V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to increase my 2001 Ultra to 95" this winter. I have SE a/c PCII and V/H slip on's.
I ride most of the time 2 up about 450lb. Most of my time out west, fully loaded. From Death Valley to the Colorado Rockies. I will also be getting a trailer to pull.
What I am looking for is your recommendation for a cam for low to midrange grunt. I will be sending you the juggs for boring and pistons when the winter sets in.
I am also getting White Bros 2 into 1 exhaust.
I did not buy this bike to be speed racer, I just want to be able to handle the mountain passes better than I can now.

Thanks,
St. Louis Bob

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That's a tough one. Pulling that sort of weight thru that sort of heat with a EFI bike isn't a easy project.

Normally I hate to use less cam then a 37b on these bikes, but if it will be the final configuration less cam would be better from a performance point of view, perhaps something along the lines of a TW26 or even a SE203 but the concern with EFI, and a MM in particular, would be to tune detonation out without losing too much fuel mileage.
I suppose the best course of action would be to wait on final cam decision until you pull the cylinders off and make it based on actual deck height and chamber volume of your actual engine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hippo,

Would having the heads worked over or different heads like S/E or the HTCC heads help at all. Or am I just working the motor to its limit.

Once again thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Pulling that sort of weight the return on the investment might be small.
Depends on riding style, the harder you ride it the more you gain, but that's not the typical MO of people that pull that weight.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Don't know if this will help or not. But I've got a 2000 Ultra 95" SE mufflers, and stage 1 upgrade. Stock cam. And I pulled a 450lb popup camper to Sturgis from Iowa and it pulled all the hills on I90 with power to spare at 70mph.
My hopped up 97 I had to drop a gear to pull some at 60mph

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK thanks. Imight try just going to 95" first. I know I am turning this in to a semi by pulling a trailer. But I will be damned if I am going to put it on a trailer just so I can go camping.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No problem, it's your bike and you have to build for the use you want to give it.

It's just that the more of a workhorse you want it to be, the more conservative you have to be in your approach.
All the real radical bikes are more of a plaything then a tool to do a job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.