Most were either taken in by Salem or Emerald city chapters.

The only option I think you have is to have a chapter absorb you into there chapter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking for any 'exceptions to the rules'. There must be some arguments for a chapter that has already been chartered and has incoprorated as a business entity. It would be helpful to know if an unsponsored chapter exists anywhere.

·
Thanks! I needed that.
3,271 Posts
HOG is owned by and is a division of HD. It is spelled out in the HOG bylaws that each chapter must be sponsored by an HD dealer, approved by HOG and be approved annually by HOG. A chapter not far from me had to disband when their sponsoring dealer closed its doors. HD told them their charter was being pulled and they could join other chapters in the area but that they must disband, period.

Also, HOG is set up as a 'non profit' organization. The IRS gets very testy regarding regulations for such organizations and adherence to the qualification sections of such bylaws are something to which they pay close attention. So, I doubt HD is willing to chance losing the tax exempt status for HOG by approving a non sponsored chapter.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
That happened here in Jersey, too. Edison HD folded and the HOG chapter was offered a spot at Liberty HD. The two dealerships are only about 10 miles apart.
The Edison chapter (last I heard) was going to try to start it's own MC club.

·
5,761 Posts
It should be said that youn can still stay a NATIONAL member without a local club.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOG membership is not the issue. We'd like to keep the group intact without having to merge with some other group. We're also looking at forming our own riding club, but if there's a precedent for an unsponsored chapter, we'd like to find out if one exists.

Technically, the rules for a 'non-profit' organization are more stringent than an ordinary incorporation. There may be a few chapters that have gone that route, but most I know of that have incorporated are not. The biggest difference is in the tax exempt status which we are not -- we have to file tax returns and pay the various federal and state taxes.

·
5,761 Posts
You could stay a NATIONAL member and form your own Non-HOG club using your old chapters name, but you can not call it a HOG club.

I would just set it up as an INDY club and register it with the AMA.

(Example: If the club in Albany Oregon that was disbanded wanted to do there own club, there chapter name was Pioneers, they could call there club "The Pioneer rides club" and be okay, they just can't call themselves Pioneer HOG.)

(Oh, and remember to stay away from using a three piece patch)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealership here didn't close its doors, but shut down the chapter because of too many "political squabbles"! :bannedmf:
The 'Gateway to the West' chapter was disbanded December 31, 2010.
I think the dealer has a year to reactivate the chapter before turning in the charter. :dunno:
Was a good chapter......not too big......lots of members got hurt, but have since moved on the other chapters.

Just sayin'

HJ

·
Thanks! I needed that.
3,271 Posts
The biggest difference is in the tax exempt status which we are not -- we have to file tax returns and pay the various federal and state taxes.
Not sure why you weren't tax exempt. The chapter I belonged to was and to my knowledge so were all the others in the area. As far as filing tax returns, even if you are tax exempt you still have to file a return.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The dealership here didn't close its doors, but shut down the chapter because of too many "political squabbles"! ..
Ya mean like some members wanted to think for themselves?
That's the reason I quit that group long past.
They wanted me to rubberstamp their opinions.
Opinions of the dealer,that is.

·
Thanks! I needed that.
3,271 Posts
OK I'll restart this argument.

Why not use Three Part Patches?
Well.........you could just toddle on up to somebody wearing one and ask them. :dry:

·
5,761 Posts
Well.........you could just toddle on up to somebody wearing one and ask them. :dry:
Be sure to ask them with a attitude and do act like a tough guy, they love that.:whistle:

·
Super Moderator
20,916 Posts
Not really the answers I was looking for. But I can go with these for a little while.

But while I'm asking about the patches and projecting some attitude, I could spit some chaw on the jugs of their scooters......just to hear it sizzle. Perhaps strike up the conversation just as my dog starts to mark their scooters as his own....

·
Thanks! I needed that.
3,271 Posts
Not really the answers I was looking for. But I can go with these for a little while.

But while I'm asking about the patches and projecting some attitude, I could spit some chaw on the jugs of their scooters......just to hear it sizzle. Perhaps strike up the conversation just as my dog starts to mark their scooters as his own....
Yep, that ought to endear ya :rolleyes:

BTW, just exactly which answers were you looking for...

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
You could look for a local Eagles club that has or wants to start an Eagles Riders chapter. That would keep your group together using their tax exempt status. American Legion has the Legion Riders but I'm not sure how that would work if you're not all vets.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Harley occasionally publishes an article concerning the 3-patch rule. Basically, if you wear three patches, your vest is fair game for the 1%ers. Part of initiation is stealing another biker's vest with colors. Although I gotta say if a probationary pledge for one of those clubs showed up with a HOG vest, he'd probably be laughed out of the club. Don't want trouble? Don't wear 3 patches. The MOCO has a long standing gentlemen's agreement with those clubs to not supply a lower rocker. They will not, either. If you want a lower rocker, you'll need to source your own.

As for Chapters without Dealers, I think to only Chapters not directly sponsored by dealers are military bases. Could be wrong, though. There are independent clubs here in Illinois who either started as a HOG Chapters or split off from a chapter. Many of the independents use HOG rules to run their clubs. So it has been done.

Dealers are not required to host a HOG chapter and don't get points or credits if they choose to. About 95% do support a chapter. In Illinois, there are about 32 dealers and 30 HOG Chapters. Chapters exist only if the dealer ok's them and can terminate a chapter at any time for any (or no) reason. It's HOG law.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
We have one of the oldest in the nation in Manchester, NH.
Which one?

Many years back I was affliated with a local GWRRA chapter. The national organization started demanding things we did not agree with. so we told them to kiss off. A large portion just started our own informal club that road together and met for breakfast once a month. It was actually a lot more enjoyable than belonging to the local chapter and still allowed attending national events if anyone so desired.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts