V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm leaving on a 5k mile 2 week road trip in a few months and am gearing up my glide for the trip... i installed the rider back rest this weekend and am trying to decide where and how to mount the hiway pegs... so i need your guys help...i'm 5'10" riding an 01 flhtcui with a stock seat...thanks in advance SFB:hmmm:

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
I mounted mine on.....Ebay! After a couple of close calls I had with feet up on the HW pegs I decided to take them off. If you use them be aware that it will slow your reaction time considerably if you have to stop quickly. And no I am not a newbie. I have been riding for over 20 years on the street and I know how to stop. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't be here. My 2c.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Put 'em on snug, then sit on your bike and see how they feel, move 'em around some and see what's the most comfortable. It's all subjective to the individual. FWIW I have mine as far down the highway bar as they'll go, so I can ride with my legs stretched out. Frankencat is right too, it naturally slows the reaction time. Oh well, cay sera sera. (sp?)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hate having my feet sit up high. Moved my pegs to the lowest point possible on the crash bar. Gives me a lot more more control of the bike.
Plus, you don't wind up looking like your going for some type of horrible medical exam with your feet stuck up in the air. If you have problems reaching your pegs at the lowest point on the bar, they make offsets and extenders to get you to a comfortable spot.

Everyone has there own .02 on pegs. My .02 is they are a must for me, I am on them 100% of the time and only use my floorboards to shift or hit the rear brake.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the cautions and info guys...can yall tell me the brand and or name of the pegs and or mounts you use...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the H-D50957-02A (79.95) clamps and Kuryakyn Pilot pegs. While on your trip and you really want to slow that reaction time down, scoot down in the saddle and put your feet up on the top of your hi-way bar. Just another position. And I'm NOT condoning it. One of my riding buds looks like a statue when he's cruising, I'm all over the place.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Kuyrakny

I have KURYAKYN pegs on both my glides. One bike has the ISO set up (#7993)the other has the Cruise Pegs with ISO wings (#4552). I like both sets for different reasons. The 7993 set has a mount that tends to get loose after a while.

It took a while to get both sets where I liked them. The adjustment is directly related to you personal comfort. I spent more than a few hours on and off both bikes as I determined where to place them. In the end there was an amount of feel that made them just right.

I'd say you need to check out the Kuryakyn site and see what you think will look good on your ride.

I know I did a 3,500 mile tour on a fly-n-ride glide recently. I was sure unhappy that there were no pegs. I get stiff legs leaving them on the boards all day.

SAFETY: using pegs causes longer reaction time: I think there are lots of opinions on both sides. Remember back in the early days of the automobile some places outlawed radios because they would cause drivers to loose attention to their driving. Now we drive with a cell phone in one had and a latte in the other.:duh?:

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I have H-D p/n 50957-02a mounts with the H-D skull pegs. I have them mounted really low as well. I mounted them so that my heel can still rest on the floorboard and my toes on the pegs. Its really comfortable. Making it this way also allows me to put my whole foot on the peg as well....This makes for three foot positions. When i go on a long trip i also remove my heel shifter and can then i can put my feet way back on the boards, almost like dyna mid controls. I also find that very comfy for me...hope it helps

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I've got the ISO wings mounted low. They're set up so I can put my toes on them and my heels on the boards. Gives me a 3rd position and honestly I ride mostly that way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info guys...i'll get me some kuryakyns and mount them low so i can use the factory boards in conjuction...think i'll go with the cruise boards what do ya think...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just put highway pegs on my streetglide last weekend and much like most of you, I put them as low as possible so I can rest my heels on the footboards and my toes on the pegs and I have found it to be pretty comfortable, and as similar as I can get to my softail with forward controls.

Peck
01 softail
06 streetglide

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I also have mine mounted low so I can put my toes on them while resting my heels on the floorboards. Works great on long trips. You can also get to the brake pedal fast with them like this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i bought the kuryakyn dually pegs on the long armed mounts for us short legged riders and have them mounted down low in just the right spot but... i can't for the life of me get the clamp part of the mount to close up on the little spacer washer that keeps you from "crushing" the crash bar...i've used my bad ass 1/2 impact still can't get the clamp to snug up against the spacer washer... anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Sounds like heels on the boards and toes on the highway pegs is the position du jour... That is how I ride as well. Riding with my feet in this position actually gives me more control in the turns; applying pressure on the frame through the guard with my feet.

I bought the Kuryakyn Ergo-Guard with integral pegs. I like the look better than the stock engine guard.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I too mounted my pegs low. At first I was going mount them higher so they would stick out through the holes in my soft lowers but they didn't feel right up there. I ended up mounting them in the lower position and when its cold enough to use the lowers, I just loosen the clamps and spin them inward. I figured who would want to ride with there feet up in stirrups in the middle of winter with ice cold air blowing up your pantlegs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts