V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just joined this forum a few days ago & wanted to introduce myself to everyone here. I hope to have a long, fun-filled time while I frequent these forums. I guess I should fill everyone in on how I became a cycle (Harley) enthusiast. It's an interesting story, so if you've got the time to read it, please do so...

It all started out about 3 years ago with our neighbor buying a brand new Springer. My bro & I live together & have always had a great relationship with our neighbor. Anyways, he started talking about how a bike can totally change your life in so many ways. At first, we took it somewhat for granted, figuring that a cycle just wasn't for us (at least not for me, my bro was thinking otherwise). About a year & a half later, we purchased some water cycles (jetskis in lamens terms). Well to make a long story short, they turned out to be more trouble than they're actually worth. Don't get me wrong, I love riding jetskis & hated to see them eventually go. But all in all, it was the right thing for us to do since they are such high maintenance machines. My bro was looking to get a new toy & the only logical choice left was to get a bike. So he got his permit & then his license & then picked up a new Honda Shadow A.C.E. He loved that bike & had a blast riding it around all over the place. About a month after he got it, he tried to get me involved in bike riding...

At first, I was totally against the idea. I had always thought that they were way too dangerous. I've always heard about people getting killed on bikes & tried to convince myself that it just wasn't for me. But after weeks of persistent nagging & annoyance, I finally gave in & agreed to try to learn how to ride a bike. My bro & I went to our local high school parking lot where he proceeded to walk me through the steps that he learned in his motorcycle safety class (required to take in order to get a license here in PA). He walked me through rocking the bike, the friction zone, power walking, & stopping & I found myself catching on to all of there very quickly. Then we moved onto acceleration, shifting, turning, & stopping, all of which I did very well. Then we moved onto the more advanced lessons like stopping through a turn & downshifting & braking. No problems there.

When we were finally finished for the day, we went home. My bro asked how I liked it & I said that it was just ok (the modest soul that I am). When actually inside, I was already hooked on biking & couldn't wait to get back out there on the bike again to try some more stuff. Long story short, I went through all of the motions & even did a bit of road travel before I got my permit. Soon after my permit, my bro was looking at getting a Harley (namely a FatBoy cuz it fits him so well). By this time, I was ready to inherit his Shadow as a starter bike when he did get his Harley. We took a trip to Florida & he wound up trading in his Shadow for his new FatBoy (I was somewhat upset at first, but really couldn't blame him for doing so).

Now I'm taking the motorcycle safety classes to get my license & looking into getting a Harley of my own. I've toyed around with the notion of getting one of a few different models (Sportster Custom 1200, Wide Glide, or Softail Standard), but in the end, I've picked out the bike that's ultimately right for me. The FXSTB (Night Train). I'm now saving my pennies to get one of these babies. I've even picked out some custom accessories for it already. Now the only problem is finding the dough for it :D

Anyways, that's my story. Hope I didn't bore too many people with it. Thanks a bunch for your attention & I hope to see some of you around soon!

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story with us. Glad to have you aboard. Wish you luck in obtaining your Night Train. Your story sounds all too familiar. Don't give up, before you know it, you'll be riding.

Good choice to take the MSF safety course. It really is a positive learning experience that could one day save your life.

Enjoy the forums and make yourself at home.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us. The Night Train is a very good choice, you won't be disappointed. Good luck and look forward that post "Hay I got my bike!” you'll have a blast, but be safe.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts