V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever wonder what the Fatboy motorcycle was named after or where the inspiration of it’s design gestated from?

Not very many people know the history of a first edition Silver Fatboy. The name is reminiscent of the atomic bombs named "Fatman" and "LittleBoy" that were dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. The naming of the bike was not meant to offend, rather, it was done as a tribute to a certain period in time. If you notice the Fatboy's gas-tank emblem it somewhat resembles a U.S.A.F. wing emblem. The bombs where silver in color and had distinctive yellow rings painted on them. The motorcycle has seven yellow rings painted throughout the bike - one on the ignition ring, one on the primary inspection cover, two on the tank, one on the cam cover and two on the head covers. You definitely do not want to change the gun metal gray on the tank and fenders or frame on this first edition collector. With little advertising of the purpose behind this color scheme, the bike is now a very collectible item, not so much dollar wise, but more for what it represents.

Here is a picture of a 1990 Fatboy...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have a book about the history of Harley-Davidson. It goes on to describe the development of the FatBoy. Unlike many other bikes made by H-D which were derived from existing bikes, it was totally designed unique. If memory serves me correctly, the only thing similar to other is the frame. Which, everyone know is based on the Softail. I could be wrong and have been before, but the FatBoy is special in it's own right. Just as JFScheck stated earlier. J.T.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
JFScheck,

Something's been on my mind fer a while and now I just gotta ax you.

Most folks go from a cruiser style HD to a bagger, but you're going the other way (Road Glide to FatBoy, if I'm not mistaken).

Inquiring minds would like to know why?

nosey

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Going from a Superglide to a FatBoy.

No real reason for the swap other than cosmetic. Have ridden the he11 out of my SuperGlide (just sold it real cheap to my friend) and have rented a Fatboy four times over the past year (just last week was the last time) and ridden about 1800 miles on one and love it...

Guess I'm just nuts :rolleyes:

Plan on keeping this bike 4-evr and awaiting the additoinal purchase (if fundage were to allow) a Bagger when Harely starts seling them with the V-Rod engine :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
There's no doubt about it ..
The Fatboy is -da bomb-

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some pretty good stuff here :D

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This (sob, sob) can't be, I refuse to believe it, (sob, sob, sniffle), this story has got to be true:eek:

Damnit, first "Santa", then the "Easter Bunny", and now "The Origin of the FatBoy Name"? It's just too much for me to handle! :D

All well, still makes for a good story/urban legend. This "urban legend" sure is published in a lot of Harley Davidson Books for being a myth! :)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
fearnot69 said:
I have a book about the history of Harley-Davidson. It goes on to describe the development of the FatBoy.... J.T.
By your use of the words, "It goes on to describe...", you are implying that the book on HD history perpetuates the story about the FB being a tribute to Fat Man and Little Boy. Was that your intention?

Monkeyboy suggests our legs are being pulled, so does, btw, his link.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sorry too many coincidences there!
I'm sure that HD would try and downplay their intentions in the name of being PC, while counting on their market to know what's up. God forbid we piss off the Japs! Sh*t…they might stop making PlayStation in retaliation and force masses of American children up off their asses!

C'mon, there are more things that clearly link it to it, than there are that dispel it.
Sometimes the message is in what you don't say.

Once upon a time, Chevy filled cars with phallic symbols and "bumper bullets" that they later admitted were to inspire thoughts of sex/breasts; something that at the time of release, they too denied.

Do we all of a sudden count on corporate honesty in marketing????

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Anyone think Paul Teutul Jr. of "Orange County Choppers" built one hell of a bike to compliment the original Fatboy? Being an x-Naval Aviator, it would be cool to have both! The Fatboy shouldn't be too hard (cool, an 03 fatboy, and the "shaky" original") but I don't know if I can swing for that damn "Jet Bike" yet... Hey Paulie, if ya read this, I need you to make me a "Blue Angel" bike... :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
While HD officially denounces that they did all that for the bombings of Japan....do you think they'd actually admit it? It could be coincidental or it could be intentional...but the MoCo will never admit it was intentional even if it was.

·
Registered
2 Posts
canadian dealer

a few years before the fatboys debut there was a dealer in Canada putting fatboy stlyle fenders on softtails.If I can find the old magazine article I'll post more info.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ahhhh, snopes.com...

One of my favorite sites. I get all kinds of "stuff" at via email I find a bit hard to believe. I've shared this site with folks at work they will ask "have you snopes'd it?" when they get stuff too.

Don't belive everything you hear, even if it's on the internet............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts