V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading home from work last Friday afternoon, on a heavily traveled semi-rural highway. Approached my turnoff, put the signal on, downshifted and braked and BANG - the lights went out.

I had seen a car way back behind me and knew that 1.) I'd been hit and 2). I was pretty sure I was dead.

Then I heard the sound of the car going past and felt my head hit the pavement. I slid and rolled a couple of times and finaly came to a stop. Opened my eyes and figured I wasn't dead yet but would be soon if I didn't get out of the middle of the road.

I got up fast and legged it to the curb at the side of the road. My bike was on its side about 50 feet further down the road, and all the oncoming traffic had stopped.

Took my helmet (HD half shell) off and felt the back of my head which was sore and bleeding. Two passing EMT's stopped to help, and I discovered I was bleeding from the back of my upper thigh.

EMS, fire and the police came. They immobilized me and took me to the ER. The other guy apparently stopped - finally - about a quarter mile down the road when his tire went flat. He was arrested for OWI at the scene, and there were chunks of his car embedded in the back of my bike and in my pipes.

I was doing about 10mph, and he never slowed down, no skid marks, so basically, I got hammered by him doing about 50 or more. Looks like it knocked the bike right out from under me.

Six hours in the ER. 15" deep gash on the back of my right thigh with an inner layer of stiches and 25 staples to close. Like Jimmy K says, that's gonna leave a mark! Broken right fibula. Left knee major road rash, and a matching patch out of the back of my scalp, with a chewed up ear. Assorted other whack & dings. Nobody could believe that I got up and walked off the road with a broken leg, but all I could think of was that I wasn't going to survive the crash only to get run over by oncoming traffic, and I was gonna get off that road whatever it took. Didn't even know it was broken until after I got to the ER.

There is no doubt that the Good Lord saved me Friday. The helmet took the whack that the ER doc said would have been unsurvivable without it (and he rides a dyna). Leather ground off of both shoulders of my jacket, and worn completely through on the bottom. Gloves chewed up. Same with boots.

So, the season is over for me. Been talking with my insurance company and don't know if it's a total on the bike. Seeing the orthopedic surgeon for wound care and a cast tomorrow. Gonna miss my vacation to Vermont next week, and it looks like an undetermined time out of work.

Pain meds help. All the EMS and ER folks were super. If you're ever in a crash, listen to the EMT's - they're in a better position to know what's good for you. With shock, you are in a different world.

All in all, I feel like the luckiest guy in America.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Glad you are still here. I'll hope the drunk that hit you does not get off very lightly. I lost a brother to a drunk driver, and he was in prison for 1 1/2 years, got out early from the 5 year sentence for "good behaviour".

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
You are one very lucky man! I am glad you are still here to tell us about it.

The bike can be replaced as can your trip here to Vermont. Heal up, and look over those new models. I hope the drunk cager pays dearly for not only hitting you, but trying to escape! He had no idea whether you were alive or passed! Jerks!!:thumbsdn:

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Very glad to hear you are OK, and very pissed at people who don't understand how exposed riders are out there, hope you rehab goes well. You are blessed!

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Man, I'm really sorry to hear about your encounter with the drunk and resultant injuries! Bad cracker! I'm really surprised you came out as well as you did. My best to you and good luck. I just got out of my leg cast and can assure you that daytime TV truly sucks.

Any idea what has happened to the drunk and if he has decent insurance......if any at all?

T113

·
natural-born world-shaker
2,978 Posts
Hate to read about something like that. Very glad you're relatively OK. It's a helluva feeling realizing you're not dead isn't it? and then the adrenaline kicks in. Get well soon.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
eprenzlow,

Glad your still with us bro. I have to agree with you that the "Good Lord" upstairs was looking out for ya. Sounds like a very scary event. Take your time and heal up quickly.

Regards,

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Whew...good luck to you with the healing...sounds as though your good luck had already started!!!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
wow.... condolences on the damage. Very glad you survived! Keep the good attitude and you'll heal faster than you though you could.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Holy crap thats scary. We hear many crash stories from LEO's on other forums, but its more frightening hearing from an actual victim! Glad to see you are here to tell the story yourself and I hope you heal up quickly.

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
eprenzlow... Glad you're still here... You're right, the Good Lord saved you...your time's not up here yet! I wish you a quick recovery. Getting hit from behind is one of those situations I fear the most. I really appreciate you sharing the details with us, in that it just might save some lives if we're in a similar situation.... I'll now have it drilled into my head to get off the road! Thanks very much, and God bless. -Martha

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I'm REALLY glad you're going to be OK. Stories like yours sure do shock you back to reality. Any time, any where...only other comment is..."There is no doubt that the Good Lord saved me Friday." If he was really with you, that car would have swerved and never even touched you!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
LUCKY, but unlucky too!!!!! hope the healin's quick cause it's true that daytime tv suks. GET WELL!!!!!!!!!!!:bowdwn:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Wow! I too am glad to hear that you're still alive a kickin'.

Take care and keep us posted on your situation.

regards,
wyo

·
HOGDOG
906 Posts
Our prayers for your quick recovery...get well soon.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts