V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the deer here in coastal Georgia must be in the rut...at least one was doing stupid $hit. Last Saturday (btw, 1st day of deer season) I was working overtime and left work at 0230. I'm cruising down a fairly well lit rode by the airport doing about 50 when I see this buck stick his head through the hedges lining the road on the right about 30 yards in front of me. What follows seemed like slow motion but happened in probably 2-3 seconds. As soon as I see the deer I start I get on the brakes and start towards the left lane (it's a divided 4 lane) to put distance between us. The deer takes off running across the road towards the median and I realize are paths will intersect...so I veer back towards the right lane to pass behind him...and what does he do...yep he stops and gives me the proverbial "deer in the headlights" look. At this point I'm out of maneuver room and ideas and my brain gets that sicking realization that I'm going to hit this sumbich! Luckily at this point I'm only doing about 20 mph as I had been braking the whole time. I nail him directly in the back leg with my front tire with a loud crack and send him flipping/spinning to my left and there I sit without a scratch trying to gather my wits. I watch the deer get back up, stunned, and run off into the median dragging his left rear leg...I snapped it with my front tire I'm sure. I ride very slowly up to a closed gas station about 200 yards ahead and check for damage...absolutley NONE that I can see. I ride the remaining 5 miles to the house shaking the whole way and once I get there in verify there is no damage to the bike, just a ruined pair of underwear. The ironic part of this just 10 minutes prior to this before leaving work I was telling a co-worker about the hazards of deer while riding home at night!! I was very lucky!!!

·
Retired and loving it!
1,009 Posts
Thank God you're OK John! That has to be one of my worst nightmares, hitting a deer on the bike.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Glad to hear neither you or the bike was damaged.

AG

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was very lucky. If I had been an inch or two to the left I would have missed the rear leg and the rear of the deer would have impacted with my handlebar and dumped me...a couple of inches to the left and the front tire would have gone underneath him and the deer would have impacted with the front forks/headlight/handlebars/me. Thank god there was not a car behind me or I would probably have been rearended too!

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Man that was lucky! You must have good braking skills. Glad you're OK. I put mine away a few weeks ago because the deer here are moving too. Had a close call..dark...530 am etc.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Deer Suck.........I work second shift and stopped riding to work after I saw 2 deer hit in less then a week just minutes ahead of me. I got hit by a big a$$ sheep dog a couple years ago I thought I was a goner. He went home with a big head ache, I was lucky glad to hear you were too !!!!

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Damn glad you're okay! That could of been really ugly........

I've hit 4 deer here in Minnesota with my work truck, and had them jump the car with the family in it while we're doing about 45-50 mph. That was nuts!!! They came across on my side. My wife says I threw my left leg and left arm up against the window as if I thought they were coming through the glass.....

Crazy damn things... Step on a twig, and they'll run to the next county. Yet they have no fear of a car, truck, or bike.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Oh dear!

Glad to hear you talk about it! Play the lottery that night?

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,630 Posts
Sounds like a God moment to me. Like where you thank Him that your still alive.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
one of my buddies says you should rewire the headlight to a real on/off switch. as soon as you see the deer turn the headlight off so the deer will stop focusing on it.
I was driving the car home from work in the dark last week and suddenly noticed 2 grey shapes on either side of me. I went between 2 deer and couldn't see them till I was right there.

Do those "deer whistles" that you put on your front bumper really work?

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Phukk I hate these stories...good this one's got a silver lining.
Learned a looong time ago, when I see one I brake to stop, not to try and outwit it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Been there. 8 months after I bought my bike, a deer came out of the woods and hit me on the left side and kept tumbling beside me. To this day I have no idea how I kept the bike up. Screwed up my leg and broke the shifter peg. Killed the deer though.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. Many aren't as lucky. The deer population is way out of hand here, as it is. This time of year, all the bucks are running around with a steamer on, and one thing on their mind. Beware.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
Glad to hear you made it through such a close call.
Guardian Angels are a great thing to have around.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Talk about pucker factor! Glad it turned out OK for ya. I'd gone back and bagged that f#cker though lol! Wonder how hard it would be to strap a deer across the handle bars? :hmmm:

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
HOLY [email protected] John!!!! I bet that gave you a pucker factor of 11 on a scale of 1 to 10!!

SO glad that you and your scoot came out of it with no damage! Too bad the deer can't say the same, but better him than you.

You sure had an angel on your shoulder that night!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts